Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Webs pausing needs?  (Read 3542 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Webs pausing needs?
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:20:56 pm »

I have a forgotten beast with webs that has been strangling an injured fish dissector for more than a year. The fish dissector is not only ecstatic but has not died of lack of food, drink, or air this entire time. What gives? The beast is walled up in the hospital, so is this fort going to end with a tantrum spiral killing everyone but the dude in there, forever keeping the fort alive?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Webs pausing needs?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:22:16 pm »

You may have found a vampire.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:26:51 pm »

He isn't a vampire, DFhack says so. I do have a vampire in my fort, though. He arrived long after the beast did.

EDIT: Several wounded imps wrapped in webs have not suffocated as well, despite having severed spines. Yes, fire imps breathe, other imps have suffocated in this fort.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:30:55 pm by TheFlame52 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 03:37:13 pm »

I like the mental image of a REALLY EXCITED dwarf being strangled by a FB while wrapped in webs.

I'm sure someone will soon make a picture of this.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:41:59 pm »

I can understand this.
A few fortresses back, I had a cyclops that was rather busy strangling a dwarf. Had pages and pages of combat log reports telling of nothing except for the strangling message. Dwarf was ecstatic. I didn't have a military to kill the cyclops, and a few years later, the dwarf was still being strangled. But eventually, I created a marksdwarf squad and send them over to the cyclops the kill it. Well, as soon as the cyclops bit the dust, so did the dwarf that was being strangled.
I can easily imagine the same thing happening with a forgotten beast.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 03:47:47 pm »

Well, I guess that solves the fisherman, but what about all the other imps in my fort being paused by webs? I only used the one as an example.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 04:22:20 pm »

I killed the FB with a cave-in, as it was immobile and I wanted my hospital back. Will keep you guys posted on the fisherman's status. Also, there's an imp crawling around with torn upper spine.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 06:41:02 pm »

Autoerotic asphyxiation? Come on, I'm not the only one thinking it.

As to why they don't need to eat or drink, they are subsisting on LOVE
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 07:46:52 pm »

I know the answer:

Because Dwarf Fortress.

Seriously, isn't this the answer to half the inexplicable problems on here? It's like how my dwarves get cut by a single bolt and 10 years later they're still in hospital with "His hand is cut open"

Because Dwarf Fortress.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 08:25:38 pm »

The fisherdwarf is all healed, but he is no longer resting; however, he is still so exhausted that he's been unconscious for a half year.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 08:35:45 pm »

Rip van winkledwarf.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 02:21:52 am »

The fisherdwarf is all healed, but he is no longer resting; however, he is still so exhausted that he's been unconscious for a half year.
Hah! Maybe the other one died of too little sleep long term. I wouldn't put it past Toady to code in obscure insomnia-based death conditions or some such.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 07:12:42 am »

Well if dwarf is unable to have a nap for a long time he goes insane.
Still that's not deathcause on its own.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 02:23:23 pm »

Unfortunately, the fisherdwarf died from not being able to sleep because he was unconscious. Fortunately, the fort is almost dead, with corpses littering the hallways and a miserable ranger being the only working imp. The other imp in the fort is a vampire coming up on the end of his prison term.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 02:47:22 pm »

Unfortunately, the fisherdwarf died from not being able to sleep because he was unconscious.
DF in a nutshell.
Pages: [1] 2 3