Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do caravans and invaders enter on the logical side of the map?  (Read 1135 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So if I am on a land bridge separating two isolated landmasses, with ocean on left and right both IN my embark, for instance, will civilizations that are exclusively north of me always send their caravans or sieges from the north edge of the map? Or can they somehow teleport to either side before entering?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Do caravans and invaders enter on the logical side of the map?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 01:47:38 pm »

If the isthmus is fully contained on your embark map, they will spawn at the appropriate side (IIRC), however, if the isthmus is wider than your embark, they can appear anywhere. (confirmed-- created artificial bridge to an island. embark was smaller than island. Invaders and caravans appeared randomly on borders of embark.)

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 05:39:07 pm »

Caravans and invaders will spawn wherever they want to.

But caravans will usually leave along a road if you have one leading to the edge of the map (assuming it's logical and not a squiggly road.)

Goblin invaders however will leave in the direction opposite your maniacal, homocidal adamantine clad dwarves.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:22:12 pm »

Just tested with a carefully chosen embark spanning a peninsula - caravans, migrants, sieges, etc. will come from any side of the embark, including the the "wrong" side of the peninsula. It is also a valid location for wild animals to originate, despite possibly being a tiny piece of land.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:55:25 pm »

Well that sucks. I wanted to do a story/community fort thing where the elves are on one continent and the dwarves another, and it is our sworn mission to build a defensive fort wall on the isthmus before the menace can expand (with judicious use of the [BABYSNATCFHER] tag to ensure constant hostility for the races). Elves washing against our walls like waves upon the rocks, that sort of thing.  But if they're just gonna show up behind us all the time, that's kind of lame.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:21:28 pm »

It might be fixed next version with the new 'army' travel mode.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Abadayos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:44:29 am »

If you only have say a north and a south land mass extending off screen and having ocean on both east and west you can still have it as your story/role play option.

Here is how I would RP it, assuming dwarf civ is to the north and hostile elves/goblins are to the south, to make it easier:

Migrants come from the south: Refugees from a hamlet/minor fort/exploratory mine that was routed by either the Elves or Goblins.

Migrants from the north: Reinforcements sent from the empire, prospectors, profiteers and samplers of fine beer...oh and the occasional sociopath/psychopath that wants to kill anything that isn't a dwarf

Elves/Goblins from the south: Normal raiding party/opportunistic thieves/invasion force/whatever

Elves/Goblins from the north: Tactics using force (flanking your established defensive line) / Routed force that was crushed by a different force and trying to get back home to regroup/ Tunnelers that used the caverns to get around the ocean by going under it (goblins after all do have CAVE trolls/spiders thus it stands to reason that they are able to dig deeply and greedily). For Elves, think they sent a fleet.

Thinking about this it has given me some ideas about wanting to do an RP fortress. Thanks for th fun potential idease