Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Dorven Realms, a Dwarf Fortress-Based Minecraft Terrain Generator.  (Read 183002 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorven Realms, a Dwarf Fortress-Based Minecraft Terrain Generator.
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2014, 12:08:21 am »

Should I infer from this thread that world gen DOES in fact calculate all embark tiles for the world initially?  Not just on an as needed basis?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2014, 12:13:23 am »

As-needed in this case means "When it's trying to export a map"

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2014, 12:16:45 am »

Ah, so upon export, does it only make calls to generate all embark tiles then, or does it even do fortress tiles and things? Or something in between (embark tiles, but with meta data like expected types of resources)?

Or is this all done in some easy to read format that I could just go look up myself? >.>

Also, of the most interest to me: is the format such that you could fairly easily WRITE to the embark tiles in the exported save (and then bring it back in, or is it just for information's sake and never goes back in)? Thus, essentially being able to make something like PerfectWorld but for embark sized tiles (idea goal here)

(sorry to be pesky. I've just somehow gone years without having heard of this)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:25:08 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2014, 07:13:25 am »

Nah, the format isn't anything that can be brought back into DF. It's just a bunch of bitmaps that are exported from the game in legends mode. While the game does have some idea of the minerals available on the embark tile level, that doesn't get exported.

Dwarfy

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanted: Dead or with Chives
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2014, 09:07:52 am »

So, made and generated that map, regrettably I cannot use it as I had neglected to ensure that minecraft in fact even worked on this computer, as I got it January and had yet to test Minecraft. Bugger.

Well, good to see that it was done regardless!

Also, nearby the great lakes eh?
I dub it Niagara Falls.
"Necromancy is sort of like Jaywalking. It's not illegal, just frowned upon."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2014, 10:02:37 am »

I dub it Niagara Falls.

Actually, I said it was far away from the Great Lakes.  If I managed to calculate its location right, it's up in Alaska.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Dwarfy

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanted: Dead or with Chives
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2014, 11:52:53 am »

I dub it Niagara Falls.
Actually, I said it was far away from the Great Lakes.  If I managed to calculate its location right, it's up in Alaska.

My mistake.
Alaskan Niagara it is, then!
"Necromancy is sort of like Jaywalking. It's not illegal, just frowned upon."

Nedreow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2014, 02:40:44 am »

If you want to add DF like ores you can use Custom Ore Generation

With this you could set up mines to mine out the veins of ore.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2014, 05:28:41 am »

My mistake.
Alaskan Niagara it is, then!
Hello, I am a deposed Niagarean prince...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2014, 05:38:07 am »

This looks really nice, but it doesn't seem to be working for me :/ I exported the 3 bmps from legends, selected them in dorvenRealms set the output to my mc save folder, but when I start it it just runs for less than a second and says Done! Hopefully. I tried it on another laptop, but no luck :(. I have also tried changing all the different params ranging from 1x1 world size and up to 256x256, nothing generated.
Don't Panic!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2014, 05:17:26 pm »

Make sure you've put in appropriate numbers for Crop Borders in the south and west boxes. It's a little weird how that works.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2014, 05:18:15 pm »

This looks really nice, but it doesn't seem to be working for me :/ I exported the 3 bmps from legends, selected them in dorvenRealms set the output to my mc save folder, but when I start it it just runs for less than a second and says Done! Hopefully. I tried it on another laptop, but no luck :(. I have also tried changing all the different params ranging from 1x1 world size and up to 256x256, nothing generated.
Did you move anything out of the folder you extracted the download into? Because I had problems with that at one point because of that and the result was exactly what you describe.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Euius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2014, 11:22:34 pm »

Kinda jumping in late here, but you may want to look at a mod called Underground Biomes for minecraft.  It adds (cosmetic) blocks for many types of stone, and might have actually been based on DF stone.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1287082-1-6-x-1-5-x-1-4-7-underground-biomes-forge-smp

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2014, 08:19:18 am »

If you want a good modded minecraft to use with a dwarffortress world maybe try terrafirmacraft?  It adds all kinds of new stone and metal types, and has funky stone age tools to boot.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2014, 08:38:12 am »

Just a note that none of these mods should have any issues with the worlds generated by Dorven Realms, because it just lets minecraft handle ores.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15