Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: Bay12's posting history.  (Read 57357 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12's posting history.
« Reply #300 on: January 05, 2017, 05:09:36 pm »

Updated!

2016 in review: Since the release of DF2014 0.42.01 in December 2015, activity has generally been slowing down. Certain metrics have been slowing much more than others:
  • This year set second and third places for fewest New Topics per month. October '15 holds the #1 slot.
  • New Members per month has been holding remarkably steady for the last three years.
  • Most Members Online per month has also been holding very steady on the last year.
  • Posts per month have been in a dangerous decline. January had 75547 posts, but only 31276 posts were made in December, 41% of the beginning. An average of of 4000 fewer posts were made each month this year.

I'm most concerned about Posts per Month, because most of the other metrics return to a floor, one set by activity on the lower boards, after the rush of DF discussion posts after updates. I don't know what the floor is here, so I'm getting worried as to how low the floor is for Posts per month.

In other news, Toady is on a 7 month ban-streak. C-c-c-combo!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 06, 2017, 05:28:24 am »

I believe it might have something to do with the rise in Discord use for idle chatter in FG&RP.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 06, 2017, 07:42:35 am »

I'm happy to find this tread, I have been doing the same stats about the data for something like 2 years :)
It has more sense when you add a 365-day trend (less "accidents" like new versions or special events).

Perhaps you should add the donation data (published, each month, by Toady), that's (I think) really interesting, too.
There is a quite strong correlation between donations and activity (in general) until patreon came. After that, activity fell, and donations progressed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #303 on: January 06, 2017, 07:56:55 am »

Hahaha I wonder if you can correlate ban streaks with world events

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #304 on: January 06, 2017, 12:40:19 pm »

I believe it might have something to do with the rise in Discord use for idle chatter in FG&RP.
Who's using discord for fgrp chatter?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 06, 2017, 01:11:31 pm »

Also, is it *a* discord for fgrp, or several little ones for individual rps?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 06, 2017, 01:32:28 pm »

Who's using discord for fgrp chatter?
Also, is it *a* discord for fgrp, or several little ones for individual rps?
Lots of the prolific posters, and several little ones.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2017, 05:48:52 pm »

That's an interesting hypothesis. I'll have to look into it.

I'm happy to find this tread, I have been doing the same stats about the data for something like 2 years :)
It has more sense when you add a 365-day trend (less "accidents" like new versions or special events).

Perhaps you should add the donation data (published, each month, by Toady), that's (I think) really interesting, too.
There is a quite strong correlation between donations and activity (in general) until patreon came. After that, activity fell, and donations progressed.
That's awesome! Can I look at your data, to compare our methodologies?
I'll look into including that too! Thank you!

Almost certainly. I just don't really want to go there, ya know? That gets me a little too close to the action, which I like to stay far away from.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 06, 2017, 06:20:41 pm »

Here's a potential hypothesis:
The reduction in post count is a result a combination of the lower amount of new members, as those are the ones who would need the most help in learning the game and would make posts asking for it, combined with two factors from FG&RP: the utilization of discord for OOC chat for forum games, as well as some of the major players of RPs having started to burn out a bit.  A fair number of them have been around for quite some time and their post counts are in the tens of thousands with average counts in the dozens per day.  At those numbers, we should be seeing a bit of burnout eventually, and if there are few of similar disposition coming in, the high will start to drop off.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2017, 06:18:16 am »

That's awesome! Can I look at your data, to compare our methodologies?
I'll look into including that too! Thank you!

Of course (and with pleasure ^^). I'll send it to you tomorrow.
When looking to the data, I felt it has some correlation with the number of people (weirdly, the better correlation was with the max online) on the forum.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 21, 2017, 12:03:41 am »

Well, now's an excellent time to test this hypothesis. I didn't know BFEL very well, but I'm going to guess he was banned thanks to something to do with the inauguration?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 21, 2017, 12:16:10 am »

Flaming in the Ameripol thread, yeah. It's all deleted now.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 21, 2017, 12:44:24 am »

Then, in this case, I think we can safely say yes, there is a correlation. We will have to conduct further research into this subject.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 22, 2017, 06:27:02 am »

Oh, I forgot to send you my data :) I'll try not to forget a second time...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 22, 2017, 06:46:34 am »

No worries. When ever you get the chance would be great!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22