Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I made a LD48 game: Coalmine Manager (Web game)  (Read 780 times)

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I made a LD48 game: Coalmine Manager (Web game)
« on: May 03, 2014, 06:19:16 am »

So yeah, I've attended LD48 two times, last weekend I did too. Usually I don't find much point in cross promoting the games I make, but this time the end result seemed like the type of game B12 would like. So I thought I would do some shameless advertising and post it here.

Would be cool if anyone would like to take it for a spin.

The game

It is essentially a manager game, with some light gameplay. In the game, you manage a coalmine. Each day you see your little workers 'work', you can issue some light commands, and at the end of the game you take some strategic decisions that affect your game later.

The goal is to get as far as possible, I tried to balance it so that you loose in the end. You loose when you do not have any more money.

Anyway, here is a link:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=22055
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: I made a LD48 game: Coalmine Manager (Web game)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:48:21 am »

I can't get past the Welcome screen.

Looks interesting though.

Edit: Nevermind, switching browsers solved it. Now it just runs slow.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:52:27 am by 10ebbor10 »

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 08:04:38 am »

Hey 10ebbor10, sorry to hear it runs slow.

I don't really know what to do about it. What are your specs?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 12:39:18 pm »

Hey that was a pretty enjoyable game :)

Ran fine in Firefox.  I liked the mining gameplay, and the coal dropping for $ was pretty satisfying at the end of each day.  The reports, though, felt a bit too much like the game trying to stop me??  I think if their frequency was tweaked down a bit then the business might seem more sustainable.  (Or maybe I was trying to protect the miners too much, heh).

Quick question - is there a win condition?  I've played only a few of these types of concept/quick games, but having no win condition seems common and I don't understand why!

edit - 8 days saying "Yes" to everything.  Also, no end screen to show my final score or stats - just "game over"!  A money/miner/happiness graph or something would be a cool way to get closure.  Or watching the miners starve from hunger.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:44:10 pm by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 02:30:08 pm »

Hello Hermes.

No there is not win condition in. I tried to design/balance the game so that you loose no matter what (Loosing is fun philosophy). I sadly did not have time to implement all the random events I had in mind, so the game can go on for quite and become quite boring after a while.

Anyway thanks for playing, I will note that miners dying from starvation would be a good feature ;). No but I have had similar opinions raised before, about closure.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 03:47:12 pm »

Runs good with Chrome on Windows. I like it, although it can be super frustrating when your miners don't go for exposed coal tiles and/or ignore pieces of coal that have been dropped. I agree with the reports being too frequent- IMHO, events should be both positive and negative and happen less frequently. As far as charts go, I would love to see that on an end-of-day report as well as at the end of the game.