Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Oslamkekath: Fortress of the Dammed  (Read 5141 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oslamkekath: Fortress of the Dammed
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 12:36:31 pm »

I like this. The colors are cool, the architecture such pleasure to the eye. All has reason. It's just that the bridge is... weird.

The tileset and color scheme are Grim Fortress (old version).

Also, I think the word you're looking for is "dwarfy".

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 12:40:59 pm »

20 Timber, 185:
A large dwarven caravan has arrived, and with it, a goblin siege!  It appears to be fifteen axegoblins, one bowgoblin, and a Voracious Cave Crawler.  They killed a migrant from the second year, and a child, both apparently out fetching water or fishing or something.  (Note to self: build cistern.)

Due to the fact that they're coming over the dam, through the traps, and that we have the support of a huge dwarven caravan, I've decided to call all soldiers to their stations and leave the gate open.

22 Timber:
They didn't even make it around the corner.  So many goblins were captured or wounded by stone-falls that they turned and fled.  Rakust and Obok were fast enough to kill a few of the stragglers, but some got away.  Results: 4 goblins + 1 VCC captured, 6 goblins including the leader killed, five goblins escaped the map.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 03:03:58 pm »

I just heard an apropos joke:

What does a fish say when it bumps into a wall?

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 11:00:09 pm »

joeclark77 cancels play Dwarf Fortress * seeking infant *

(wife just had a baby, but don't worry, the fort will be back on track sooner or later)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 11:23:59 am »

Spring, 186:
Windtundra has been recognized as a barony!  I, of course, am the Baron, and have justifiably demanded improved quarters.  Work continues on the lower levels of the dam.

23 Felsite, 186:
With the elf caravan came a particularly disastrous goblin ambush.  2 or 3 dwarves were killed, including one of our ace mechanics.  Also the elfs were killed.  By us.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 11:26:16 am »

(The date is rubbed out)

It's name means "Flushhopeful the Beautiful Ward".  Definitely I can work this into the dam's plumbing.

And now...

It chased a donkey (which just arrived following new migrants) for a while, then a human caravan guard shot a few arrows into it and it tried to flee.  Obok, the militia commander, finished it off without even a fight.  Kind of boring.

In other news, we are prepared to conquer the first cavern layer!

Two forgotten beasts have wandered into our furniture traps and been captured. (It is believed our other FB guests are in the other cavern layers, so this one should be clear.)  Since these FBs are made of meat (unlike certain others), we guided them into the FB traps that have archer turrets behind drawbridges.  These traps are set up to facilitate a web factory, but they will also allow archery practice on the FBs, and ultimately, the harvesting of their meat and tallow.

Archer squads 1 and 2 have been ordered into position.

The first FB was killed by Shorast, the commander of archers.  No surprise there!

The second was finally killed by Tosid R, a junior crossbowman in Shorast's squad.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 11:28:32 am »

6 Opal, 186:

I knew the peasants would start attacking soon enough.

In other news, I've been elevated to the rank of Count, and the major chamber of the first cavern has been stripped of its lumber.  A giant cave spider was spotted and we are hoping to trap it.

And then...

I now have three legendary tanners!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 12:58:22 pm »

22nd Granite, 187:

A new FB arrived in the second cavern, which we haven't opened yet.

In other news, a hunter tried to take on a Giant Cave Spider alone in the first cavern, and didn't survive.  Also, more levels of the dam are almost ready to write home about.  Stay tuned.

And just a day later, in cavern 1:

The cavern has been ordered closed, and the FB traps set.

1st Slate, 187:
Gusmul has been trapped successfully.  The cavern is still closed due to another GCS.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 12:59:11 pm »

26th Slate, 187:
Five years after striking the earth, the Windtundra Power Station is almost complete.  Three more levels of the dam have been completed, including the main power generating facilities.  From the top down (this is below the two levels you've already seen), here it is:

On this level, ten water-wheels can be seen.  Water flowing on the level below will turn these turbines.  There is plenty of room on this level for additional facilities, perhaps some luxury apartments.

The next level down includes a channel for water flow, as well as another ten water-wheels and assorted machinery.

On this level, all that can be seen at present is the lower water channel and drain.  One more level of the dam must be constructed, and floodgates built into the lower river, before it can be made operational.  Floodgates are being prepared for installation during next winter's ice season.

Of course, there will also be future constructions above the water line, and inside the dam, but the dam can be made operational before those are complete.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 10:03:40 am »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 10:05:11 am »

27th Sandstone, 187:
The bottom level of the dam is complete.  Now the river valley is completely walled off, except for the river itself.  We await the winter freeze, as it will be easier to install floodgates then.  In the spring, the reservoir will fill for the first time.

15th Moonstone, 187:
The river froze over today, and we are working rapidly to install the floodgates.

3rd Obisidian, 187:

... and I have been made a Duke!

The floodgates have been completed and hooked up to the master control levers.  One thing remains to be seen... which way is the river flowing?
We dwarves are not handy with water, and never thought to investigate this previously.  If the lower river flows the opposite direction we expected, it may complicate things.  (However, with enough water pressure, we may be able to use the "upstream" side as the drain anyway!)  Spring will come soon, and we'll find out.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 10:06:17 am »

15th Obsidian, 187:
The rivers thawed today.
And... we're under siege by goblins!

We count 104 invaders, about half goblins and half war-beasts.  Numerous Voracious Cave Crawlers, War Jabberers, and War Cave Dragons accompany the goblin army.  Only one elite crossbowman is with the invading force.  A goblin spearmaster and a master lasher are apparently the only other officers.

One group of hammergoblins with their beasts are attempting to cross the dam, while the others are coming up from the east.

Our expert sword squad waits in the depot for an attack.  The goblin squad on the dam has triggered all of our stone-fall traps but none have come closer to the gate than the unfortunate Cave Crawler pictured on the left side of this sketch:

Meanwhile, a couple of goblin squads are piling up outside the refuse pile, perhaps frightened by the visible traps between them and our gate, perhaps quailing at the sight of so many goblin corpses in the rubbish.

Finally advancing, the spearmaster and elite crossbowgoblin are caged.  Our confidence increases.

So we pull the lever, and it turns out our fancy brass drawbridge was accidentally built to RETRACT.
All depends on the swordsquad now, especially since our archers still haven't made it to their turrets.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2014, 06:28:16 pm »

25th Obsidian:
As goblins are still stalled on the advance, I ordered the creation of four squads of reservists, to grab any armor and weapons they like, and form up just inside the fortress as a last-ditch defense or a quick support for the swordsquad.

In other news, it is as I feared... the lower river is flowing north to south... INTO the intended reservoir.

26th Obsidian:
The goblin maceman Snamuz Smugaurar was the first to round the corner of doom, fiercely charging on the back of his trusty war jabberer Zolak.  Obok (the militia commander) rewarded him for his trouble by cutting off his left foot, right foot, and head, in that order.  The jabberer took a few hits from three swordsdwarves before it went down, but there were no casualties on our side.

28th Obsidian:
Although a half dozen marksdwarves have been stationed in their perch only a few meters away from valid targets for a week now, only today did one of them, Kumil U, begin firing on the stalled enemy.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2014, 06:28:48 pm »

1st Granite, 188:
One of the crossbowdwarves went into a martial trance during the carrying out of a "pickup equipment" order.  (I didn't know that could happen!)  He charged right into the middle of the trapway, dodged, rolled, and blocked away several goblin and jabberer attacks, and ran right into a Cave Dragon.  The dragon never wounded Bembul, but he was knocked over from the collision and flailed from behind by several goblins.  It was an interesting battle death.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2014, 06:29:34 pm »

7th Granite:
Most of the goblins stalled near the trapway were killed by our archers.  A group of goblins is still stalled on the dam top, and I've ordered the sword squad to sally forth and meet them in the open.  A group of cave dragons is still outside the fort to the north, but they aren't advancing and I don't think the sortie will cross their line of sight...

12 Granite:
A lot of things began happening at once.  The swordsquad engaged the mass of goblin hammermen and their jabberer mounts.  The jabberers were more trouble than the goblins.  One sworddwarf, Shorast Z, got there a little too fast (not as fast as Obok and Rakost, of course) and after killing a jabberer and cave crawler, lost hold of his sword when a goblin got a lucky hit on his right hand.  His right hand, lower arm, and right leg, were all broken and he's dragging himself off the battlefield.

At the same time, at the east end of the dam, swordsdwarf Amost L and marksdwarf Thikut E both charged the massed enemies for reasons no one will ever know.  This went badly for them, but it drew some more enemies including dragons into the line of fire of our archers.

As the battle rages on, almost all of our second-squad marksdwarves have been killed, one at a time, while running into the battle to pick up equipment.  In each case, they have typically fired off several good shots and cost the enemy lives before being killed, but still, it's getting ridiculous.  Now some of the swordsquad are making similar foolish charges.  Three of the original ten are dead.  The enemy is in a good position where our archers are shooting them, so I've decided to attempt a rout before I lose all of my best men.  All forty of the new militia recruits have been ordered to grab any weapon at hand, and charge into the massed enemies here, on "bloody hill".  Once they're in place, I'll order the remaining professional swordmasters to reinforce them.

We'll be eating dragon roasts tonight, boys!

Pages: 1 [2] 3