Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41

Author Topic: 4X/Grand Strategy Game Alliance of the Sacred Suns - Soon On Steam!  (Read 98043 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5.19 UPDATE! AotSS .7.0.3 Major Update with Save/Load!
« Reply #570 on: April 29, 2019, 02:39:08 pm »

Texashawk, I don't suppose you looked into building for Linux?
I kind of lost touch with this after shifting over.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 13, 2019, 06:41:59 pm »

Developer has posted a fix for the save/load issue!

The load issue is actually something I’m working on, but there is a workaround: simply install the game to a user-defined location, any location other than the default, and it will work fine.

Yay!

It seems that it is best to save every turn, because loading a save where the game has gone buggy seems to be buggy.  Hopefully, loading from before the game went buggy will work fine.  I'm still testing it out, but I have seen the load actually working, so yay!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 15, 2019, 09:34:41 pm »

Hey, I bought this game a few days ago.  The forums link it gave me in the purchasing email doesn't work, and the forums link on the website goes to the imperia5x forums... which won't let me post after I registered.  What's up with that?

Anyway...

I've watched the youtube video tutorials, and been reading the guides on the website, but still having trouble wrapping my head around what exactly to do.  I want to keep at it though, because the premise of this game is basically my dream game. Managing people is so much more interesting than micromanaging!

That said, the thing that's REALLY keeping me from grinding it out is the bugginess of the UI.  Going to the system view works about... half the time.  When it doesn't work, the planets are visible but clicking does nothing and the data windows simply don't load in.  When it does work, it often has elements outside the visible screen.  But then again, sometimes loading up a new screen will simply crash the game.

Is this just my PC, or is everyone else also dealing with these kinds of issues?

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 15, 2019, 11:10:54 pm »

I've looked at this, and I'm a bit curious. Does it have combat yet though? Nothing I seem to read seems to suggest it. The economic simulation looks wonderfully in depth, but it's a bit hard to be an evil galactic tyrant without invading snow planets and whatnot when some pesky rebels build their base there etc.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 16, 2019, 01:30:17 am »

I've looked at this, and I'm a bit curious. Does it have combat yet though? Nothing I seem to read seems to suggest it. The economic simulation looks wonderfully in depth, but it's a bit hard to be an evil galactic tyrant without invading snow planets and whatnot when some pesky rebels build their base there etc.

There is no combat yet, although it is possible to bombard a planet from orbit.  Take from what what you will.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 16, 2019, 02:49:52 pm »

Texashawk, I don't suppose you looked into building for Linux?
I kind of lost touch with this after shifting over.

If you look at going through steam, Proton seems to work reasonably well for the Unity games that I've tried, so there is that option too (though a native client is preferred)

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile
    • Alliance of the Sacred Suns
« Reply #576 on: July 05, 2019, 09:34:48 am »

Hey, I bought this game a few days ago.  The forums link it gave me in the purchasing email doesn't work, and the forums link on the website goes to the imperia5x forums... which won't let me post after I registered.  What's up with that?

Anyway...

I've watched the youtube video tutorials, and been reading the guides on the website, but still having trouble wrapping my head around what exactly to do.  I want to keep at it though, because the premise of this game is basically my dream game. Managing people is so much more interesting than micromanaging!

That said, the thing that's REALLY keeping me from grinding it out is the bugginess of the UI.  Going to the system view works about... half the time.  When it doesn't work, the planets are visible but clicking does nothing and the data windows simply don't load in.  When it does work, it often has elements outside the visible screen.  But then again, sometimes loading up a new screen will simply crash the game.

Is this just my PC, or is everyone else also dealing with these kinds of issues?

Hey, Fieari! Sorry I don't get to these forums too often, but DM me your email and I'll look at your issue. We recently sent out a HUGE update that dealt with a lot of bugs and some UI wonkiness; I think it would help. The game has an auto-patcher. What version are you currently playing? Fortunately, very few people are reporting issues like that but since the game's a pre-alpha I want to catch issues where I can!

Also, I don't want to sound simplistic but I'd love to know what concepts you are struggling with. Documentation is going to be a huge priority as we get the game closer to a 1.0 and I'd like to know where to focus efforts on that when I can.

-Steve
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:46:19 am by Texashawk »
Developer of Alliance of the Sacred Suns, nee Imperia. Not Steve Walmsley. But he's great.
Find out more about the game at http://www.allianceofthesacredsuns.com!

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 05, 2019, 09:37:41 am »

There will be a detailed military system in the .8 builds. It will not be micro through; you will essentially be responsible for creating admirals and generals, making sure the ships and corps are built and trained up, and designating 'battle plans' that you will set your target (i.e. a planet or a system) and the requested level of force you want to allocate to that plan, and some factors like minimizing civilian casualties, and your generals/admirals will do the rest! You as emperor would be responsible that the military is funded, that it's building the right stuff, that you have the right people in place, and setting the high-level strategic objectives.

-Steve
Developer of Alliance of the Sacred Suns, nee Imperia. Not Steve Walmsley. But he's great.

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

2 big pieces of news (sorry I don't post here more often; I'll try to be better!)

1: The huge update for .7.4 has been released. It's over 6 pages of changes and additions, so I'll just post the link here. The short version is that the UI has been cleaned up, the Intel and Influence systems have been added, and a bunch of bugs have been fixed.

https://allianceofthesacredsuns.com/2019/06/20/7-4-0-changelog-released/

2: AotSS is now on Steam! Well, it has a coming soon page, anyway. We are about to close sales for the pre-alpha and enter a formal EA process that will be available most likely very early 2020. If you still want to get in on the ground floor at the $9.99 price point, you should do that sooner than later from the web site www.allianceofthesacredsuns.com. Anyone who purchased during this time will still get a Steam key.

Here's the Steam page link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113400/Alliance_of_the_Sacred_Suns/

Thanks for your interest! If you think you might like this game once it's finished development, please wishlist it!

-Steve

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 08, 2019, 11:04:28 pm »

There will be a detailed military system in the .8 builds. It will not be micro through; you will essentially be responsible for creating admirals and generals, making sure the ships and corps are built and trained up, and designating 'battle plans' that you will set your target (i.e. a planet or a system) and the requested level of force you want to allocate to that plan, and some factors like minimizing civilian casualties, and your generals/admirals will do the rest! You as emperor would be responsible that the military is funded, that it's building the right stuff, that you have the right people in place, and setting the high-level strategic objectives.

-Steve

I find that very interesting.  It is sort of like President Roosevelt and World War 2, where United States successes were mainly about getting more material out on the battlefields than the enemy and attacking at the right places.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will you be able to send people you want dead to die on military campaigns? 
Will they be able to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, despite the lack of the emprah's support?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Will I need to worry about legions who are loyal to their general, rather than to the Emperor? Generals who may themselves not be entirely loyal? Generals who may then use those legions against me?

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

Will you be able to send people you want dead to die on military campaigns? 
Will they be able to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, despite the lack of the emprah's support?

Well, generals and admirals can die during a military campaign, so technically, yes. And general skills will be very important when determining victory. Numbers will still matter, but you'll have some specialty ships that you can add to a campaign as assets, and ships themselves have tech and skill levels, so that matters too!

-Steve

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile

Will I need to worry about legions who are loyal to their general, rather than to the Emperor? Generals who may themselves not be entirely loyal? Generals who may then use those legions against me?

Absolutely! In fact, you will be able to stick... um, send an Inquisitor squad to ensure the adminral/general's safety during war if you are truly concerned about their welfare.  8)

-Steve

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Absolutely! In fact, you will be able to stick... um, send an Inquisitor squad to ensure the adminral/general's safety during war if you are truly concerned about their welfare.  8)

-Steve

I assume this also means I can sent an Inquisitor squad to ensure the Empire's safety by giving me a greater assassination chance while the admiral/general is engaged in battle and away from the prying eyes of the people.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41