Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Dorven Realms, a Dwarf Fortress-Based Minecraft Terrain Generator.  (Read 182996 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Dorven Realms, a Dwarf Fortress-Based Minecraft Terrain Generator.
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2016, 01:53:06 am »

Sure, why not make minecraft more complex. A ton more ores, stones and metals is a hell of a lot better than the kind of complexity Civcraft decided to strive for. I'm planning on making some far easier stripped down versions of current Civcraft mods which I'm hoping to run on a friends server, perhaps she might be convinced to use this for a new map. Or otherwise I really want to test this out anyway. I might be able to just convert ores I have no need for to something else.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2016, 02:03:16 am »

I'm getting a new computer in a few days, should be able to test this out then.

Actually, yo, Japa, does/can this thing do structures?

If it's possible to configure it for such, I really want to try generating a world for a few millennia to see how all the structures look.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2016, 02:08:26 am »

It doesn't read any structures from dwarf fortress, and even if it did, there'd be major scaling issues. It doesn't even read town locations.

Any towns are the ones that minecraft generates.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2016, 02:09:19 am »

That's what I thought, but asking seemed worthwhile.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2016, 07:06:02 am »

Someone on the minecraft forum thread already did some checking about the scaling issues, things like doors and stairs would be useless, the fact that you can travel diagonally in DF but not minecraft causes problems.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2016, 12:17:36 am »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2016, 03:27:40 am »

Well, I'm genning a DF world to test this with, look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Edit: It seems to put a file labeled "region" in the saves folder. Given that it's not formatted as a save file, this may be a problem.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:16:09 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2016, 02:44:55 am »

Take a look at the Minecraft save file format, especially in the folder called "world" I think.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2016, 04:31:54 am »

Ahhhh, okay, that helps. Either I messed something up, or it outputs the "region" and "level.dat" files straight to the saves folder instead of their own subfolder.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2016, 02:40:30 am »

the diagonal travelling can be possible if a "square" is 5x5 blocks with missing corner blocks.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2016, 02:47:18 am »

Or even 3x3 blocks

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2016, 03:01:03 am »

yes, if it's necessary. but if it's made into a mod, this could also just have custom blocks:
-stairwells
-ramps
-doorways
etc.
complete with ceilings/floor and automatically applying to their surroundings, like "glass panes" or "stairs" already do in minecraft.
rough hewn, smooth and engraved versions of all materials.
also you can have custom player and monster models that are just small enough to pass though those blocks.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

memzak

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2016, 12:30:04 pm »

Hey guys, just popping in to mention that my fork is indeed dead / abandoned.

My fork managed to redo a bit of the biome selection system to place biomes based on biome type, temperature and vegetation and then smooth it all, with the possibility for modded weighted modded Biomes (high temperature, vegetation and a green biome from DF implies a randomly rainforest biome from the list of biomes) to be added... but I never got around to cleaning up my code, making an XML import system and optimizing anything before I dropped it... so the entire thing is a horrific abandoned mess. The hacked together spaghetti code I have there should never be seen...  >_>"

I ultimately gave up when I realized that exporting entire maps just doesn't work well with Minecraft's 256 block height limit and would only really make sense if something like Cubic Chunks was a thing. Oh, also real life punched me in the face and then I was KO-ed with laziness thereafter. <_<"

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2016, 03:19:09 pm »

i guess i should just accept that these two games will never be merged :(

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2016, 03:21:57 am »

I would love to use this, but it does not work for me. Halp?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15