Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Age of Empires IV  (Read 5135 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Empires IV
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2023, 03:05:20 am »

I only had time to do part of the Norman campaign and one 2v2v2v1v1 random map scenario. It's a solid Age of Empires game imo. I had the max number of AI active in the scenario and the game did begin to chug badly with all the units running and sailing around, but it wasn't until I had almost had enough resources for a Wonder victory. I don't know what caused it; it started all of a suddent and persisted the rest of the scenario. I built the English's age advancement fort buildings and put them right next to my docks (I was on a team islands map so transport ships were necessary to attack other players' land) and they kept landings from happening until the Wonder victory timer began ticking. I built a wall with a gap outside the Wonder and put the whole army there and put all the villagers in defensive buildings around it. I didn't invade anyone, just kept the opposing AI teams from holdung the two capture points for a win. I ganked some gold mines from a friendly AI neighbor before they ran out and was able to purchse a large amount of the 8000 stone for the Wonder victory through the market, as stone deposits had run out. That was with Intermediate ai opponents; I had read on the Steam discussion forums that was recommended as the hardest setting is insane. I probably should have tried that setting, the landings on the coast were a bit on the small size to be a successful invasion as well as the forces controlling the capture points being a bit too small on that setting if I can rescure it with one transport ship of troops.

One thing I especially appreciate is the extra bits of history that the campaign unlocks. There are scenes snipped from what appears to be a documentary for example. As to why that is a cool thing, the only reason I know anything about Hittites was Age of Empires the original.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 03:08:50 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]