Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: WIP // Reichgrad - A Surreal Low Tech World War Twist  (Read 18032 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Reichgrad v0.2 - An East Front Inspired Mod (40.03)
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2014, 03:22:43 am »

I've had a lot of fun with this mod, but I can't get the guns to work.  Can't even press rounds.  And the bullets/buckshot doesn't work with the firearms.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 12:47:03 pm »

I've had a lot of fun with this mod, but I can't get the guns to work.  Can't even press rounds.  And the bullets/buckshot doesn't work with the firearms.

Weird. There might be some issue of when I accidentally named certain things wrong and swapped out other things. At this point I'm probably just gonna rebuild the system from the ground up before going further, but in general I'm just too busy with school right now to really dig into it.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2014, 04:55:50 am »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a 40.13 update!
I've turned the forums (and the internet) upside down trying to find a weapon- and race-based mod and this is the only one I've seen and liked.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2014, 10:08:56 am »

I've turned the forums (and the internet) upside down trying to find a weapon- and race-based mod and this is the only one I've seen and liked.

If anything, it's gonna wait till 40.14 or whatever the tree harvest update is. But I should start doing some stuff today just to have it be closer to ready.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 06:13:27 am »

If anything, it's gonna wait till 40.14 or whatever the tree harvest update is. But I should start doing some stuff today just to have it be closer to ready.
NOOOOO!!!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 10:47:38 am »

NOOOOO!!!

It's not like the update isn't dropping any day now.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2014, 02:36:01 am »

NOOOOO!!!

It's not like the update isn't dropping any day now.

Soooo, 40.14's out now, so um, when you gonna do the update?

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2014, 03:25:59 am »

working on it

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2014, 03:35:34 am »

What graphic/tileset will be in it?

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2014, 11:26:56 am »

What graphic/tileset will be in it?

Whatever tileset you want, I won't supply/support that. If you want graphics you're gonna have to add those yourself. Raws will be default ascii linked.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2014, 08:50:02 am »

*twitches*

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2014, 06:17:46 pm »

The puush images you posted with your latest ideas seem to have broken. Do you mind reposting them? I'm sorry to bother you, as real life seems to have gotten in the way of your modding, but I'm still interested in your ideas.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2014, 07:57:56 pm »

PTW

I was looking for this exact mod and despite I didn't know it existed I clicked my way through here without hesitation. DESTINY.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2014, 08:28:16 pm »

*twitches*

Yeah I thought I would have done some stuff by now, but I haven't. School fucking kills me. I actually want to start working on it again and all day tomorrow I won't have any internet access so that should be good.

The puush images you posted with your latest ideas seem to have broken. Do you mind reposting them? I'm sorry to bother you, as real life seems to have gotten in the way of your modding, but I'm still interested in your ideas.

That takes like two seconds if I still have them somewhere, no big deal. If not I'll have to make some new ones certainly.

PTW

I was looking for this exact mod and despite I didn't know it existed I clicked my way through here without hesitation. DESTINY.

It'll be a while I'm sure before it REALLY gets anywhere.

I've still been thinking about what to do, and fleshing out the races this whole time though. I cut weapon selection down to just rifles/pistols/antimaterials for ranged weaponry again. No more bows/crossbows, and all the diverse types of weapons just aren't going to work unless there's some sort of magical scripting or DFHack magic that can make things like machine guns work. Roses has a projectile script but as far as im aware it gives a creature a unique ability to do such things as opposed to the item doing those things. I'm not interested in that for this as it just isn't the same. I don't even know how to implement scripting anyways. I changed some weapons names, as you can notice a lot of them are nation dependent sort of things, soyuz using soviet weapons, reich using german weapons, enders using kind of americanized terms, Vigil using asian and ancient things, demons using finnish names. etc. I removed the dwarven faction, it was the least interesting of these races, and I started leaning vigil towards some of the original ideas I had for the Ra Cultist race I started designing a while ago.

There's still a lot more to clean/flesh out for each race, and probably a lot more things to think about and add. I really need to start thinking of more creatures for the overall bestarium, I don't want to stick with boring dogs and cats and etc. I want each race to have their own unique domestics. The world should have all sorts of crazy different things too instead of just the Terran animals we know today.

Now as you can see, school is killing me, the semester is almost over but I really don't know how much longer it would take for shit to get done. If you have ideas for any of these, please let me know, I won't just add anything, but I'll seriously consider anything interesting.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2014, 09:57:35 pm »

I cut weapon selection down to just rifles/pistols/antimaterials for ranged weaponry again. No more bows/crossbows, and all the diverse types of weapons just aren't going to work unless there's some sort of magical scripting or DFHack magic that can make things like machine guns work.

I'm curious about why you decided to remove primitive ranged weapons; they'd fill a valuable niche as low-cost ranged weaponry. As far as guns go, however, this is a problem most modern/futuristic mods face; the Dwarf Fortress engine simply isn't friendly towards ranged weapons. Something you could consider doing is giving some guns edged attacks; a shotgun or assault rifle could then fire a 'spread' or 'burst' of bullets, fully capable of removing limbs and otherwise doing massive damage. There are several obvious problems there; the issue of picking bullets off of the ground would be even more obvious when those bullets are supposed to be shotgun spreads or rifle bursts; shotguns in particular would have the same range as other weapons; and the general behavior would be the same as other weapons, leaving you with a gamey solution.

Something else you might consider is removing shields, or putting them further up the tech tree. Ranged weaponry will become more effective when the only defense against it is dodging, a harder skill to train than blocking or parrying. This also neatly subverts strange things like a -wooden buckler- deflecting antimaterial rounds.

The world should have all sorts of crazy different things too instead of just the Terran animals we know today.

I agree; the current state of things, where the world is filled with an enormous amount of mundane creatures, is a bit disappointing. I'm not sure what sorts of creatures would be thematically appropriate for the world you're trying to build, but I'll dwell on it and see what I come up with.

Now as you can see, school is killing me, the semester is almost over but I really don't know how much longer it would take for shit to get done.

Yeah, I know how stressful school can get. Best of luck with it, eh?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5