Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41

Author Topic: 4X/Grand Strategy Game Alliance of the Sacred Suns - Soon On Steam!  (Read 97930 times)

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile
    • Alliance of the Sacred Suns

Hello Bay12 forumites!

My name is Steve Hawkins, and I am a longtime lurker and player of DF. I am in awe of what Tarn and Zach have been able to do with this procedural world generator that holds so much wonder and mystery every time it creates a new world. In fact, to some extent, DF has shaped my work and desire to release for free Imperia, and now with Alliance of the Sacred Suns!

EDIT: Here are some new shots of the game that are *much* more in-date.

tl;dwtr
Check out my cool new project 4X game at www.allianceofthesacredsuns.com!

STEAM PAGE: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113400/Alliance_of_the_Sacred_Suns/

PREMISE:
Basically, in Alliance of the Sacred Suns, you are a new 18-year old emperor who is trying to jump-start the new Human Empire, which was relocated from Earth to a different quadrant of the galaxy almost 1000 years ago. The game plays at the surface like a standard 4X, but your power as an emperor is based in large part how much your people support you and how loyal your cabinet, viceroys, and governors are to your cause.

In addition, you were born with a strange ability: to read the minds and thoughts of others. It is not always perfect, but when it works, it is always accurate. As a leader, this ability is very valuable to determine who you can trust. Your goal, if not in action, is simple: to restore the Empire, to reclaim your standing as Emperor of the known quadrant, and to revive the previously proscribed Lazarus Project, the rumored path to immortal rule.

That is, if you're not killed by your people first... in AotSS, the 5th X is... eXist.

CONCEPTS:
In AotSS, you do not have unlimited power. Unlike virtually every other 4X game out there, you can not do anything at anytime. You have a small pool of Action Points (AP) that you spend to do basically anything, from issuing Projects to communicating with characters in the game to meeting with your cabinets to undertaking personal actions. As you age, your pool will gradually increase, reflecting your increased familiarity with how to 'make things work' as an Emperor.

Edicts are another major difference from other 4X games. In AotSS, you might simply change a planet's name by clicking the button, typing in the name, and that's that. In reality, changing an entire planet's name would have serious repercussions! So what you might have used to simply 'do' in other games now require Projects. Projects are large-scale entities that you pass to do things like reorganize sectors, change a system or sector capital, build or upgrade starbases, change what a planet produces, etc. Each planet has a certain amount of ADM to use to actually enact the Project - this will make large projects on small colonies impossible to do unless there is support from its system and sector capital, and perhaps even the Imperial capital! Admin represents all the planning, infrastructure, transport, ships, manpower, etc. to do planet-shaping things, and abstracts nicely the concept while eliminating micromanagement. Also, ADM is tied up until an Project actually goes into effect/is completed - thus, a Project that is dragging along and taking much longer than you thought will tie up your government unless you cancel it or speed it along - and both decisions have consequences!

While your word as Emperor is law, there is no way to force how long an Project actually takes to plan, execute, and complete. And this is where the other major system of AotSS comes in - the character system.

Characters populate AotSS (much like Crusader Kings games) - they have their own stats, age, wealth, traits, and ambitions, like you or me. They can be manipulated to do what you want - perhaps, and you will often find yourself bribing or sweet talking a system governor who is holding up an important economic stimulus in their system, or perhaps calming down a sector governor who you just took away an entire system from to give to a closer sector, or promoting a loyal viceroy all the way to a sector governor who will be absolutely loyal to you - the character system in AotSS is a powerful and immersive aspect of managing your empire. Character stats are hidden from you until you reach a certain intel level (increased from interacting with them, or placing informers to gather information), and even then the number is a wide range until your intel increases sufficiently. This is a problem when a character's loyalty is reported as 88 (out of 100) but it it actually a 41! The rule of thumb: Watch what characters actually do, not what they say. They also gain traits that affect their decisions and relationships with you as they age. They can die and retire, or be 'retired' by you - either by forcing them out of office or by more 'direct' measures. Don't get caught!

You yourself have a starring role as well through Power. Power is life in AotSS - the higher your Power, the more actions are available to you. Should your Power ever fall to 0 - you will die as an empty crown; a mere figurehead.

The game is about less micro and more about making the large-scale decisions that shape an Empire. You will not be building 10 Science Labs to accelerate research; instead you will try to install a viceroy that is aligned to the need for research, allowing that planet to grow organically - with a few nudges along the way. You will not be building transports and endlessly clicking materials to go from planet to planet - instead, you will set up trade hubs that serve as collection centers and build starbases of appropriate sizes to move materials and food along from your Imperial capital to sector capitals to system capitals to normal colonies.

From an 'explore' standpoint, no longer do you have to build and design scout ships, set a destination, and micromanage exploration and colonization fleet. Would a real emperor do that? Projects cover just about everything you would want to do as an Emperor on a exploration level, from surveying new planets and unexplored systems to creating outposts to creating colonies. You just create an Project on an unexplored planet or system and your people will do the rest (eventually).

As mentioned earlier, planets are not micromanaged. They are very complex entities whose actions are governed in part by their population, the stats of the planet itself, its House, and most importantly its Viceroy.

The population of your Empire will ultimately decide whether you live long and prosper (ha) or die at the business end of a pulser. Populations have their own unrest, age, type, job class, popular support, and needs. Each 5000 people are considered one 'pop' (similar to the Victoria system, but much more granular) and they can change jobs, age, die, have kids, migrate to other planets, or even leave your Empire altogether! They can also starve, grow angry, and revolt. In addition, if they are happy with the Empire (and are paid enough) they can be hired as informers on your planet to watch your viceroy and governors stationed on a planet to get to better know their stats... and potentially provide blackmail material!

If you are interested in playing AotSS, or want to know more, the game will be soon on Steam for Early Access. Here's the Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113400/Alliance_of_the_Sacred_Suns/

Again, thanks for your time in reading this and your interest!

-Steve

Edit: Moved to 'other games' since it seemed more appropriate there.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:58:08 pm by Texashawk »
Developer of Alliance of the Sacred Suns, nee Imperia. Not Steve Walmsley. But he's great.
Find out more about the game at http://www.allianceofthesacredsuns.com!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Sounds good, drop a link when you get a demo on sourceforge.  I for one would love to play it!

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

Hey EuchreJack!

Thanks for your interest and kind words! The link will be on the imperiagame.wordpress.com site when it goes live. The game is obviously a work in progress, and I just want to make sure that there's enough there for fun and that the game is as stable as I can make it before I release the alpha. Shouldn't be more than a few more days, honestly - it's already quite stable (for an alpha!)

-Steve

Sounds good, drop a link when you get a demo on sourceforge.  I for one would love to play it!
Developer of Alliance of the Sacred Suns, nee Imperia. Not Steve Walmsley. But he's great.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile

Wow, it sounds like it could be great!  I like the ADM points concept and the Crusader Kings feeling with all the characters.  Also having to issue edicts instead of waving a magic wand all the time would be an interesting twist.

Keep up the good work!
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to forums! Normally we bully people who's first post involves self-promotion, but it seems like you've taken the time and effort to really give us some in-depth info, and it definitely seems like a game that myself (and many others on Bay12) would really enjoy playing.

Good luck, and congrats on the progress so far!

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

Seamas,

Thanks! In a way, Imperia will be as far as administration like Emrich's vision of MOO3 before it got bastardized by Atari.

Steve

Wow, it sounds like it could be great!  I like the ADM points concept and the Crusader Kings feeling with all the characters.  Also having to issue edicts instead of waving a magic wand all the time would be an interesting twist.

Keep up the good work!

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

Thank you Knave!!

What you said is a big reason I didn't post here immediately - I would probably be one of those bullies, and I completely get it. However, I finally decided to do so because:
  • Although I'm new to the forums as a poster, I've lurked here for years, following the development of DF
  • I have a lot of respect for this community and thought Imperia was a game that people here would 'get' and possibly enjoy (Imperia is not an easy game by any stretch, and anyone who can play DF well (or even a little!) I believe has the ability to play Imperia and get the most out of it
  • It's free!

So there it is. That said, I hope people understand and now that my toe is in the water, I'll (finally) post about my (epic failures) playing DF!!! Protip: Magma is not a beginner's friend.  ::)

-Steve

Welcome to forums! Normally we bully people who's first post involves self-promotion, but it seems like you've taken the time and effort to really give us some in-depth info, and it definitely seems like a game that myself (and many others on Bay12) would really enjoy playing.

Good luck, and congrats on the progress so far!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Seems interesting. Posting to follow

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile

Your posts hit two pet peeves of mine. Not holding the quote at the top of the response, and signing your posts.

But the game looks pretty damn cool. Since you said you are releasing it on Sourceforge, does that mean it's gonna be open-source? If that's the case, then I'm looking forward to seeing the code. I'm working on a 4X style game myself as well, so it would be interesting to see just how horrible my code really is.

I'll make sure to check the game out when you release the alpha. Loving the concept.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

Your posts hit two pet peeves of mine. Not holding the quote at the top of the response, and signing your posts.

But the game looks pretty damn cool. Since you said you are releasing it on Sourceforge, does that mean it's gonna be open-source? If that's the case, then I'm looking forward to seeing the code. I'm working on a 4X style game myself as well, so it would be interesting to see just how horrible my code really is.

I'll make sure to check the game out when you release the alpha. Loving the concept.

Fixed! Thanks for the kind words! And I don't know yet about open-source. Part of me would love to see what other people can do with it. It is in VB using XNA, so I don't know how many people use VB actively for games, but for my purposes (lots of data, not 3D-graphics-heavy, very familiar with VB) it is working fine. I make heavy use of classes and managers that can call each other (UIManager calls all the UI screens as needed, GameManager calls the game processing routines/end of turn processing, CharacterManager handles all the character data/calculations, etc.) By doing it this way, it encapsulates each part of the game while still allowing easy data sharing and lets me dictate exactly what each manager can and can not do with the data (for example, the UIManager can not change the data in any way, it just receives it to throw up on the screen as needed, while GameManager does both equally)

Imperia doesn't necessarily need the memory optimization with graphics that C++ provides. If you personally just want to see it to learn from, I have no problem releasing it as stand-alone code for informational purposes. Let me know.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile

Imperia doesn't necessarily need the memory optimization with graphics that C++ provides. If you personally just want to see it to learn from, I have no problem releasing it as stand-alone code for informational purposes. Let me know.

That would be great. I'm actually mostly interested in the structure of the code, rather than the specifics, so the language barrier shouldn't matter.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you sold on the Imperia name? There seems to be a few of them + variations floating around on the internet.

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

Are you sold on the Imperia name? There seems to be a few of them + variations floating around on the internet.

Well, the original name was going to be 'Astra Imperia' but that belongs to a pen and paper 4X-like game being developed by someone else, so Imperia it became. Hopefully it will gain enough steam someday to make it up the search engines. We'll see.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Watching These Posts
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

I just found something marginally fitting for a game like this.

With the powers of google translate, universum imperum. Literal translation is universe empire, but it also means 'complete control'

According to google translate, at least. Could probably do with a checkup by someone who actually knows latin.

Hmmm... Interesting. Sounds... weighty. Which is good.  8)

-Steve
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41