Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Dorven Realms, a Dwarf Fortress-Based Minecraft Terrain Generator.  (Read 182986 times)

rokoeh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dorven Realms, a Dwarf Fortress-Based Minecraft Terrain Generator.
« Reply #195 on: August 01, 2018, 12:36:47 am »

Aren't there mods to increase the world height of MC?

One day we will see 3d chunks...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2018, 12:56:51 am »

Aren't there mods to increase the world height of MC?
One day we will see 3d chunks...
There was Robinton's Cubic Chunks mod. Last version was for MC 1.0.1.

Barteks2x was making one for a more recent version, but I haven't been following what state it's in. Lighting wasn't working below 1000 blocks, last I checked.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

azeroth2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2018, 01:47:29 pm »

My experience playing with this 1-2 years ago was that this isn't the right approach  One of the main problems is perhaps shown best by analogy:

The surface-area of DF is to MC as the sun is to Deimos.

I used Legends mode to pick out sites and roads, adding them to the map. It was fun work. (I don't recall if I committed back, I should do that) Unfortunately, the over-world is not actually of any reasonable resolution for converting worlds into MC.  If you expanded it to what you'd need to insert even MC villages where cities/sites are, the entire world would be mostly flat.  That's not exciting for rivers and bridges.

The project is usable, though, so folks could take it on if they wanted to -- obviously I got too busy to go much further than what I've alluded to here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2018, 04:42:32 pm »

Yeah, the DF world, at a 1:1 scale is simultaneously both too flat to be interesting in minecraft, but also too tall to fit into the vertical limits.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2018, 02:14:52 pm »

Yeah, the DF world, at a 1:1 scale is simultaneously both too flat to be interesting in minecraft, but also too tall to fit into the vertical limits.
and it is unwalkable.
converting 1:1 means one tile converts to a 1x1x1 MC area = 1 block and that would result in no walkable area.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2018, 03:34:39 pm »

No, 1:1 means 1tile in DF is 2 blocks wide by 3 blocks high in minecraft.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2018, 05:37:09 am »

No, 1:1 means 1tile in DF is 2 blocks wide by 3 blocks high in minecraft.
then go into MC and try building an upstairs within a 1x1x3 area.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2018, 08:13:50 am »

You can fit a ladder in 2x2x3

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 21, 2018, 04:46:48 pm »

You can fit a ladder in 2x2x3
but not stairs or a bed without restricting the walkability to at least some directions.

azeroth2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2018, 08:58:01 am »

None of you are wrong!

Any DF to MC conversion is going to have to take some artistic liberties with world-terrain scaling and individual location implementation. Definitely the scaling factors have to be different. From Legends world view, you might want 25 or 30 to 1, but your fortress would be best as, say, 3:1 (Note, if you did a "4x4" as the base terrain in DF, your MC map would still be huge and not walkable.  Maybe this conversion should require smaller forts.) 

As mentioned, world height in MC is a problem both in world gen and fortress mode.  There's probably some artistic way around that in world gen by strategic block selection and the bumpiness of the terrain, for example mountains might be best represented by stone and repeating steep slopes.  In fortress mode, I don't know how you compress that down. Perhaps something like the MC Cubic Chunk mod could be brought into play, but that's out of my realm of expertise.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2018, 09:56:45 am »

Tiles are the squares that form a map. They are approximately two meters long, two meters wide, and three meters high.[1](However, the physics calculations assume a tile size of 2.8 meters high, and a tick rate of 10 ticks per second)
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tile

so the closest way of converting would turn a DF Tile into 2x2x3 MC blocks including floor.
that would guarantee free movement, although there would be no way of still having functional stairs, but you'd have to use ladders instead and all doors would look silly.
it would however be easiest to convert it into 3x3x4 MC blocks instead, which would allow for stairs and have a nice ceiling height.
this also would make some architecture look nicer.

as the tile sizes are subject of speculative thinking of Toady, this might be changed in the future anyway, so just using measurements that would look nicest and be arbitrary makes more sense than using measurements that are exactly to scale, but just look shitty and are neither arbitrary nor actually walkable for a MC char.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2019, 02:26:46 pm »

I don’t know if anyone is still watching this, but I cannot get Dorven realms to work. It functions fine, after generating the world a few times, and everything has functioned perfectly, except that whenever one of the worlds is actually opened, Minecraft just straight-up chooses a random seed and generates that instead.
If anyone is still watching, is there any workaround? Has anyone ever had this problem? Or does my computer really just hate me?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2019, 02:46:45 pm »

Probably something changed to the way minecraft loads maps.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2019, 02:50:27 pm »

You’re probably right. I’ll try with 1.13 tomorrow, and one or two earlier versions if I can. Thanks.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2019, 02:03:37 am »

I don’t know if anyone is still watching this, but I cannot get Dorven realms to work. It functions fine, after generating the world a few times, and everything has functioned perfectly, except that whenever one of the worlds is actually opened, Minecraft just straight-up chooses a random seed and generates that instead.
If anyone is still watching, is there any workaround? Has anyone ever had this problem? Or does my computer really just hate me?
my first guess:
the MC world that gets created might actually contain the exported world, but you might be somewhere else and around the DF world, a regular MC world is created.
my second guess:
you have the wrong version of MC.
A lot has changed about game worlds and their format.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15