Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: WIP // Reichgrad - A Surreal Low Tech World War Twist  (Read 17868 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Reichgrad v0.2 - An East Front Inspired Mod (40.03)
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 03:40:10 pm »

I have started to lay out plans for the other races and have them listed for feedback reasons.
Alright, that's what had me confused in the first place. The revamped steampunk/grimdark entities were what convinced me to download in the first place, so I'm looking forward to their release. However, I am curious; how different are you planning to make the various weapons and armors of each race? Will there be advantages to using, say, a salvaged Mekanik Dthbolt over your own rifles?

Yes, there are statistical differences in armor and weapons between races. Down the road if I can start grasping getting fancy with other people's scripts, the differences might become even greater.

I'll have to look at the bowyers workshop thing, that's odd. I would like the entity to have the weapons, I would have expected they would have the proper ammo as well, unless that is something that can't really be done with modding currently. If it's a raw issue, that will be fixed.
There are several hardcoded reactions associated with the weapons and armors in an entity's equipment tags. If you put a [WEAPON:] tag in there, for example, and the weapon uses the Crossbow skill, the game will let you make them from wood and bone at a bowyer's workshop. All armors will be available in metalsmith's forges to make, all ammo can be made out of wood and bone, and so on. Right now, you have the various guns in their respective entity files, which means the game allows you to make them out of silly materials and gives those weapons to generated crossbowmen. However, because you don't have [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_SHELL_RIFLE] in the entity files, the game won't give those generated crossbowmen the bullets they need for their guns. Weapons and armor made from reactions will still work perfectly fine, so the best solution (in my humble opinion) is to only place the primitive/simple weapons directly into an entity's allowed equipment, and keep the rest confined to reactions where you can define more complex steps required to make them.

Oh, interesting.

As for the other issues, including the neck fix, I plan on converting the mod and continuing forward in development using rubble, which should fix a lot of these issues. Currently I'm just sort of half ass effort learning how to use rubble, and at the same time waiting for updates to it so I can use it. The next update will be a rubble version, and hopefully should hold all the races and things I currently have listed.
All I know about Rubble is that it's a program that helps you edit RAWs, so the best I can do is wish you luck. While we're talking about workshop rewrites, however, why did you add so many reactions to make weapons? There's a reaction for every melee weapon and weapons-grade material, which really clutters up the Trench Forge.

It's more about generating raws from what I understand. Or rather it's more of a mass production type of deal. Make a tiny script and let rubble make an item in every single ore automatically for example.

In terms of the reactions, I don't know I thought you need a reaction for every single metal type you want on each of the weapons. I don't know if there's a way to make the "folders" that are on vanilla workshops.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 04:15:21 pm »

Yes, there are statistical differences in armor and weapons between races. Down the road if I can start grasping getting fancy with other people's scripts, the differences might become even greater.
Sounds good. Once those become a reality I can whip up some simple reverse-engineering reactions to make those weapons more usable.

In terms of the reactions, I don't know I thought you need a reaction for every single metal type you want on each of the weapons. I don't know if there's a way to make the "folders" that are on vanilla workshops.
You don't need to. Remember that if an entity is given access to a weapon ([WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_LANZE], for example), they'll be able to make it. So, in the Reich's case, the lanze will be added to the list of weapons they can make from a normal metalsmith's workshop, and the lanze reactions you have in the Trench Forge are redundant. There are a couple scenarios where a custom reaction would be needed, though. If you wanted to make a lanze out of something strange (stone, wood, or bone, for example), you'd need a custom reaction. If you wanted more reagents than metal bars, like a spear shaft and a spearhead, you'd also need a custom reaction. The same is true of armor; there are tags that determine if the armor is made of metal or leather, and when added to an entity they'll automatically be available from a leatherworker's shop or a forge.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 01:47:21 pm »

Noble preview for Wolfen and Soyuz.

Wolfen
#####Nobles:
- Bookkeeper: Readiness Leader
- Broker: Economy Leader
- Chief Medical: Medical Leader
- Hammerer: Gestapo
- Manager: Work Leader

- Militia Captain: Unteroffizier
- Militia Commander: Leutnant
- Sheriff: Watch Leader
- Captain of the Guard: Reich Guard Leader

- Mayor: Party Leader
- Expedition Leader: Community Leader
- Champion: Ubersoldat

- Monarch: Fuhrer
- Baron: Cell Leader
- Count: County Leader
- Duke: State Leader

- General: General
- Outpost Liason: Service Leader

Soyuz
#####Nobles:
- Bookkeeper: Minister of Finance
- Broker: Minister of Trade
- Chief Medical: Minister of Science
- Hammerer: Internal Affairs Commissar
- Manager: Minister of Labor

- Militia Captain: Militsya Kaptain
- Militia Commander: Militsya Kommander
- Sheriff: Political Kommissar
- Captain of the Guard: Kapitan

- Mayor: People's Kommissar
- Expedition Leader: Minister of Expedition
- Champion: Hero of the Union

- Monarch: General Secretary
- Baron: Minister of Settlement
- Count: Minister of County
- Duke: Minister of State

- Outpost Liason: Minister of Foreign Affairs

Also playing around with the occultism idea:

Wolfen:
####Occultism:
- Wolf Lycanthropy
- War Wolves

Soyuz:
####Occultism:
- Bear Lycanthropy
- War Bears

Enders:
####Occultism:
- Rejections(Mutants)

Mekanik:
####Occultism:
-Enchanted Weaponry

Demonyeich:
####Occultism:
- Demon Conversion
- Demon Summons
- Agony Bearers

Stalkers:
####Occultism:
- Rat Lycanthropy
- Plague

and I plan on adding dinos and a few other beasts
###Bestarium
- T-rex
- Spinosaurus
- Deinonychus
- Utah Raptor
- Faction Specifics
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:47:44 pm by Vherid »

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 07:08:42 pm »

First of all I love the mod, keep it up :)

More foreign-sounding names maybe? You should ask a german and deon for help with those though.

Wolfen
#####Nobles:
- Bookkeeper: Schreiber /Chronicler
- Broker: Ekonomiekommendant / Ekonomie Offizier
- Chief Medical: Hauptartz    /   Fuhrer-Doktor
- Hammerer: Gestapo       /   Gestapo
- Manager: Arbeitsfuhrer   /   Chief Work Enforcer

- Militia Captain: Offizier                   
- Militia Commander: Unteroffizier
- Sheriff: Polizei Kommandant      /   Police Kommandant
- Captain of the Guard: Gardee Kommandant  / Fuhrerguard Kommandant

- Mayor: Parteifuhrer  /  Local Party Fuhrer
- Expedition Leader: Feldgruppekommandant   / Settlement Kommandant

- Baron: Parteioffiziel    /  Industrie Baron
- Count: Landfuhrer    /  Burgermeister
- Duke: Provinzprasident    /  Provincial President

- Outpost Liason: Sicherungsdienst  /  Inspector Offizier

Soyuz
#####Nobles:
- Bookkeeper: Commissar of State Archive
- Broker: Commissar of Trade
- Chief Medical: Commissar First Scientist
- Hammerer: NKVD Commissar
- Manager: Commissar of Labour

- Militia Captain: Kapitan Militsyi
- Militia Commander: Paruchik Militsyi  / Komandir Odtl. Militsyi
- Sheriff: Politruk  /  NKVD Enforcer
- Captain of the Guard: Komandir Gvardyi

- Mayor: Commissar Nachalnyik  / Local Party Chairman
- Expedition Leader: Glavnyi Razvyedchik  / Revolution Export Expert

- Monarch: General Secretary
- Baron: Nachyialnik Stancyi  / Chief Commisar of Interior
- Count: Nachyialnik Mesta  /  City Commisar
- Duke: Nachyialnik Provintsyi /  Local Party Leader

- General: Komfront
- Outpost Liason: Commissar of Foreign Affairs
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:53:27 am by Ovg »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 07:24:47 pm »

First of all I love the mod, keep it up :)

More foreign-sounding names maybe? You should ask a german and deon for help with those though.

Yeah I started using stuff like unteroffizier and etc, using the actual names of the ranks they used in ww2 or etc. Starshina for the soviets. The problem with that, and what I juggle with, is the idea of someone else just coming into the mod and the concepts. Now the weapons, I gave them all unique names because to a unknowing person if you think about it, what the fuck is a "scimitar", well its a weapon that looks like this. These weapons all have a uniqueness to them in such a similar way that just calling them swords or daggers would be silly, and boring. Now some of the words for different weapons come from the other nation's translation, But with things like the Scimitar, we don't look at it and go, oh that's a sword in our language, No, It's a scimitar. It's unique.

Ranks and Nobles are a very different story. Offizier is pretty easy to make out, and a lot of the german names you have listed sound close enough to english counterparts that a person could probably make them out. But what the fuck is a Hauptartz? I can see there it's chief medical, If I look at the list, but thats looking at the list, and that makes things for new users a bit more of a pain. They already have to do it for all the weapons most likely. This gets harder when a lot of the russian names have very very different sounding terms as well, a lot less counterparts that sound similar to english versions.

This leaves a question of balance between going proper, and going user friendly, and personally, I'm not really sure where to go with that. I am perfectly okay with using all the proper terms and such, it does add flavor, and I have no problem figuring out what means what. This mod is for me mostly, but still I feel if a majority of people would be iffy with that, then I don't know.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 01:54:27 am »

That... is a well good point. How bout you splice em up with zome falz Germanz and Pseudoski Ruskii? Also languages will be fun. You could tots add random pieces of propaganda as words.

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:FOOLISH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 09:02:23 am »

For the soviets every position should have the name "comrade" and you have to figure out what they do via deduction.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »

###Wolfenreich
#####Nobles:
- Bookkeeper: Ration Offizier
- Broker: Ekonomie Offizier
- Chief Medical: Medizinfuhrer
- Hammerer: Gestapo Kriminalinspektor
- Manager: Laborkraft Offizier

- Militia Captain: Unteroffizier
- Militia Commander: Leutnant
- Sheriff: Polizei Kommandant
- Captain of the Guard: Fuhrerguard Kommandant

- Mayor: Parteifuhrer
- Expedition Leader: Feldgruppekommandant

- Baron: Industrie Baron
- Count: Landfuhrer
- Duke: Provinz Offizier

- Outpost Liason: Herr Inspektor

###Soyuzgrad
#####Nobles:
- Bookkeeper: Arkhivy Komissar
- Broker: Ekonomika Komissar
- Chief Medical: Medik Komissar
- Hammerer: NKVD Komissar
- Manager: Labor Blok Serzhant

- Militia Captain: Militsiya Kapitan
- Militia Commander: Militsiya Komandir
- Sheriff: NKVD Serzhant
- Captain of the Guard: NKVD Kapitan

- Mayor: Blok Partiya Komissar
- Expedition Leader: Ekspeditsiya Komandir

- Monarch: General Sekretar
- Baron: Okrug Ministr
- Count: Oblast Ministr
- Duke: Rayony Ministr

- Outpost Liason: Liason Komissar

Played with more proper/cognate balancing, psuedo is the way to go.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 05:57:27 pm »

Vherid, you've got it  ;D Glorious!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 08:30:17 pm »

The more I go through this the more it is kind of post apocalyptic, but not really. I like to look at it more as desolate scorched hellhole wasteland state the world exists in, but it isn't this ragtag post apocalyptic, low population survivor thing going on.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:45:11 am by Vherid »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 03:33:15 am »

The transliterations look funny, otherwise great job :). It looks cool, and going more post-apoc style is always amazing for me.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2014, 08:06:25 pm »

More planning/fleshing out ideas/information:

Wolfenreich:

Soyuzgrad:

Enders:

Vigil:

Mekanikists:

Demonyeich:

Stalkers:

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2014, 03:57:13 pm »

The lack of comments is depressing, so I'll just let you know I'm still interested and hovering. Just a few misc. comments...

pistol/IDW/shotgun/SMG/Rifle/AR/LMG/Antimat

I'm curious how you plan to differentiate between ranged weapons. In vanilla DF there's very little you can do to change a weapon's performance; did you have something clever in mind?

I also find it strange that the Mekanikists are described as using 'powerful weaponry' but only have rifles, pistols and bows. Any reason you don't want them having antimats, for example?

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2014, 05:18:04 pm »

Hmm, you could have railguns with velocity and bullet size big enough to punch holes into things...

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2014, 05:30:23 pm »

The lack of comments is depressing, so I'll just let you know I'm still interested and hovering. Just a few misc. comments...

pistol/IDW/shotgun/SMG/Rifle/AR/LMG/Antimat

I'm curious how you plan to differentiate between ranged weapons. In vanilla DF there's very little you can do to change a weapon's performance; did you have something clever in mind?

I also find it strange that the Mekanikists are described as using 'powerful weaponry' but only have rifles, pistols and bows. Any reason you don't want them having antimats, for example?

I know, I enjoy feedback as it helps me shape things, and the lack of it while I dont blame anyone, is kind of lame.

I head about Rose's scripts I think who made scripts that change projectiles so he could make like machine guns and such. How far I get with that is still in the air, but at least I have it planned out in case it can work. In terms of like the pistol/shotgun/rifle/antimat that was already in there, there are statistical differences that make them relatively work as they should in real life comparisons. IDW would be the same as my original ideas like weaponized BB guns and such, they're improvised defense weapons, and kinda pull from the idea of the weaponry in Metro more. Maybe it changed with the update, but before .40 the differences were definitely there, enough to matter. Who knows though, maybe I'll pull it back to all only rifles, I don't know. We'll see how it turns out.

Mekanikists are really so far the group I feel less interested in, I might just remove them entirely, they were only there to serve a replacement for dwarves, and I was planning to give them like actual lightning powered weapons or some shit through DFHack scripting maybe, but that's shit I really don't understand at all, and really the rest of my personal thoughts of their lore is very under-developed and lacking compared to all the others I feel more strongly about, so I'm going to drop them actually I think.

Hmm, you could have railguns with velocity and bullet size big enough to punch holes into things...

That's basically what the Anti-Material weapon is. They're based off of world war 2 anti tank rifles, before rocket launchers/recoiless rifles came into play.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5