Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Conan Exiles! What is best in life?  (Read 32144 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Conan Exiles! What is best in life?
« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2023, 07:03:55 pm »

I'm a little hesitant to resurrect a nearly two year dead thread, but I've been seriously considering getting this after rewatching the Neebs Gaming playthrough. However, the reviews are... less than stellar.
So what are people's opinions on this game?

Survival and base-building are pretty typical of the genre. Bases allow triangle pieces, which allows for a bit more variety in structure shapes, and definitely something that I wish was in all these types of games.

You can have your own harem of topless thralls, which is great if you're into that. Probably the most significant feature setting CE apart from other games in the genre.

Exploration offers a decent variety of landscapes and features. Nothing terribly original, but it gets the job done.

When it comes to combat, there are only a very limited number of monsters and bosses, with only the most basic tactical options. A bit underwhelming, if not quite disappointing.

My biggest complaint is the install size, at around 90GB. I feel like the assets for a game like this should only warrant a fraction of that much space. Must be some ultra-HD textures in there or something...

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2023, 07:07:41 pm »

Poor compression I'd wager.

Thanks, that's tempered my expectations somewhat.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2023, 10:54:03 pm »

One of my old video game pals I met in City of Heroes but haven't spoken to in years (lost contact info) played this for a while and said good things many years ago. I was mildly curious if it had gone F2P model or if it was sub or up front when I saw this thread.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2023, 11:11:15 pm »

They went for the modern game economy - cost up front, DLC, and seasonal content (I think just cosmetics?) that you pay for the privilege of grinding for.

On the plus side, they did add the whole sorcery update that allows for some new character builds while bringing the base-building mechanics up to modern standards (instead of crafting architecture parts and then plopping them down, plop down directly from raw materials).

Generally I think Folly's description is relatively accurate, though I would note it's one of the few in the genre that has relatively decent options for pet/mook followers (especially with mods). And the modding scene is more robust than one might guess. The mediocrity of the combat is the main negative, though I can't really think of a game in this genre with good combat.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2023, 01:37:16 am »

The DLC/Seasonal content isn't quite just cosmetics; it's mostly moreso sidegrades.

The biggest downside from my POV is that PvP can't really be great b/c of how limited and cheesable the combat engine (and overall design) is. And that'd be fine since I've never played PvP on this and would never want to, but Funcom wants this to be a gritty PvP game, so huge amounts of the PvE gameplay would get jerked around by their PvP whims. Their big expansion that added a new map was a poorly-thought-out and poorly-implemented grindfest with RNG in place of content, and from what I heard didn't even do what it was supposed to do for PvP b/c they fundementally misunderstood the risk vs. reward that they'd offered. That said, I'm led to understand it got better when they moved to the Seasons/Battlepass model they now have, but I walked away about 6mo before that, and couldn't be lured back by it. It's a frustrating game that's poorly designed on a SE level, but it's just good enough to make you want it to be good even though it isn't. It can suck you in, but the endgame lacks content even with their current more frequent release model - endgame PvE is just building bases big enough to lag the server.

I say all this as someone who started playing in early access and logged an appalling 2000h+ in the game. It's definitely possible to really enjoy it, but there's a lot to (rightly) dislike as well.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]