Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Dorven Realms, a Dwarf Fortress-Based Minecraft Terrain Generator.  (Read 185480 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Dorven Realms, a Dwarf Fortress-Based Minecraft Terrain Generator.
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2014, 01:15:16 am »

Speaking of which, what does it do with the edges of the map? Does it just go over to normal randomly generated terrain, or will I run into a big void or ocean or something?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2014, 01:32:03 am »

Currently there's just nothing down to the flat bedrock level. I assume Minceraft generation takes over later on, but I didn't actually fly out to check.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2014, 02:38:29 am »

Right now it just switches over to minecraft generation.

If there's enough interest, I could maybe add an option for a border.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2014, 05:08:18 am »

I don't think a border is needed. We should be able to use 1.8's world border option soon anyway, if it's necessary for servers or the like.
Spoiler: Tangent (click to show/hide)
If you're looking for something to work on next, I'll stick by my smooth-the-rivers suggestion. They and the caverns are the best part of the maps as far as I'm concerned - at least until it's possible to bring over houses/fortresses/etc. - so seeing them looking a bit more natural would be amazing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dwarfy

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanted: Dead or with Chives
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2014, 12:33:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yay for failure!

Okay so yeah, stopped at about halfway once again. Above is the exact error message, unsure of what it means or how exactly one could fix it. Anyone have any idea? As far as I can tell the program just didn't like the value, so perhaps the set minimum and maximum should just be extended? Any help is welcome.
Details: Continue button did not fix, simply repeated the error; text- "Value of -507 is not valid for Value, Value should be between minimum and maximum"

I shall continue in the endevor, yet this time I shall attempt the use of a medium map rather than a large one; given the scale I do suppose it wouldn't affect too much.

Also, for the record, once I've worked out the production kinks I do intend to repeat the project using each of the gens provided in the following:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9002
Depending on the filesize, I might upload them as well. With my internet it'll probably take as long as it does to generate them, but still I figure I might as well! :D
"Necromancy is sort of like Jaywalking. It's not illegal, just frowned upon."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2014, 11:22:03 pm »

So far as I can tell, what's happening is that one of the GUI elements is being set to something outside what it's suppossed to show.

Have you trie showing the details?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2014, 09:32:00 pm »

Generating a medium North America map with the intention to upload.  Blocks per embark tile is set to 5, Cave Height 15, Cave Width 10, Cave Coverage 60.  No idea what those last three affect.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2014, 08:56:16 pm »

I want to know where this is on the main Dwarf Fortress map I exported this from...

Edit:
Actually, this one I want to know more about than that one.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:02:53 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2014, 09:08:39 pm »

What map did you generate this from?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2014, 09:25:32 pm »

What map did you generate this from?

North America.  I can post the world.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:27:44 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2014, 10:28:39 pm »

Generating a medium North America map with the intention to upload.  Blocks per embark tile is set to 5, Cave Height 15, Cave Width 10, Cave Coverage 60.  No idea what those last three affect.

Those last three effect cave generation

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2014, 10:35:25 pm »

That can't be Niagara falls, it's not wide enough....
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2014, 10:58:01 pm »

That can't be Niagara falls, it's not wide enough....

Well, Dwarf Fortress only generates rivers one embark tile wide, and I have the tiles set to 5, so that might be one of the issues.  However, I've calculated location, and it is far to the north-west of the Great Lakes.

Edit:

Also,
here's (if it didn't screw up) the map I mentioned I was generating earlier.  The falls are on here, but I found them on a map fragment I decided to generate up.

Biome Map of the linked map:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:01:21 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:57 pm »

Playing on that might be difficult because of how large and spread apart the biomes are...

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2014, 12:05:22 am »

Playing on that might be difficult because of how large and spread apart the biomes are...

Becomes slightly less daunting when its 10 kilometers to a side, and the area it is centered on is decently diverse if you head west.  Though, if someone wants to run this as a server, then you may want to construct a starting area for new players to get supplies from.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15