Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]

Author Topic: Uskarian Adventures : It's dead, Jim.  (Read 74392 times)

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Uskarian Adventures : Trouble with doors
« Reply #795 on: October 15, 2014, 09:55:18 am »

Stay still, and let them pass me. If they start searching, and if one gets too close, pick the dwarf closest to me up by his leg, and use him as a club against the other dwarves. Use the dwarf I picked up's spear as another weapon if he dropped it, and poke the dwarves with that too.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:57:00 am by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Uskarian Adventures : It's dead, Jim.
« Reply #796 on: January 17, 2015, 05:48:15 pm »

So, this died. I blame myself. The world didn't have enough consistency. The themes were all over the place, which made it hard to think up stuff that would fit in. There were so many themes going on that the overall world suffered. Most of all, magic was goddamn everywhere and I ran into loads of problems thinking up new problems and things for you guys to face, because every question I asked myself could basically be answered "because magic".

So after four months of being in some sort of limbo, it is now officially dead. If you'd like to know anything from the game/backstory, insofar there ever was one, feel free to ask. If you wish to express your dissapointment with me or the game, feel free to do so as well, criticisms will only help the next game become better. If you want to acknowledge your love for icecream, more power to you.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 17, 2015, 06:33:41 pm »

Oh hey! That's the second post-mortem GM post I've seen today.

Well. This went better than your previous RTD, I think. I greatly enjoyed playing a dwarf clown, as a side note. Man, the good memories just keep flooding back now that I've remembered this existed.

You had the right idea with this game, that's what probably counts. It did go off in a strange direction with the trickster god's quest, complete with improbably powerful rewards for said quest, and maybe also with the battle of the bands and so on, but the right idea was certainly there.

About magic, it didn't quite seem like that was the problem for me. Seems more like lack of forward planning was more of an issue, though you say that's an extension of "too much magic"? Hm.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 17, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »

Forward planning was definetly the big problem. The problem with the magic, as I said, was that there was too much of it. It created problems when trying to piece things together. Like, the enemy destroys our crops, but that's okay, we'll just get  wizards to make us more. Elves get big senient treants? pyromancers of course. It's not a problem in and of itself, but I've noticed that I can't handle balancing magical stuff too well. The rtd system with varying degrees of succes didn't really help me there either, I think.

And yeah, made a beginning, thought up a lot of stuff for the endgame, but didn't spend enough time on everything in between. I'll either need to spend more time on my next setting. Or, perhaps better yet, just go with an existing one that I know very well.

Glad you enjoyed it, at least. Do you want some kind of epilogue, or info on stuff?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 18, 2015, 05:55:33 am »

Forward planning was definetly the big problem. The problem with the magic, as I said, was that there was too much of it. It created problems when trying to piece things together. Like, the enemy destroys our crops, but that's okay, we'll just get  wizards to make us more. Elves get big senient treants? pyromancers of course. It's not a problem in and of itself, but I've noticed that I can't handle balancing magical stuff too well. The rtd system with varying degrees of succes didn't really help me there either, I think.

And yeah, made a beginning, thought up a lot of stuff for the endgame, but didn't spend enough time on everything in between. I'll either need to spend more time on my next setting. Or, perhaps better yet, just go with an existing one that I know very well.

Glad you enjoyed it, at least. Do you want some kind of epilogue, or info on stuff?

No need for an epilogue, I think. I can roughly imagine what'd happen to Nosegay, probably some sort of horrible accident.

As for balancing measures for magic... well, typical one is that there's not a lot of wizards (either due to there being a genetic factor in getting magic or getting magic being a highly perilous thing to attempt). The other is that magic is unpredictable, of course, so you don't want to levitate buildings or touch your food with it. Finally, for a more interesting twist, maybe magic is entirely predictable, but it's also completely radioactive and uses of it shoot off neutron radiation, which nobody can perceive with the current technological level in a way other than eating a faceful of fermions and experiencing acute tissue ionization. So wizardry becomes a much more fun proposition, all in all.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 18, 2015, 06:39:06 am »

Indeed, I've become a fan of low wizard numbers and radioactive magic myself after reading some discworld books. I think I might go for a setting like discworld for my next one. I'm having a hard time to decide though, because I also like the idea of a WWII or wild west occult game. Or ghost in the shell style cyberpunk. Either way, less mages next time.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 18, 2015, 06:45:38 am »

Indeed, I've become a fan of low wizard numbers and radioactive magic myself after reading some discworld books. I think I might go for a setting like discworld for my next one. I'm having a hard time to decide though, because I also like the idea of a WWII or wild west occult game. Or ghost in the shell style cyberpunk. Either way, less mages next time.

"Whatever we do, screw wizards."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 18, 2015, 06:49:21 am »

Pretty much. To hell with those arrogant bastards in their pointy hats.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 18, 2015, 07:30:16 am »

Then how about the post-apocalyptic WW2-era Discworld?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 18, 2015, 07:48:15 am »

Then how about the post-apocalyptic WW2-era Discworld?
I don't know, I feel like that's the kind of genre mixing which got me into trouble in my first rtd and to a lesser extent with this one. Seeing as I still have a ways to go to become a decent gm, I should probably stick to something simpler for the time being.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 18, 2015, 08:22:20 am »

Pretty much. To hell with those arrogant bastards in their pointy hats.

"The Arcanodrome: the Special Olympics for mentally challenged mages"

Now you van have magic AND relentlessly mock wizards. Sounds kinda fun, actually.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 19, 2015, 08:44:09 pm »

This was my favourite RTD while it was running... I still feel bad for not posting for such a long time.
I was having a bit of trouble figuring out Moskar's next action (always a sign of a good game when you have to put a lot of thought into it!) and then IRL stuff changed and I had nowhere near as much time for RTDs.
I think I dropped out of a lot of the games I was in, actually... I pretty much feel like Hitler. :<

Definitely keep me posted on whatever games you run in future, though! I enjoyed your GM'ing, hopefully I'll be able to participate more fully in future. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]