Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oh help and bother. Hubris has a date, and he's terrified.  (Read 9227 times)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, guys. So, last week my friend, who I haven't seen in a few months, texts me out of the blue, and says he's found a girl he'd like me to meet, and yesterday, after much thought and deliberation, I agreed to meet her. We've now set the date and time, and I'm frightened out of my wits, because, as some of you may know, I've never dated before, and in fact, never had the nerve to ask a girl to dance at a wedding, let alone ask her on a date. I was just hoping for some advice and encouragement from my internet family.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Oh help and bother. Hubris has a date, and he's terrified.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 07:55:26 am »

Do you best not to bleed on her. If you must, try to bleed on her in an endearing fashion.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 08:52:04 am »

Basically the way to talk to potential romantic partners is to just be yourself, or more accurately a more confident version of yourself. Pretty much just act like you normally would with another person but psyche yourself up about it.

Just remember that this girl wants to meet you. She wants to meet you and she wants to have fun with you and all you have to do is be willing to have fun back.

So try and be less terrified is just about all I'm saying :P

Oh and this:
Do you best not to bleed on her. If you must, try to bleed on her in an endearing fashion.
Is going right in my sig where it belongs
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 10:17:27 am »

Be open and honest. People talk about "confidence" but there's a particular type of confidence that's really needed: If you must be nervous, don't be afraid to tell her you're nervous. Don't be afraid to tell her you're afraid. Holding back is what causes problems and pushes people away.

And of course there's the generic advice of being yourself and whatnot. Let her get to know you. The real you. Maybe she'll like you, maybe she won't, but her not liking you > her liking some facade you put up in her presence.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 05:56:05 pm »

I was just hoping for some advice

Don't: do a movie. The purpose of a date is to spend time with someone and get to know them. Not to ignore them and pay attention to something else.

Don't: make eating the focal point of the date. Lots of girls are concerned about their weight. Especially on a date. Eating is a stressful thing. Don't put a girl in the position of putting on a tight outfit to impress you, then making her choose between eating and being uncomfortable, or ordering a salad and being hungry.

Don't: show up with flowers/chocolates/etc. You're trying to date the girl, not bribe her.

Do: do something original. "Dinner and a movie" is as completely generic an boring and unmemorable as you can possibly get. Don't show a girl that your'e boring and unmemorable.

Do: do something that you personally enjoy. If you have fun, you will be showing a girl what you're like when you're fun, and it will be much easier for her to enjoy herself than if you try to impress her with something you don't enjoy.

Do: do something scary or thrilling. Skydiving, ferris wheel, rock climbing, speedboating, riding on the back of your motorcycle, whatever. The human mind finds events that invoke a fight or flight response or fear of possible death, memorable. Do you remember what you had for breakfast two day ago? Probably not. Do you remember the time you almost died, or that one time you went skiing down a mountain 10 years ago? I bet you do. So then why would you take a girl to do something like eat...when you know that's not going to be very memorable? If you want a girl to still be thinking about you days later, then do something that her brain will find easy to remember.

Do: do multiple things. A date where you spend 10 minutes riding a ferris wheel, 30 minutes ice skating, 5 minutes eating ice cream and 10 minutes walking on the beach is way more memorable and interesting than a date spent doing any one of those things for an hour.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 07:43:44 pm »

I was just hoping for some advice
Don't: make eating the focal point of the date. Lots of girls are concerned about their weight. Especially on a date. Eating is a stressful thing. Don't put a girl in the position of putting on a tight outfit to impress you, then making her choose between eating and being uncomfortable, or ordering a salad and being hungry.

Eh... It's a bit late for that, now. My friend who is organising this thing (and is driving her from the neighboring town where she lives (neither of us drives, apparently)) already picked a restaurant where we will meet, and, in all likelihood, eat.

The day and time are set (Milestones THURSDAY @8 PST), so, basically all I have to do is prep. And make sure I get there on time, which is always a good thing.

E: OOPS. I MEANT THURSDAY. BLOODY HECK.

Can't have people thinking it's on tonight.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:50:44 pm by Hubris Incalculable »
channel = #bay12lb

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 07:46:25 pm »

Don't have anything helpful to say, but good luck and have fun! :)
No need to be terrified. Or so I'm told. I'm not really sure.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 07:51:50 pm »

Don't have anything helpful to say, but good luck and have fun! :)
No need to be terrified. Or so I'm told. I'm not really sure.

Thanks mate.

Also, I edited the above post to fix a misleading omission.
channel = #bay12lb

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 02:18:06 am »

snip

How about

Don't: approach a human being as a pop psychology focus test :P

Indeed, I do this.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 02:20:07 am »

Have fun.
That's pretty much the point of it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 03:56:26 am »

Do: do something original. "Dinner and a movie" is as completely generic an boring and unmemorable as you can possibly get. Don't show a girl that your'e boring and unmemorable.
I'd advise against setting the bar high from the get go, it'll make subsequent "normal" dates seem inadequate and there's only so many original date ideas a man can come up with. In fact, I'd save the "big guns" (skydiving etc) for later.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 09:08:55 am »

I'd advise against setting the bar high from the get go, it'll make subsequent "normal" dates seem inadequate and there's only so many original date ideas a man can come up with. In fact, I'd save the "big guns" (skydiving etc) for later.

Skydiving is a "big gun date"? I thought that was reserved for ritualized murder?

Indeed, I do this.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 09:13:07 am »

Ritualised murder is also best reserved for the second date.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 12:15:45 pm »

Ritualised murder is also best reserved for the second date.
Third date. Shi'poopies get you more mana.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 08:45:37 pm »

Also in all sorts: Do remember you're talking to a person, regardless of gender.  :v
Sentimentalities, for one.
Like this, for example.
First sentence? Ok.
Second sentence? A spawn of modern advertising and 'omg you shouldn't do this because [reasons]'
Third sentence? Back to Ok.

The advice should be to operate on how you know that person: its all in what you put into that activity rather than the idea of the activity itself. There is no surefire way to do these things other than:
> Do it with all you can, and do not rely on stereotypes or whatever to know a person
> Know a person and understand em when it comes to these scenarios. Specifically, dating.
> Be open. Open minded...and all that.
Pages: [1] 2