Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [Goblins] - Most Goblin-y domestic animals?  (Read 12364 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: [Goblins] - Most Goblin-y domestic animals?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 04:45:39 pm »

Would it be possible to make only one caste of a creature into a "vermin"? So like, you're breeding plague-rats or whatever; and one of them gives birth to about a dozen vermin plus a couple more vermin-hunters. Would they hunt the smaller plague rats if that happened?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 04:44:27 am »

Ehm... never tried that. I assume they would. Why, what purpose would that have, besides creating dead vermin?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 07:56:10 am »

It's a very goblin-y thing to throw prisoners/fortress members into pits of ravenous beasts.
With that in mind, would it be possible to create some sort of beast that, upon reaching adulthood, turns uncontrollably hostile to everything that crosses its path? [CRAZED] or something similar? Their use in-game would be to drop foes into a pit with them for execution purposes, or perhaps seal the goblin fort and dump the creature over the side to deal with creatures you'd rather not have your goblins face.

If such a race was made, Bugbears would be a good choice for that. A large, bear-like humanoid (comparable to trolls/ogres in size, but with claws as a natural weapon) characterized by extreme aggression would be a nice addition. If they were made appropriately melee powerhouses (maybe give them [EQUIPS] so you can drop weapons and whatnot into their pit?)
I wonder if it's possible to add a chitin layer beneath a surface layer of fur? If so, a strong chitinous layer could serve as natural armor, making the beasts even more fearsome.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 07:37:13 am »

You can make a creature that goes berserk every so often for a few seconds, just copy the 'angrybeast' interaction from the Advanced Modding Tutorial Mod.  You can take care of such a creature more or less like a normal pet, but has to be kept out of the way or it will attack creatures around it at random.

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 01:29:16 pm »

Thanks for the tip, IndigoFenix!  That sounds quite useful for when I test this stuff out.

Anyone else have any different views than what people have already expressed?  I am, I must say, a bit surprised how much the ideas people have shared so far agree with each other.  I would have thought Tolkein and Labyrinth would have caused more confusion in peoples' imaginations.

fasquardon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 05:08:31 am »

Come on, smakes Orcs are pirate atztek samurais with pet wolves and condors, and use totempoles and scalps for magic. And it somehow fits. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 10:52:37 am »

Ehm... never tried that. I assume they would. Why, what purpose would that have, besides creating dead vermin?

Honestly, I forgot where I was going with that. Something about recent talk of somehow ensuring goblin forts have more vermin than normal, but I guess I let that possibility get away from me before I voiced it

Though if a vermin caste is possible within a non-vermin creature, then wouldn't it be thematic for all of the goblin cattle to occasionally birth vermin? Either as an extra runty kind of litter-runt or as an actual parasite that was dislodged during the stress of birthing, (Like giant tapeworms or ticks) it'd present a very good reason to have lots of vermin-hunters or animal traps on hand while breeding a decent numbered stock of one's favorite cattle varieties. I imagine the parasite vermins could also have various extractable venoms and diseases associated with them, making them more dangerous to leave alone as well as useful in their own right for goblin toxicology.

--

Hilarious last second idea: Goblins revere turkeys for their intellect (Turkeys are naturally fluent in the ancient and sacred tongue of "Gobbledegook".) and while most other animals in their "care" are underfed, tortured for fun, and otherwise mistreated; turkeys are pampered and spoiled as extremely valuable pets and majestic warbeasts. Two main varieties: The spoiled, overfed pet turkey that's so fat it has to be carried everywhere by it's owners, unowned pets can be "sheered" for fat and "milked" for oil without much harm to the animal. The muscular, speedy war-turkey naturally armored head to tail in chitinlike feathers and armed with a viciously sharpened beak to eviscerate enemies of the state.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:25:55 am by LMeire »

Cas8spree

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 07:17:46 pm »

Turkeys... sounds like a good idea. Why not to other animals? LMeire's ideas sounds like a good idea because it does sound goblin-y. Arming and ingraining animals for war as well as armoring them would introduce a difference in the goblins compared to other races in MW. Why not expand to other animals?  Armored wolf mounts(once mounts are properly implemented on the player side) among other potential creatures would make an interesting to do. Trained ogre or troll mercenaries taught and trained by goblins themselves would be also interesting as well.

Mass- manufacturing Should be also considered to be developed in the goblin plugin. Mass-manufacturing would create the bad quality stuff similar to what the goblins have in MW now. This would also explain why goblins have crud gear. A mass-bar forge could be used to quickly smelt batches of ore but makes rusty versions of the weapon quality metals (steel, iron, and bronze, I believe to be rust able) would also explain how they have poor quality metal. The 'mass-production factory' could be used to quickly arm armies of goblins on a short notice.
The most heroic word in all languages is revolution.
-Eugene Debs

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 02:06:48 am »

...Arming and ingraining animals for war as well as armoring them would introduce a difference in the goblins compared to other races in MW...

You're aware that war-training animals is a vanilla feature right?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 05:53:20 am »

I think massively relying on animals should be an elven thing. Just saying. ;)

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 08:30:16 am »

Hilarious last second idea: Goblins revere turkeys for their intellect (Turkeys are naturally fluent in the ancient and sacred tongue of "Gobbledegook".) and while most other animals in their "care" are underfed, tortured for fun, and otherwise mistreated; turkeys are pampered and spoiled as extremely valuable pets and majestic warbeasts. Two main varieties: The spoiled, overfed pet turkey that's so fat it has to be carried everywhere by it's owners, unowned pets can be "sheered" for fat and "milked" for oil without much harm to the animal. The muscular, speedy war-turkey naturally armored head to tail in chitinlike feathers and armed with a viciously sharpened beak to eviscerate enemies of the state.

So Beak Dogs are really mutant turkeys bred in secret underground alchemical labs by Gobbos?

fasquardon

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 12:16:41 pm »

I was more thinking of a pun on turkey "gobbling", but sure I guess that makes sense.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 10:21:04 am »

Bump, because this topic might have some good ideas for an upcoming goblin thingy.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 10:35:46 am »

What about severely inbred and stupid cavemen-things (morlocks? ratmen?) as pets? Kinda like the Yoshis from the Mario mod, except butcherable.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 01:00:35 pm »

Inbred cave-billies are already in the vanilla game, in the form of Troglodites. Though it does sound like a good idea, especially if multi-race forts are going to be possible before Goblins are done. I like the idea of Trogs being the default second-class citizen in Goblin forts, with other races filling in particular niches as the goblins want their talents and/or have enough surplus immigrants to risk the rebellions. A "successful" goblin fort would be one where goblins do none of the work and reap all of the benefits, their tyranny keeping itself suspended on fanatical slave-labor.

If it's possible to change the effect of a job based on the species of a creature, I'm thinking it could go like this:

Dwarves for better smithing, faster mining (higher chance of pissing off the dwarf while handing them a weapon.)

Elves for better farming, better ranged combat (higher chance of pissing off the elf while handing them a weapon.)

Humans for more profitable black market trades, better melee combat (Same as above, yada yada.)

Orcs for better leather/bone working, supreme combat skills (Yada yada.)

Gnomes as better mechanics, animal trainers (has a chance to make animal opposed to life instead of training them.)

Succubi as better "entertainment" (Social skills boost, so succubi wandering around improve the general mood of the fortress by making friends.), better smelting (Chance to start a massive fire and/or produce a blob of magma while working.)

Warlocks for better alchemy/chemistry, raising zombies from corpses at a workshop (has a chance to turn opposed to life and gain permanent raising ability like a normal necromancer with each use of workshop.)

And then Trogs for everything else, with a much slower skill-gain rate and minus the chance for rebellion due to their low-intelligence making them more susceptible to indoctrination.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:04:06 pm by LMeire »
Pages: 1 [2] 3