Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Dorven Realms, a Dwarf Fortress-Based Minecraft Terrain Generator.  (Read 182984 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Dorven Realms, a Dwarf Fortress-Based Minecraft Terrain Generator.
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2014, 04:36:16 pm »

Terrafirmacraft pretty much changes everything about Minecraft and worldgen. I'll try it and see.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:17 am »

I've been getting this thread confused with the stonesense one, curse you Japa and your pixelated multitasking!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2014, 04:25:02 am »

Hey Japa, have you ever considered using DFHack's world export files to recreate the world tile by tile in 3D? I toyed around with it for a while, the export files are easy enough to read, but I've never gotten the knack of writing the new MC file format.
Playing since 2007

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2014, 04:26:17 am »

The problem is one of scales.

I can have the entire world in minecraft, or I can have something at a scale where you can see fortress details, but not both.

That said, if you don't care about the entire world, I could easily even have a program that converts the world to minecraft as you move around.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:27:49 am by Japa »

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2014, 05:42:20 am »

That would be wonderful. I can never really wrap my head around DFs 2D way of viewing things. If you got something like that out, even at the regional level I think it would get very big very fast.

Just out of curiosity, if you were to make a converter which takes every tile and expands it to Minecraft region format, how long would it take? Days?
Playing since 2007

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2014, 05:44:06 am »

Try out isoworld to get an idea.

For every part of the world you want at full scale, you need to visit that area.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2014, 04:20:10 pm »

any youtube demonstrations?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2014, 11:09:00 am »

Japa is God.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2014, 09:46:45 pm »

Ptw
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

distractobot

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Long time listener, first time caller.
    • View Profile
Good to go for Minecraft 1.8
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2014, 05:14:30 pm »

Japa has created a finely-crafted +utility+. It menaces with spikes of full compatibility with Minecraft 1.8. On the surface is engraved an image of Steve striking down a cave spider in lapis lazuli.

For those who can't get this to work, make sure you DL Dorven Realms from http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8553
I tried to use the one that came in the new LNP and it did not contain the .dll files needed to compile.
does anyone else think 'jmq' when they want to assign someone a task?

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2014, 06:51:51 pm »

Would it be possible to work this with a mod that edits terrain generation?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2014, 04:53:10 pm »

As long as terrain gen doesn't add any new blocks to the terrain (i.e., stone is still stone, dirt and grass are still grass) it works fine. Terrafirmacraft does not, for example.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

memzak

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2014, 12:12:20 pm »

This is a brilliant idea! Has this project been abandoned in favor of other projects?

I would be very much interested in seeing progress in this utility. It was also mentioned hat there was a possibility of generating the minecraft map on the fly to allow for 1:1 Minecraft block to in game DF tile? That sounds like an awesome idea to me that could sort out a lot of the complaints about ugly rivers or how DF forts couldn't be generated alongside the map itself due to scale differences. Even if that isn't a possibility any more, work on the original utility would be much appreciated. :)

Some ideas moving forward could be:

Biome selection based on the biome, vegetation, temperature and evilness maps and support for custom biomes like those from ExtraBiomesXL or BIome 'O Plenty.
More cave generation functionality? Things like multiple cavern layers, where these layers begin and end, height, width and density of these layers, percentage of floor to be mycellium being set for each layer (with the possibility for 0% and 100%).
Toggleable tunnels on top of caverns? (MC tunnel generation on top of the caverns)
Toggleable Lava lakes at y-level 12? (for those who need lava in the overworld)
Less blocky generation due to scale differences, generate curves to bridge random blocky terrain borders.

If you are willing to allow another access to the source code, I wouldn't mind helping / trying out these ideas? (but depending on the language, my input may be minimal)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2014, 12:31:51 pm »

A lot of those are pretty good ideas. The main issue is that there didn't really seem to be a whole lot of interest in the program in general (300 downloads since release)
Also I play neither Minecraft nor DF right now, so... >_>

If you are willing to allow another access to the source code, I wouldn't mind helping / trying out these ideas? (but depending on the language, my input may be minimal)
https://github.com/JapaMala/DwarvenRealms

It's all written in .net C#
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15