Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: The Succession Drawing Game: Round 3 (Theme: Boat)  (Read 15790 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
The Succession Drawing Game: Round 3 (Theme: Boat)
« on: May 04, 2014, 03:19:18 pm »

As someone who has been doing a fair lot of drawing as of late (if the fact that I spend a fair lot time in the Creative Projects subforum is any indication), I recently got the idea for what could be either amazing or downright awful.

Bay12 has some pretty good artists out there. And succession games are also pretty common around here (well, around the higher boards...).
Why don't we combine those two things together in the neverdead FG&RP section into a one-of-a-kind game where the community's best and worst artists combine their art powers into one epic abomination. Or multiple epic abominations even. Good or bad, Gimp or Photoshop, color or grayscale...

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Succession Drawing Game.

What is the concept behind this strange game, you may ask?
Let's get a few people together (not sure how many yet, I'll see what the interest is, I guess - although since this doesn't require a lot of work from me it could probably be a fair few), give them a theme, 3 days to add their own things to the picture and pass them on to the next person in the thread. Rinse and repeat until we hit the end of the list (new people will only be added to the list after the current picture is done) and see what work of art we end up with. And then do it over again, with the next person on the list setting the theme.

Got it? No? Let me repeat:
  • Post here if you want to participate.
  • Once a few (I'd say we start with 5) people post, the first person on the list (which will be me at the beginning) posts the theme of the picture and starts it by drawing something for others to work off of (it could be anything as long as it fits the theme and is digital, although you can scan a RL drawing and post the scan here instead).
  • You post the picture in the thread and the next person on the list downloads it and edit the picture in any way they seem fit.
  • Continue to do steps 2-3 until the end of the list is reached, at which point the picture will be considered complete.
  • The list is updated with new people who wanted to participate (and those who wanted to stay for another round) and the next person on the list chooses a new theme.

Some extra rules.

• You have 3 days to post your drawing. If you don't do it in that timeframe (or post here saying that you'll be leaving), the next person on the list gets your drawing instead. If you were to choose the theme and start the initial picture, the next person gets to do that.
  • Save your picture as a .png file. (if you were using layers (which most people inevitably will), you'll have to flatten it, because I can't think of any format recognized by most drawing programs out there that also supports layers. If there is though, let me know.)
  • There's no real limit about how much you have to edit, but spraying a solid color all over it is NOT a good idea (in which case your picture will be skipped and the next person will use the previous version instead - so don't grief, folks!). Also don't draw anything obscene, offensive or rude.
  • A theme can be pretty much anything - Steampunk, Dwarf Fortress, Dr. House or maybe Chicken and Gravy? YOU DECIDE! As long as it's not inappropriate or otherwise controversial, anything goes!
  • You can use pretty much any drawing software you feel like out there, but please...Don't use MS Paint. There are plenty free drawing programs that are orders of magnitude better than that, such as Gimp, Paint.NET or Krita. (jokes about MS Pait aside)
  • When you are the GM, whatever size your original picture was will be the size that all future pictures have to be (think of it as the embark area size in a normal Dwarf Fortress game), so don't change those!

Spoiler: Current player list (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gallery: Round 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Round 1 end result (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gallery: Round 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Round 2 end result (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Round 3 gallery (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:19:11 pm by DarkDXZ »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Succession Drawing Game: Round 1
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 03:26:51 pm »

Posting to watch.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 04:05:09 pm »

I see this getting dwarfy quite easily...

Count me in!

As food for thought - should we ask the people to draw in their usual style? This could make it hillarious on a grand scale...  Eh, I guess we will see soon enough.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 04:08:36 pm »

I see this getting dwarfy quite easily...

Count me in!

As food for thought - should we ask the people to draw in their usual style? This could make it hillarious on a grand scale...  Eh, I guess we will see soon enough.

I'm not going to enforce anything upon the actual pictures beyond "don't outright grief them", plus nothing rude or obscene, just like with the theme. You can imitate other people's style to make it look more consistent or draw in your own style for all the damns I give. Although if everyone draws in their own usual style I can see it being an epic mosaic of Bay12's artistic talent spectrum.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:26:45 pm by DarkDXZ »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 04:38:10 pm »

Quick! The popcorn!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 04:45:29 pm »

Quick! The popcorn!

Would you like some fries with that?
I'm looking forward to the epicness of what we'll get.

I will also be making timelapse gifs of those arts at the end of every round! :)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 06:11:49 pm »

I'd like to join as well. This looks really awesome.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 07:33:11 pm »

I'd like to be able to play, but I can't since I can only use image editing on weekends. Usually.

I'll say in, but skip my turn unless I say otherwise.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 03:10:07 am »

I'd like to be able to play, but I can't since I can only use image editing on weekends. Usually.

I'll say in, but skip my turn unless I say otherwise.

Okay, I'll "bench" you then.
As for ShadowHammer, welcome aboard!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 03:46:02 pm »

Well then - how about we get this started? I would wager that we can get a couple more "players" on board as soon as they see the fun we - hopefully, that is - will have in here. Not trying to be pushy though - just my humble thoughts ;3

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 03:58:17 pm »

IN

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 04:41:51 pm »

Yeah, we could start it. Starting small will probably be for the best, letting us see if this idea actually has any merit. I mean, there haven't been any things like this before, have there?

I'll post the theme and initial picture tomorrow after I get my medical checkup done.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 11:31:52 pm »

Quick! The popcorn!

I will also be making timelapse gifs of those arts at the end of every round! :)
You should also make webms, since the quality is better.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 01:01:58 am »

Quick! The popcorn!

You should also make webms, since the quality is better.

Whatever works.
Also, sitting among 4-8-year olds in here is making me kinda annoyed. Hypocrisy ho!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 02:25:04 am »

Okay, let's get this party started!
One last rule before we begin though... Don't change the canvas size. (think of it as embark size in a DF succession game)
The theme for Round 1 is...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Player list (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 02:28:57 am by DarkDXZ »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9