Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wrath of the Random Number God IC - Trap dun got you'd.  (Read 3668 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Wrath of the Random Number God IC - Trap dun got you'd.
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:19:32 pm »

OOC thread.

You are days from civilzation, standing before a great stone door in the wall of a cliff. It is a famous ancient ruin, rumored to be built by a great empire which descended into madness hundreds or maybe thousands of years before the current kingdom was born. A wise sage told you that the doors would open at the coming of a solar eclipse, which is supposed to happen in just a few minutes. You are, however, the only adventurers to have come here, because the wise sage also once told everyone that the doors would open at the lunar eclipse, summer solstice, winter solstice, and Manure Shoveler's Union day.

Now would be a good time to introduce your characters, in the silence before the monumental doors in the cliff. Also, roll a spot check...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:12:08 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Wrath of the Random Number God IC
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:18:31 am »

The Halfling Derek “The Throttler” Boweltrust fidgeted about a bit. He was totally ready to adventure and test his fairly recently developed arcane talent, but this door was just stupid. It had been foretold that, within, there would lay many things of probably great interest to a budding wizard such as he, and he yearned to discover these things, and wave them vigorously in the faces of those who, back home, had said that this wizarding thing was a dangerous path, and one only to be trodden by elves and eejits.

And so he waited before the door, and glanced idly about, hoping that his name would impress his fellow adventurers, who all looked, in fact, nearly as fresh as he did. He had named himself Derek The Throttler, for his ultimate aim was to learn such power that he could throttle a mortal with a mere glance, but for the moment the best he could do was shoot colours out of his finger tips and make things glow.

He was, all of a sudden, not terribly reassured.

”Hello, everyone!” he squeaked in as deep and as serious a voice as he could, ”My name is Derek. Derek “The Throttler” Boweltrust. I am a mage. I am here for the grand opening!”

Spot Check at +1!

edit: +1
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:40:14 am by lawastooshort »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 04:18:33 pm »

A figure atop a great steed, a shining lance held aloft appears silhouetted by the soon to be eclipsed sun. A small cloud of dust and the sound of soft padded feet later and great St Bernard bounds into view. Perched atop the hound is a tiny wrinkled, faintly green fellow with long pointed ears and huge bulbous eyes. He is dressed in loose fitting robes, and as he pulls up besides them, the shoulder comes loose and a strange brand mark is briefly revealed before he pulls the cloth back up.

"Fear not, noble travellers, 'tis I, Ser Garkbo," says the small man. No... not a man, a goblin.

The dog woofs excitedly.

"Yes, yes, I know old plum, I was just getting to you," says the goblin. "And this," he continues, "is Ser Barksalot. We had heard from a very reliable source that today the door would open."

Initial greetings are made and Ser Garkbo is oblivious to any discomfit he may be causing being, as he is, an a'feared goblin.

"Well met, Mr The Throttler," says Garkbo with a little bow for which he doesn't dismount from the dog. "And why do they call you that? Too firm with your secret wizard handshakes, eh?"

(Edit: spot at +1)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:52:29 am by notquitethere »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:29:38 pm »

Another ridign dog trots up, a small figure perched on top. She's short, even for a gnome, and oddly bald. Her very movements seem weak and energy-less.
I am Ket. I am a druid. she says simply, and stops. A brief moment of silence is had before the other two introduce themselves.

Well met. she whispers, and is again silent. Hmm.

Spot at +3
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 03:19:13 am »

"Ser Garko, Ser Barksalot, Ket; well met indeed. Secret wizard handshakes, oh yes! Very much too firm," squeaks Derek, imperceptibly flexing his handshaking muscles, "But no: they have called me Derek the Throttler ever since I learned to throttle assailants with the power of my mind, or magic, if you will. But fear not - I have never throttled an innocent, and never shall do..."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 07:01:02 am »

"All is good," a broad, armored dwarf with quite a few weapons attached to her back says, swinging a waraxe slowly through the air. "I am Burkha, warrior of swingchop, flail, crossbow," she says to the others. "You all - halfling wizard, Garkbo, Barksalot and gnomish druid. Glad to know."

It was difficult for her to understand what they were saying, but they seemed nice enough. And she had gotten reasonably good at reading context despite the perplexing words some people tended to choose for their speech.

"Today door will unclose, as sun will go dark," she stated thoughtfully, so as to make her purpose here plain.

Spot at no penalty!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wrath of the Random Number God IC - Ambush!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 06:32:22 pm »

We're still awaiting darkpaladin, but I'll go ahead and post anyway. Don't worry, I'll still give him his spot check- you'll need it, since he rolls on a 6.

Tactical: You are standing in a clearing, near the cliff wall/door to east and with the forest and undergrowth about 30 feet to the north and south. There is a narrow path from the west, which is how you got here.

Spot check results:
Lawastooshort: 3
notquitethere: 9
Gilgamesh: 16
Harry Baldman: 16
darkpaladin: 22

Gilgamesh and Harry (Ket and Burkha) spot a goblin, hiding in the bushes to the north. Darkpaladin (Urist McStickyfinger), who has a keener eye, spots a hobgoblin and one more goblin hiding to the south. "You fools!" the hobgoblin rasps to his partners, in Goblin. "You let them spot us!"

Initiatives are rolled!
Lawastooshort: 18
Enemies: 16
darkpaladin: 14
notquitethere: 13
Harry Baldman: 7
Gilgamesh: 6

The goblins' hands are on their weapons, ready to attack. Declare what you will do on your initiative. If you wish to attempt diplomacy or other shenanigans, you may do it before combat begins.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 06:40:36 pm »

Roll a spot check on a +6.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 06:43:08 pm »

You uh, already did that. And you spotted a hobgoblin!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 01:21:53 am »

"Bollocks. Goblins around. Not Garkbo and Barksalot, no."

Draw swingchop (waraxe) and ready shield, and if possible, charge at the nearest enemy and swingchop them, since diplomacy looks to be horrendously unlikely to happen successfully. Though if somebody does try diplomacy, wait politely for them to finish and, should they fail, commence murder.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:59:38 am by Harry Baldman »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 01:26:47 am »

Draw crossbow and commence Diplomacy (+0)!

"Come! Let us be friends, fellow rightsizers! Join our fight against the tyranny of the idiot large! Surely, you do not wish to face the power of Derek the Throttler and my Many Followers? Yield and let us depart, or join us!"

Assuming this fails, cast Sleep at the hobgoblin and goblin. Also hide behind an armoured comrade.

"Eejits! Behold my monstrous power!"
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:47:07 am by lawastooshort »

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 04:07:41 am »

Run back behind everyone else and draw my crossbow and shield.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 06:23:46 am »

If the attempts at diplomacy should fail, Ser Garkbo will say in impeccable Goblin, "Have at it fiends, and leave us to our business!", charging the Hobgoblin in a ride by attack with his lance (+5) and ending up some 50ft away.

((I believe I can move up to twice the dog's speed of 40 over the course of a ride by attack))

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 08:23:31 am »

Diplomance at +1. 'We have no valuables, and no wish to fight. But we will kill you if we must. Leave us be.'
Ride out of reach.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 04:35:54 pm »

Diplomacy:
lawas (Derek) and Gilgamesh (Ket) try to talk down the goblins. Derek (5) doesn't impress the goblins at all. In fact, the Hobgoblin especially seems insulted by the "idiot large" comment, as he stands at 6'2". Ket's words of warning (20) give pause to the goblin to the north, who slinks into the bushes. The hobgoblin shouts "When I'm done with these fools, you cowards are next!" He and the goblin to the south ready to attack.

Combat:
Here's the initiative order.
Lawastooshort: 18
Enemies: 16
darkpaladin: 14
notquitethere: 13
Harry Baldman: 7
Gilgamesh: 6

Derek is first on the draw! He waves his hands and casts a sleep spell at the angered hobgoblin and his follower. Unfortunately, both charge ahead unheeded. It so happens (1d5: 5, both times) that Burkha is closest, and the target for their attacks! The attacks (9, 7) both completely miss. Darkpaladin shoots a crossbow bolt at the hobgoblin, (18) hitting him square in the chest and dealing 5 damage. Ser Garkbo charges on his riding dog (24) dealing 5 more damage, which is doubled to 10! The hobgoblin is run through with the lance and killed immediately. Garkbo is forced to stop his charge when he meets the undergrowth on the south end of the clearing. Burkha retaliates to the goblin's attack, (14) but her axe glances off of the goblin's armor. Ket, lastly, rides a little west to get away from the fighting.

The goblin who attacked Burkha is cowed by the death of the hobgoblin. "Leader is dead! I quit! Let me go!" From the north, the goblin who hid earlier reveals himself, as do two more who had previously gone unseen. It takes them a moment, but one musters the courage to say, "We are done fighting. Let him go."
Pages: [1] 2 3