Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pantheon Script (alpha released)  (Read 8572 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Pantheon Script (alpha released)
« on: May 07, 2014, 05:38:42 pm »

This mod adds a new dimension to the game: making the gods get up off their lazy bums and do something.

You build an altar in fortress mode, consecrate it to a god worshiped by your civilization, and then pray or sacrifice items to improve your merit and increase the belief level of your citizens.  When your merit and belief is high enough, the god may intervene on your behalf.  Every sphere will have a different effect on gameplay, so choose your idols with care.  A god of metals may increase your smelting efficiency, while a god of agriculture may increase crop yields, a god of chaos may cause your enemies to fight among themselves, and a volcano god is likely to be a lot of !!fun!!

It's still pretty experimental right now.  Not all gods have a logical effect, but many do.

To install it, place the building_pantheon and reaction_pantheon files into the raw folder, copy and paste entity_pantheon_clip into your entity file, and place pantheon.lua into the dfhack scripts folder.  The script must be running in order to work.

0.1 alpha: The altar building, consecration, prayer, and sacrifice reactions are active.  Some spheres are active.  If nothing else, all deities can smite enemies by slamming them into the ground.

Download Link

Spoiler: Existing effects (click to show/hide)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Putting the Pantheon to Work (collecting ideas)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:42:35 pm »

df.sphere_type[num] is what you want for finding sphere strings based on numbers. For example, df.sphere_type[2] is ART.

Information found here by ctrl+f "sphere", with this line:

Code: [Select]
<enum base-type='int16_t' type-name='sphere_type'/>
meaning that there's an enum of sphere types which can be accessed with df.sphere_type. df.sphere_type['ART'] will come up with 2 as well.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 05:57:39 pm »

If you want people to make suggestions about different spheres, I would suggest posting a list of all spheres first. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:09:40 pm »

That list is longer than I remembered. How many effects per sphere are you planning to do?

I would single out the ones used in the dwarven entity file first, as a testrun. No need to work on spheres not used by civs that the player will never play.

You can also rename spheres with the string dump patcher from insolor. In case there are some you really dont want or really do want to add.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 06:10:16 pm »

Dwarves use other spheres, they just prefer those ones.

EDIT: Also, I would not rename spheres. That'd be like changing [MEGABEAST] to [NASTY_THING]. No real point to it, breaks compatibility with other things.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 07:15:39 pm »

.....after glancing through the list I am very interested to see what you do with the Lust sphere.

heh.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 11:16:03 pm »

Long ago i started an idea like this. Unfortunately laziness happened, so salvage what you want: my ideas

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 12:48:39 am »

Long ago i started an idea like this. Unfortunately laziness happened, so salvage what you want: my ideas

Using statues and figurines for something could be interesting.  Everything works through abstract persistent variables though, so no need to affect the actual god's historical figure.  There is a sliding scale for a god's "realness" based on how many believers there are in a fort and how often they are worshiped.  Belief for a given unit is an integer value between 1 and 100, raising this by one every time they do a service could allow you to increase overall belief in a particular deity.  Creating new, 'fake' gods is possible, but for now you'll need at least one citizen believing in a god already before it can be worshiped (this also means that the effects of prayer will be greatly affected by your civ's associated religion spheres).

That list is longer than I remembered. How many effects per sphere are you planning to do?

Several - there should be at least one 'good' effect and one 'bad' effect, and some effects based on specific situations such as invasions.  But, there will be a lot of overlapping.  Spheres with 'friend' relationships will be very similar for the most part.

.....after glancing through the list I am very interested to see what you do with the Lust sphere.

Interestingly, LUST is only associated with DEPRAVITY, which itself is only notable as being one of the spheres opposed to LAWS (the others being CHAOS, MURDER and THEFT), suggesting that in DF at least, LUST is basically a sphere related to illegal activities.  Now what effects could come from that...?  No idea!

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 02:05:56 am »

Not sure if you noticed the second page in the doc. It's a start to sphere effect brainstorming...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 04:01:07 am »

Not sure if you noticed the second page in the doc. It's a start to sphere effect brainstorming...

I saw it.  It's a good start.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 03:28:04 pm »

How is it going?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 04:23:27 pm »

Oh, I nearly forgot about this one!  Too many projects going on - I haven't done anything on this for a while.  I have the framework but none of the actual effects.  So, uh, hiatus until further notice?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 04:42:44 pm »

Oh, I nearly forgot about this one!  Too many projects going on - I haven't done anything on this for a while.  I have the framework but none of the actual effects.  So, uh, hiatus until further notice?
I had a hunch, which was the reason to slightly prod this thread with a stick. "Its not moving, maybe its dead..." *touch

Pages: [1] 2 3