Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enclosing a Brook into My Fort  (Read 2134 times)

JerDGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Enclosing a Brook into My Fort
« on: May 07, 2014, 12:23:47 pm »

So I'm working on a fort with a brook that runs through my above ground level, so I can keep my animals grazing etc... during a siege.  Also because my embark spot has a brook running through it and I still want to make a nice, big, square symmetrical fort as usual.

Can I build walls over the brook? Do I need to place a floor/something else first? Make sense?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Enclosing a Brook into My Fort
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 12:53:27 pm »

I would think you could just build a wall over it. If not, excavate the top 'layer' of the brook and then build walls.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

JerDGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54:38 pm »

Yes, you are correct.  Normally I would have just tried it w/out asking, but I really didnt want one of my starting seven to drown before my first caravan/migrant wave arrived.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 02:29:46 pm »

A "wall" includes a floor, so you can just build walls.  However, you'll need a floor to stand on, if you're going to build a wall in the middle of a river.  Usually I build bridges like this:

(O=wall, +=floor, ~=water)

Code: [Select]
~~O+++O~~
~~O+++O~~
~~O+++O~~
~~O+++O~~

Floors first, then walls to prevent reduce dumb dodging dwarf death.

By the way, if you puncture a cavern, you will get fungus growing in your soil layers, so your grazers can graze indoors.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 03:50:12 pm »

A "wall" includes a floor, so you can just build walls.  However, you'll need a floor to stand on, if you're going to build a wall in the middle of a river.
Read the original post more closely - he's dealing with a brook, and brooks have floors built into them.

In fact, in this situation, brooks have the added advantage that they can protect you from creatures that would otherwise jump into the water, swim under your walls, and then emerge inside your fortress.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Abadayos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:08:18 pm »

down side to brooks however is the inability to make choke points for non-flyers/swimmers and to me that is annoying.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 06:14:33 pm »

Easily resolved by channeling into the brook. This creates a "stream/river" type obstacle. If connected to the edge of the map (somehow-- say, through a fortification slit) it will even flow just like a stream. This is very useful if you want to use the brook as a safe water generator source (much safer than a river source tile!) and have access to magma for casting with.  You can channel out the brook, cast magma into the channel to make obsidian in the channel, leave a plug, then mine out the rest of the channel, and dig the fortification at the edge of the map.  Simply "uncork" the channel when everything is ready.

Brooks are very useful map features. You can do a lot more with brooks than you can with a normal river source, if you use it creatively.