Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Oslamkekath: Fortress of the Dammed  (Read 5140 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oslamkekath: Fortress of the Dammed
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2014, 03:04:56 pm »

22 Granite:
In the end, 30 of 70 military dwarves were killed.
Eight goblins were captured, along with thirteen of their beasts.
We killed eight dragons, seventeen cave crawlers, ten jabberers, ten macegoblins including one legendary (who cost us many beards), twelve hammergoblins, and two axegoblins.  Their spearmaster and elite crossbowgoblin were captured, so the elite lasher must have escaped with some of his troops.

Now the burials begin...

7th Slate, 188:
The dwarves are taking the losses well.  They are busily burying the dead, taking care of the wounded, resetting traps, and gathering in the spoils.  Two of our important swordsdwarves are lying in the hospital with broken bones, hopefully to recover quickly.  A few dwarves are very upset, but none have thrown tantrums so far.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2014, 10:56:14 am »

15th Felsite, 188:
Another siege!  Still without a working drawbridge, we retreat within our walls and order the able-bodied to rally a defense.  This time they're coming from all corners of the map and have brought bowman... and a general!

27th Felsite:
We have holed up inside the fort and quickly placed floodgates in the entrance hallway to block the way.  Only one dwarf was lost, a child.  Shorast, our ace marksdwarf, was badly wounded by the goblin elite bowman when he tried to take some shots from the archery tower.  He's in the hospital now.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2014, 10:57:26 am »

She was quickly killed by a squad of goblin pikemen.

Not much trouble where he is!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2014, 10:59:19 am »

17th Galena:
We have rode out the siege, and a human caravan from Pesor Thran has arrived.  A small group of goblin bowmen, riding voracious cave crawlers, remains on our map, possibly stuck in a traffic jam.  We await the battle reports from the human merchants.

Sad news: Shorast K, our original marksdwarf leader, wearer of the artifact leather leggings Babinalbis, has succumbed to his wounds and died in the hospital.

Later that day...

The local goblins really aren't going to quit.  A third siege while the troops from the second siege haven't even left the field, and while caged prisoners from the first siege haven't even been removed from the traps!  Let's see how the human caravan deals with this.

So far, three squads have been sighted: hammergoblins, pikegoblins, and crossbowgoblins, with three trolls and no other beasts.

The human caravan first ploughed through a squad of five trolls, then moved on to the massed (traffic jammed) squad of goblin bowman.  The mounts (cave crawlers) slowed them down, and a squad of goblin pikemen attacked from behind.  More and more trolls arrived... there are now sixteen alive and five dead.  All human merchants were killed, and their guards.  They killed five goblins and five trolls.  Eight goblin crossbowmen have been caught in cage traps, otherwise the siege is unimpeded.  We are safe inside, and still haven't even opened our makeshift door since the end of the previous siege.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2014, 10:59:51 am »

18th Timber:
The siege has been called off, but numerous goblins and trolls remain in the space where they appeared to have a traffic jam.
A human diplomat -- their law-giver -- has been sighted from the ramparts, but we have not yet opened the doors.

[OOC: they are all sitting on a part of the hillside that's a couple levels below a constructed floor.  Why they can't find their way down the hill, I don't know.  Maybe the pathing algorithm is telling them to go uphill where the floor is.]

26th Moonstone: with no other options, I ordered the full military to attack the massed group of trolls, goblins, and mounts.  Six dwarves were lost.  As usual, most of the militiamen served the valuable purpose of distracting the enemies while Obok and Rakust slaughtered them one by one.  After a year of terror, we can finally open the doors and roam the countryside again.  (Why would we do that? For the treasure!)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 10:27:03 am »

15th Opal, 188:
As this horrid year draws to a close, our masons have completed a wall to block the "downstream" side of the lower river.  We shall force the "upstream" side of the river to serve as our drain.  And they said dwarves were no good around water!  Reversing the course of a river is all in a day's work for the engineers of Windtundra.  In a month, we shall see the reservoir finally start to fill up.

This is interesting...

Sadly, they killed Imush R.  He was one of the initial marksdwarves, but lost his leg in some long forgotten accident, and was a familiar sight around these halls.  He will be buried with honor.  They wounded a few others before our swordsquad made short work of them.

15th Obsidian, 188: At the end of our seventh year in this desert, the dam is operational, and the reservoir has begun to fill.  Time will tell how long it takes to fill completely... maybe a While.

... I wonder where he got the idea for the name!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 03:04:53 pm »

15th Galena:
A large human caravan is on its way to our gates, when...

Will it suffer the fate of last year's caravan?  We hope not.

In the first action, a group of human caravan guards is attacked by a squad of trolls.  A maceman and spearman make short work of the first two trolls, then the humans charge!

Two trolls went down, and the rest fled!

The humans mostly got to the depot... only a few were killed in the field.  The goblins took heavy losses coming up the trapway.  (None of the invaders from the west have made it over the dam yet.)  Now a group of macegoblins has arrived at our doorstep and killed the guard dog.  When they round the bend, they won't know what hit them.  Our swordmasters, human caravan guards, and a war grizzly bear await them!

I expected more from the bear...

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 12:30:11 am »

By the time we got our soldiers in and closed the main gate, the death toll is at:
1 human law-giver
7 human guards, including one "named"
4 merchants, a wagon, 3 pack animals
6 trolls
21 goblins (7 spears, 11 maces, 2 swords, 1 hammer)

For prisoners, we've taken 3 trolls and 20 goblins (7 hammers, 7 spears, 2 maces, 1 elite crossbow, 1 axelord, 1 macelord, 1 master lasher).
Still in the field: 2 trolls, 21 hammergoblins.  Most are stalled on the dam, trying to cross from the west.  Archers have been ordered to the perch above the dam, which we haven't had a chance to use yet.

Archers killed about half of the goblins on the bridge, then we sallied forth to drive off the remaining few.  Unfortunately Obok, our great commander, was hammered in the spine on the bridge.  He died as he lived, in battle.  Rakust has been made militia commander.  Obok is the only one of our starting seven to have died at Windtundra.  In his honor, the rapidly-filling reservoir is now named Lake Obok.

The siege is broken, and cleanup begins:

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 12:22:31 pm »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2014, 12:23:02 pm »

2 Hematite, 190:
A year and a half before it began filling, the reservoir has reached its highest level.  Lake Obok is now open for fishing, boating, and all other dwarven entertainments.  I, Duke Reg, am now deciding which lever to pull first.  Shall I fire up the turbines to see how much power we can generate?  Should I open the lower floodgates and force the river to flow backwards and uphill to its source?

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2014, 12:24:27 pm »

oops
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:55:27 pm by joeclark77 »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2014, 05:11:57 pm »

I've basically abandoned this game due to low FPS, but before deleting it I just had to open the floodgate and power the turbines to see what it would do.
All I can say is, I love how water pressure works in this game!

My small set of turbines is producing 2000 units of power.  Note that they only take up a part of the space on two floors.  I could easily have designed a dam to produce 10000 or more in this space.
Pages: 1 2 [3]