Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41

Author Topic: 4X/Grand Strategy Game Alliance of the Sacred Suns - Soon On Steam!  (Read 98064 times)

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting so I kmow when the alpha is ready

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So...  is the player character immortal?  Will their be heirs?  A succession crisis?

Will you keep the bloodline strong?  Or will it be thinned out?  Or something inbetween?  (Hah)

No, alas, the game ends with your death. One of the victory options is to research the Lazarus Project, which will let you rule essentially forever as an AI construct. but your people have to reeeeaaaaaalllllly like you to let that happen. As do your governors. So it's tough.
Then... is there going to be a longer play option?  Or is the game always gonna end in X years?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

This is a very interesting and ambitious project. What I see so far looks very promising.

What programming environment are you using?

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great concept. I am definitely going to play the alpha when it comes out. PTW.

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile
    • Alliance of the Sacred Suns

So...  is the player character immortal?  Will their be heirs?  A succession crisis?

Will you keep the bloodline strong?  Or will it be thinned out?  Or something inbetween?  (Hah)

No, alas, the game ends with your death. One of the victory options is to research the Lazarus Project, which will let you rule essentially forever as an AI construct. but your people have to reeeeaaaaaalllllly like you to let that happen. As do your governors. So it's tough.
Then... is there going to be a longer play option?  Or is the game always gonna end in X years?

No... there isn't a specific end date. After a certain age, there is a gradually increasing % chance of your dying due to natural causes, though you will be able to research LXT's (Life Extension Technologies) to prolong somewhat. And of course, you can be killed by going into battle, a palace coup, assassination, or just plain bad luck (though none of that 'a meteor has struck the palace! You die' crap; events will only be tied to somewhat risky actions). Does that answer your question?
Developer of Alliance of the Sacred Suns, nee Imperia. Not Steve Walmsley. But he's great.
Find out more about the game at http://www.allianceofthesacredsuns.com!

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

This is a very interesting and ambitious project. What I see so far looks very promising.

What programming environment are you using?

Visual Basic 2012 using XNA. Really, other than some memory management things, it's almost functionally identical to C++ or C# for overhead, and with all the data flying around this game, it is much easier to encapsulate (for me, anyway) using VB.
Developer of Alliance of the Sacred Suns, nee Imperia. Not Steve Walmsley. But he's great.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Why can't you go on playing as your kid, CK2 style?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

Who says the Empire is a monarchy?

Consider having the option for very popular emperor to be cloned/resurrected if they happen to tragically die at the hight of their rule.

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

Damn you for posting this without providing a demo!

I really like the concept, although I'm not 100 sold on the ADM points. I didn't like the way it was implemented in EUIV, and I'm afraid it'll feel a bit of an artificial limit. Although it'll depend a lot on the implementation, I like the idea of sectors, governors etc etc having their own ADM points needed to implement your edicts.

Another question, how fast will the game be? Let's say you're quite successful and live to 80, how long in terms of hours of play would that be?

Well, Imperia does ADM a lot different than in EUIV. There will be a natural progression as you age and get more adept at leadership. I think you'll really like the macromanagement that the system provides - for example, instead of designing a colony ship, building the ship, staffing the ship, sending it to a planet (possibly with a protection fleet), and having it colonize a planet, from then you have to babysit as you build the 'standard' opening stuff, you can just create an Edict on a planet you want to colonize, assign the ADM, and.... wait for it to be done!

As for how fast, turns can go pretty quickly once you've figured out what you have to do. I'd say the first few turns could take a while, since you have to assess your empire, your trade network, what planets are in more dire straits than others, and learn your people, but after that they go quick. I'll say I've only played 50 turns (5 years) as the longest game and that took me about 2 hours, so extrapolate from there. Also, there will be many more strategic options as I add to the game.

-Steve

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile

Looks cool!

I think there should be a option to play as maybe someone else in the empire, just to do that, and see if you can keep up with the demands of the emperor, or assassinate him and take over!

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

Because the entire concept of the game (the 5th "X") as it were, is around you, the psychic special 18-year old teen emperor who will lead the Empire out of its declining age.

Consider having the option for very popular emperor to be cloned/resurrected if they happen to tragically die at the hight of their rule.

This however, might be an option. As a sort of 'pre-Lazarus' tech. I like! But you would lose some of your skills and attributes, of course.

-Steve
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:51:53 am by Texashawk »

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

Looks cool!

I think there should be a option to play as maybe someone else in the empire, just to do that, and see if you can keep up with the demands of the emperor, or assassinate him and take over!

This was suggested by someone else as sort of the 'Imperium Galactica' option. I really like it in concept as a scenario play. And the programming wouldn't be that difficult. I am seriously considering it. As suggested, you would start out as a viceroy, and as you fufull the Emperor's needs and wishes, grow your planet, and contribute to the Empire, you would at some point be promoted to a system governorship, then a sector governorship, and in theory the Emperorship (is that a word?) but I'm not sure how that would happen. Love the idea, though.

Steve

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Posting to watch, while drooling in anticipation.
This is a blank sig.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This however, might be an option. As a sort of 'pre-Lazarus' tech. I like! But you would lose some of your skills and attributes, of course.

-Steve

This is a brilliant idea!

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like my kinda game! Keeping an eye on this!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41