Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41

Author Topic: 4X/Grand Strategy Game Alliance of the Sacred Suns - Soon On Steam!  (Read 97970 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I just found something marginally fitting for a game like this.

With the powers of google translate, universum imperum. Literal translation is universe empire, but it also means 'complete control'

According to google translate, at least. Could probably do with a checkup by someone who actually knows latin.
I know Latin.  Kind of.  I will check the translation after I finish up my... latin test.  Which I should probably get back too.  I think we've covered adjectives.   
In any case, this looks like an awesome game.  Can't wait to play a demo.  The lack of micromanagement does look a bit worrying, but only if it is messed up badly, which it doesn't look like it is.  Would be nice to play a 4X/5X game that has a focus on interactions versus just optimizing a colony.  I wish you good luck in your endeavors. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So...  is the player character immortal?  Will their be heirs?  A succession crisis?

Will you keep the bloodline strong?  Or will it be thinned out?  Or something inbetween?  (Hah)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ptw

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

PTW

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've actually been waiting for a game like this for some time. ever since i read Foundation by Issac Asimov (i am guesing we wont have phycohistory).
and what i've seen so far looks just awesome good luck.
out of interest how stable will the starting empire be or will there be some way off deciding this?
will there be aliens or other foreign powers?
what kind of pops are we looking at ?
how will combat work(i hope its not a major focus )?

in general i am intrigued

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Posting to watch.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile

From the 5X marketing gimmick to the ADM points, this seems like MoO3 in its original development conception. Obviously, the CK2 parts are new.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile
    • Alliance of the Sacred Suns

From the 5X marketing gimmick to the ADM points, this seems like MoO3 in its original development conception. Obviously, the CK2 parts are new.

Yes, there's definitely some inspiration with Emrich's vision. Add some Victoria-style population units who have free will and some heavy character interaction to the mix. I don't know that the 5X is a gimmick, as the game ends with your death, which can come many ways (eventually) so 'eXist' is a valid X in Imperia.
Developer of Alliance of the Sacred Suns, nee Imperia. Not Steve Walmsley. But he's great.
Find out more about the game at http://www.allianceofthesacredsuns.com!

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

So...  is the player character immortal?  Will their be heirs?  A succession crisis?

Will you keep the bloodline strong?  Or will it be thinned out?  Or something inbetween?  (Hah)

No, alas, the game ends with your death. One of the victory options is to research the Lazarus Project, which will let you rule essentially forever as an AI construct. but your people have to reeeeaaaaaalllllly like you to let that happen. As do your governors. So it's tough.
Developer of Alliance of the Sacred Suns, nee Imperia. Not Steve Walmsley. But he's great.

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

I've actually been waiting for a game like this for some time. ever since i read Foundation by Issac Asimov (i am guesing we wont have phycohistory).
and what i've seen so far looks just awesome good luck.
out of interest how stable will the starting empire be or will there be some way off deciding this?
will there be aliens or other foreign powers?
what kind of pops are we looking at ?
how will combat work(i hope its not a major focus )?

in general i am intrigued

I will answer this in more detail tomorrow, but for now..

1) The starting empire will be fairly stable, but overall declining. If you just keep hitting 'next turn' eventually your people will revolt as they slowly starve and let infrastructure decay. Oh, and you'll go broke, which is bad.

2) Yes, and yes. But not for a while.

3) Not sure what you mean.

4) I wrote a post on another forum going into this in some detail. I'll post it tomorrow when I can clean it up a bit.

Thanks for your interest!

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

FYI, to all the 'thread watchers' I appreciate your interest! You may want to check or subscribe to the blog however, as that is where most of the updates/screenshots/etc will be. I'll try to post when there's a major update, however.  8)

Hopefully I can release the first alpha next week. It's getting very close.  :D

-Steve

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This sounds a lot like the sort of game i've been hanging out for for a while.
I do have a question, as this game is going to focused on you as a character managing an empire, not just managing an empire, is there going to be scope for you yourself moving around, or are you always just going to be static, locked away in the imperial palace.
Magma is overrated.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*drool at the OP* *more drooling after seeing the blog*

You should implement some sort of succession - the game ending with your death doesn't appeal to me, if we're going CKII-style. Civil wars and succession crises in space - PLEASE!

And can't wait for the alpha.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Damn you for posting this without providing a demo!

I really like the concept, although I'm not 100 sold on the ADM points. I didn't like the way it was implemented in EUIV, and I'm afraid it'll feel a bit of an artificial limit. Although it'll depend a lot on the implementation, I like the idea of sectors, governors etc etc having their own ADM points needed to implement your edicts.

Another question, how fast will the game be? Let's say you're quite successful and live to 80, how long in terms of hours of play would that be?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've read the OP and it seems like quite a nice game going on! Mosts of the concepts seem very nice, however maybe not always because of the reason you conceived  them - for example, I love edicts not because of immersion stuff (like not being able to magically control everything in the empire), but because what kills 4X games for me is amount of micromanagement after a while. It always seems so counterintuitive that an emperor ruling 25 systems have to manually load the population on transport ships, set the waypoints to avoid enemy-controlled system, and unload the population in another system. My people should do that for me! "Let the slaves be relocated to HellHole V, I say!" and somebody takes care of loading and unloading, and the pilot of transport ship doesn't fly head-on into system full of mines and enemy ships and stuff.
Than again, I would love to be able to designate some 'pet projects' of the Emperor, to be hand-crafted in minute detail. Those could be like ongoing edicts, tying up some ADM points, but allowing you to use FTL communication devices to, for example, govern a planet of your choosing much more in-depth. Wouldn't it be great for tyrannical emperor to take personal interest in his most terrible, diabolical prison planet? :)
That, and I'm still waiting for a 4X game that let you hand-pick a crew for your super-heavy battleship (let it be space battleship or old-school float-on-water battleship). I can imagine tying up an ADM point to personally keep an eye on every crew member of Tyrannical Destructor, proud of the Demonic Navy of Human Empire. It would be just so great. :D
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41