Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: WIP // Reichgrad - A Surreal Low Tech World War Twist  (Read 17867 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Reichgrad v0.2 - An East Front Inspired Mod (40.03)
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2014, 10:19:42 pm »

I cut weapon selection down to just rifles/pistols/antimaterials for ranged weaponry again. No more bows/crossbows, and all the diverse types of weapons just aren't going to work unless there's some sort of magical scripting or DFHack magic that can make things like machine guns work.

I'm curious about why you decided to remove primitive ranged weapons; they'd fill a valuable niche as low-cost ranged weaponry. As far as guns go, however, this is a problem most modern/futuristic mods face; the Dwarf Fortress engine simply isn't friendly towards ranged weapons. Something you could consider doing is giving some guns edged attacks; a shotgun or assault rifle could then fire a 'spread' or 'burst' of bullets, fully capable of removing limbs and otherwise doing massive damage. There are several obvious problems there; the issue of picking bullets off of the ground would be even more obvious when those bullets are supposed to be shotgun spreads or rifle bursts; shotguns in particular would have the same range as other weapons; and the general behavior would be the same as other weapons, leaving you with a gamey solution.

Something else you might consider is removing shields, or putting them further up the tech tree. Ranged weaponry will become more effective when the only defense against it is dodging, a harder skill to train than blocking or parrying. This also neatly subverts strange things like a -wooden buckler- deflecting antimaterial rounds.

Now as you can see, school is killing me, the semester is almost over but I really don't know how much longer it would take for shit to get done.

Yeah, I know how stressful school can get. Best of luck with it, eh?

I don't know. Originally I only had some nations holding bows, and it was indeed a poor man's weapon. I don't really like it though. People still use bows today certainly in such a diverse age of firearms, but in war situations, especially a really dark apocalyptic sort of situation, I would imagine anyone who wants to fight ranged, is going to prefer a firearm, and shouldn't have much trouble finding one with so many dead. I'd rather more people have firearms because that makes things uglier. I did have the shotgun for a while and basically I had it shoot a very big blunt object to try to mimic buckshot, not so much edged. I think the antimaterial is basically a big edged round, though I haven't looked at the raws in so long now, but the anti-mat used to just easily blow limbs off. The shotgun was better and just shattering bones and throwing people back, which I find a more realistic approach to buckshot. I don't remember why I removed them as well. I might put them back in, I don't know. I would rather hope for a way to properly implement a buckshot type projectile. I don't want too much focus on firearms though, I still want plenty of melee being used, which is probably why I dropped them. Bolt actions are certainly a finicky thing to use in close combat, pistols are just weak.

Shields are things given to melee guys, or the really heavy guys, maybe I'll make them more expensive to be rare-er or something like that. I know there's not really any ways in this game to make only a certain amount or preference of people be equipped with them, at least not what I can remember, but that's the intent. Again we'll see what happens as I re-dig into things and how things seem to play out in the state of the game today, I haven't even tried fucking around with this stuff after the projectile fixes so I don't really know what to expect anymore. I kind of wanted to re-write everything from scratch again so we'll see.

It's not that school is stressful, it's just a lot of work time wise. No big deal really, but thanks.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIP // Reichgrad - A Surreal Low Tech World War Twist
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2015, 01:23:16 pm »

Oooooooooookay.

It's time I come back to this. Right off the bat I'm removing the anti-material rifles for now as well, and it's only going to be melee + pistols/bolt actions. I'm starting the RAWs over from scratch so it will be a bit before there's any DLs again, but I am working on ideas and things again. I might go through each of the races and refine them even more, but as it stands right now, is the most up to date thoughts I've had so far.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2015, 02:49:35 pm »

it's only going to be melee + pistols/bolt actions

May I ask about your reasoning? It seems to me that pistol/rifle/ani-material was a logical progression.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2015, 03:46:14 pm »

it's only going to be melee + pistols/bolt actions

May I ask about your reasoning? It seems to me that pistol/rifle/ani-material was a logical progression.

I just want to see how it flows this way first. If there's reason to add even more, then I would do so.

Also furthermore, I would want something like the AMs to be rare if anything. They're super OP rifles at the moment, and not much difference than the rifles other than far bigger numbers. What I might do is make it a "purchasable" item through some workshop for gold coins or something, in such a way that instead of every nation having their own, they all kind of come from one supplier company in some off part of the world. Originally they were planned to be used to fight off the super-heavy armored guys, so maybe they'll be back quickly. I might also want to instead experiment with launch-able explosives like a panzerfaust or something.

bluemovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2016, 01:08:07 am »

Hi. I think your mod has been abandoned. But here we haven't any link for downloading your work. If you want, do you upload all that you already create? This is can be very useful (for me) and simple interesting to see for everyone
Sorry for my english

bluemovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2016, 03:56:41 pm »

Knock-knock. Are anybody here?
Can we still see link on last state of your mod?
Sorry for my english

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2016, 05:07:30 pm »

Knock-knock. Are anybody here?
Can we still see link on last state of your mod?
If Vherid didn't respond here, send a PM. If he doesn't respond even then, well, necroing the thread isn't going to do much.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2016, 07:38:51 am »

Hi. I think your mod has been abandoned. But here we haven't any link for downloading your work. If you want, do you upload all that you already create? This is can be very useful (for me) and simple interesting to see for everyone

Did you ever play the mod? If there weren't many implemented features different from what is described in this thread, it might be easy to recreate the mod from nothing.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2016, 06:39:17 pm »

Here, have fun
https://www.dropbox.com/s/92v0t9f1k70rq9c/Projekt-Reichgrad.zip?dl=0

It was always technically up, I just moved the github shit around so the link was dead. I don't know if I'll ever return to this, I've been way too busy with other things to really focus on this sort of thing anymore, and the capabilities of modding still quite aren't there enough for me to be interested. This also probably won't be functional with the current version.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2016, 07:04:30 pm »

Here, have fun
https://www.dropbox.com/s/92v0t9f1k70rq9c/Projekt-Reichgrad.zip?dl=0

It was always technically up, I just moved the github shit around so the link was dead. I don't know if I'll ever return to this, I've been way too busy with other things to really focus on this sort of thing anymore, and the capabilities of modding still quite aren't there enough for me to be interested. This also probably won't be functional with the current version.

Technically .40 was almost completely compatible with .42, so hopefully the conflicts won't be too problematic to resolve. In any case, I've grown a recent hankering to fight armies of Nazis recently, for some reason, so just having the names and equipment should help.  :D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

bluemovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2016, 03:29:31 pm »

Oh! Thanks. It was interesting..
So strange name for clothes and weapon :D
Sorry for my english

Paranoid Alaskan

• Bay Watcher
  • Kingdom Stealing Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2016, 09:00:52 pm »

This mods dead or is it still being worked on? I like the idea for it so I hope it isn't dead.
Dwarven politics will probably look like CK2's but with more FUN!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2017, 12:32:40 pm »

Ok, I'm going to TRY, and that's a very light TRY to get things going on this again. It's been a long time and while the overall core idea will be the same, I'm sure a lot of minor things will change. I want this to be a lot more than two flavors of humans going to war, I want the two main factions to be drastically different and that's what I'm going to try and work on first.

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2017, 07:35:51 pm »

Hooray! I'm wondering how this'll interact with the artifact release...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]