Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: Bay12's posting history.  (Read 57319 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12's posting history, a spreadsheet.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 07:40:02 pm »

Really, there was a crazy members-online jump back in late 2010? What happened back there?
December 8th, 2010 is still a mystery to me, however.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 07:45:37 pm »

According to devlog, that day Toady posted a bunch FotF reply links... and that's it v:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 07:55:59 pm »

Added to the OP. Thank you.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 08:05:08 pm »

What I'm getting is that due to the lack of a new release, there are less new members joining, and less new topics made. In addition, the amount of new members in 2012 may have something to due with all the press coverage of DF at the time, including the MoMA stuff. Members online is mostly steady, with brief spikes around releases. In addition, the amount of posts per month is experiencing a steady increase over time, tripling since the start of 2009.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 08:37:57 pm »

That's the same impression I had. I suspect that we are becoming a smaller but more active forum.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 08:51:02 pm »

Starting in roughly 2014 we changed how members were registered because of the love bots -- about 2/3rds (very approximately) of the signups before then starting especially around 2011 were spammers.  Now they only get in every once in a while.  I'm still cleaning that up (I've deleted at least ten thousand accounts over the last couple years, and there's a lot left to go).  So total member counts are basically useless, though members online isn't really affected by spammers (except maybe that weird day).  As far as I can tell, the actual-people membership slowly increases, as does the people online, with the release spikes.  Everything else seems to track with that as well, though I haven't done much with it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 09:20:03 pm »

That's actually really interesting. Thanks!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 12:34:18 am »

Its less FG and more RP, actually. Realm of the mad god Rise of the magic girls has a ridiculous amount of posts for something that isn't a huge rtd or in general discussion, it has somewhere in the rage of 40-50% of the posts the happy thread has according the the bars in the stats center.
It's stupid huge.
Like the primary reason I'm not second highest post count on the forum right now huge.

I vary my FG&RP steroids.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 01:43:21 am »

Starting in roughly 2014 we changed how members were registered because of the love bots -- about 2/3rds (very approximately) of the signups before then starting especially around 2011 were spammers.  Now they only get in every once in a while.  I'm still cleaning that up (I've deleted at least ten thousand accounts over the last couple years, and there's a lot left to go).  So total member counts are basically useless, though members online isn't really affected by spammers (except maybe that weird day).  As far as I can tell, the actual-people membership slowly increases, as does the people online, with the release spikes.  Everything else seems to track with that as well, though I haven't done much with it.
Christ, how do you even find that many bots?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 02:12:06 am »

Sweet! I don't normally have time to check the stats since I'm usually only just refreshing some certain people's post history obsessively.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 02:19:14 am »

Christ, how do you even find that many bots?
It was pretty bad for a while. :P (And it wasn't helped that a fair share of the bots/bot-people would sign-up, and then wait for quite a while before actually posting anything).

IIRC it messed with the male:female report for the stats quite a bit as well. For some reason a huge chunk of the bots were declaring that they were female, and we got almost to a 3:1 male to female ratio for a while.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 10:51:44 am »

The vast (Vast) majority of the bots (or people-bot combos, or zombie crowd-sourced captcha or whatever undead cyborgey thing they are) never post.  They just set their website and/or their signature to link some place and never come back.  Then I get emails from either the person that did it or somebody that ends up with that domain two years later complaining about being black-listed by google and threatening me.  I find the largest groups of them when they fail to vary their IP addresses much.  The forum lets me do searches with IP wildcards, and zero posts, and hasn't logged on for a year, then I feel pretty confident just deleting page after page of random lowercase letter-number user names with the same variants on an email address.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 11:58:42 am »

I have a much better question:

How do you find time to work on DF if you have to delete that many spambot accounts!?
From what I understand, he spends the first part of his day at home programming dwarf fortress pretty much with minimal interuption, and then later in the day he goes over to his brother Threetoe's place, and that's when he moderates on the forums, without being distracted by programming.
He just divides up his day, and manages his time really well.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 10:32:31 pm »

I have a much better question:

How do you find time to work on DF if you have to delete that many spambot accounts!?

Probably wouldn't take long, like mopping the house or doing laundry. When you've deleted a thousand spambots, you learn to delete 10 thousand pretty quick :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 02:10:17 am »

On a slightly related note it appears that the post count for the DF Wiki discussion board is broken. The forum seems convinced that the board only has 3 total posts (despite having 152 topics) and thus anyone who has posted 3+ times in it automatically gets this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22