Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia Sprint: College of Cardinals (D2)  (Read 38865 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Beginner's Mafia Sprint: College of Cardinals (D2)
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:35:57 pm »

Beginner's Mafia: Sprint
College of Cardinals

This morning you found Pope Mafius I dead in his chambers. His death was anything but natural, as his body was hacked into pieces and demonic symbols were written in blood on the walls. All evidence points towards a conspiracy by two demon possessed cardinals. The 7 of you came up with a solution. You have locked yourselves inside a room each day, and after a day of prayer and discussion, you let the Holy Spirit pick a cardinal to be exorcised through casting votes.

Tired of the plodding pace of normal games? Just not interested in spending more than a month reading and arguing? Never manage to finish a game? Then the Sprint edition of Beginner's Mafia is right for you! Specifically designed to be great for newcomers and dabblers in Mafia, the game eschews many of the traditional rules of BMs to create a setup that is more fast-paced, fun and interesting. This game will never last more than a week! That means no waiting around, boredom or long-term commitment!

This setup puts its greatest emphasis on getting you to enjoy playing Mafia and to spark your interest in it. It still has an instructional aspect, however, and as such an IC (or two) will be present in the game to play the game with you. Their primary purpose is to teach you to play Mafia, and will do everything to further that goal even after death - but keep in mind that the playing IC(s) will still play for keeps.

Mafia Gameplay

The game of mafia has a simple concept. A large group of players known as the town plays against a smaller group of players known as the mafia. In this setup, there are seven players, with five town and two mafia.

Before the game begins, each players is given a role and an alignment by the moderator. There are two alignments in this setup: Town and Mafia. The town outnumber the mafia, but each individual member of the town does not know the alignment of any of the other members. The mafia know the alignment of everyone on their team and they can discuss the game privately in a special mafia chat. The mafia has access to a nightkill that they may use in the Night phase, while the town occasionally has roles with abilities that are used during the night.

Once everyone has a role, the game begins in the Day phase. During the Day phase, players may discuss the game and each player has a vote that they cast publicly to lynch a player. At the end of the day after some predetermined amount of time, the player with the most votes is lynched. Lynching does two things: it reveals a player's role and alignment, and it removes a player from the game. Once lynched, a player is no longer allowed to post in the thread.

Sprint Gameplay

Sprint specifically plays much like normal mafia, but with two notable exceptions. The game is effectively Nightless: Each Day, players may collectively decide to lynch a player, but instead of advancing to a silent Night the game begins with the next Day immediately. Thus, the playerbase must talk constantly, and there is no set time to send in actions - anyone with a power role and thus a night action must send in the action during the Day. It will then occur after the lynch, before the next Day starts (like a normal game). Because of this, the game will start with a single 24 hour Night to let everyone read their PMs and the Mafia to coordinate.

Each game is run with six beginner players and one IC, and the game will always consist of the following roles:
  • 2 Demons (Mafia Goons) - May decide each day to covertly kill someone after the lynch, before the next Day. Must survive.
  • 3 Townies - No powers, must lynch Mafia.
  • 1 Ward Placer (Doctor) - Can choose someone each day to protect from the Mafia kill. Must lynch Mafia.
  • 1 Experienced Exorcist (Macho Cop) - Can choose someone each day to discover the alignment of. Cannot be protected by the Doctor. Must lynch Mafia.

Rules
  • Voting - Votes are cast in red and should include the name of the targeted player. Other colors may be ignored.
    • Persus
    • Vote Persus13
    • You pesky demon, Persus! Burn in hell where you belong
    • Vote Perseus13
    Are all acceptable ways to cast a vote if the target is clear enough.
    • If you want to simply remove your vote, you may put unvote in red text. You must explicitly state this.  It is possible to put the name of the player you were voting afterwards, but it is not recommended as it can lead to confusion.
  • Death - When you are dead, you are prohibited from posting in the thread. You may make a single 'bah' post after you die, however, it must not contain any game-related information.
  • Winning - Mafia win when all town players are dead. Town win when all mafia players are dead. As such, the game will auto-end if the mafia population ever equals or exceeds the town population.
  • PMs - Never PM another player. You may freely PM the moderator to ask game-related questions.
    • Never quote anything the mod says to you.
  • Edits - Never edit your posts for any reason. You will be modkilled if you do.
  • Replacements/Activity - If you find yourself unable to play, you should request a replacement. We may try to talk you out of it if it's for any other reason besides you not having enough time to play. Since the game only lasts a week, though, please try to stick to it. It's only a week.
    • Prods may be requested for a player. If they have not posted in the thread within 24 hours, excluding weekends, they will be prodded.
    • I will modkill you if you don't post for an entire Day (48 hours).
    • Please be active. The greatest killer of beginner games is poor activity.
  • Day Length - Days will last 48 hours, including weekends.
  • Extensions/Shortens - There is only one available Extension for the entire game; once you use it, it's gone. It is for 24 hours and may be used at any time if 33% of players (min 2) agree. Days can be shortened to end immediately with 51% of votes (min 3).
    • Votes for extension/shorten are done in boldface. Extend, Extension, Extend it up yo, Shorten it out y'all are acceptable ways to vote for an extension/shorten
    • Extensions/shortens can be opposed by declaring opposition (Oppose Shorten/Extend, I oppose this notion!, My Oppose goes to this), and they count against the total number of votes for an extension/shorten. Extensions count as opposition to shortens and vice versa.
  • External Participation - While the game is ongoing, if you are not a player, an IC, or a mod, refrain from posting in the thread.
    • Play to win! There is no hopeless situation, so don't ever give up. And remember, be bold! You learn nothing and you gain nothing by holding back.
  • Miscellaneous -  Use of cryptographic hashing is not permitted.  If you want to have hidden/obfuscated messages in your posts for later use, come up with them using your own wetware.

Player Roster
1. Elephant Parade
2. Tawarochir
3. GreatWyrmGold
4. Darkpaladin109 Town Doctor
5. Scriptin
6. tn5421
7. TheDarkStar [IC] Town

Replacements:
The Soldier
Griffinpup

(Thanks goes to LNCP for writing the set up and to NQT because I stole most of this post from him)

Hopefully I haven't offended anyone with the flavor.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:14:29 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia Sprint Version
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 08:40:33 pm »

I'm goINg to play this!

I'm not offended, but I'm not Catholic either, so I guess that doesn't really mean much.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:18:04 pm »

In.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 09:28:48 pm »

I AM IN

Also, I wish to be referred to as "Cardinal Bluejay", to mess with people.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:35:06 pm »

I guess a fourth BM never hurt anyone.

IN
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 10:54:15 pm »

Is there a scum IC?

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 04:12:22 am »

IN

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 10:23:53 am »

I'd like to give this a shot. In

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 01:49:36 pm »

In. Crap, too late. Well, I tried...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 01:50:47 pm »

In. Why not. Never played Mafia before... should be interesting.

Nevermind...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:55:41 pm by Fniff »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 02:10:10 pm »

I'm goINg to play this!

I'm not offended, but I'm not Catholic either, so I guess that doesn't really mean much.

IN

I'm not sure you two are considered beginners anymore.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 02:17:43 pm »

I'm goINg to play this!

IN

That reminds me: there should really be regular non-BM sprint games.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 03:32:32 pm »

I'm goINg to play this!

IN

I'm a beginner at Sprints, since I've never played one before.

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 03:32:51 pm »

I'll replace into this, I think. Don't want to have two full-fledged games at once, even if one is near the end.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 04:17:10 pm »

I'm goINg to play this!

IN

I'm a beginner at Sprints, since I've never played one before.
I've played one Sprint and one normal game, and I didn't find see too much of a difference.

I died N1 in the sprint, though, so I may not be qualified to hold an opinion.

Also, I think Sprint is intended for beginners, not people who are beginning Sprint.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18