Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Endless Legend  (Read 19312 times)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Endless Legend
« on: May 10, 2014, 09:13:10 am »

http://g2g.amplitude-studios.com/Games/Endless-Legend

If name happens you remind you something, then you might have guessed that its fantasy(well kind of. Its set in same universe so its not really "magic") spin off of scifi 4x known as Endless Space. Its basically kinda like Master of Magic to Master of Orion I guess.

I was considering posting about this on Endless Space thread, but last post in that thread is over year ago <_<

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Legend
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 10:54:31 am »

Yeah, it should have a separate topic.  The Amplitude people have basically said that they're done fiddling with Endless Space.

Aside from the brace of announcement-repeaters last summer when the was declared, and again when they got on Early Access a few weeks ago, I've only seen one article of any depth; over at SpaceSector.  There's also a nice stack of screenshots @ SS, more than what's on the Early Access page @ Steam.

As for the game itself...  The art direction looks nice, but I don't see anything that truly stands out yet.  The UI is about what you'd expect from a modern strategy title.  It seems that the 3-card combat system from ES got recycled; whether that's just a placeholder for alpha or part of the final design, who knows.  Time will tell.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 11:11:22 am »

As for the game itself...  The art direction looks nice, but I don't see anything that truly stands out yet.
Isn't that what doomed Endless Space?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 11:57:56 am »

Isn't that what doomed Endless Space?

I think the thing that doomed ES more than anything was the fundamentally broken tech trees, with an honourable mention for the forced load of the combat screen to run away or autofight in earlier versions.

Personally, I don't need the art style to be its own unique little snowflake...  it just needs to work with the other parts.  My best example of doing it wrong is Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery EP.  They made a light adventure game, but skinned it with a pixellated "LOL, RETRO" style that just gets under my skin.  (also criminally short for the asking price @ release... 900-number phone sex would've been cheaper)

But, as I said.... time will tell.  It's barely an alpha at this point.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 12:38:18 pm »

Still, for pre-alpha game its surprisingly playable and stable. AI is currently horrible, but otherwise it could almost(with emphasis, its still obviously very unfinished game) for a complete indie game or something.

I don't know much about Endless Space's success or lack of it since I only found about it while ago. I love Master of Orion so it was something I had to get. And I was curious about the "Community votes features" aspect...

I gotta admit that I'm little disappointed by that since it seems devs aren't really that professional when it comes making polls <_< I took part in on going faction creation contest for Endless Legend, but since poll is one huge 99 choice poll were only three with most votes are selected for next vote... Yeah. I had unlucky of being number 41 so my entry is largely unnoticed. I was planning on marketing my idea to raise people's awareness of it, but as it turns out, I find that to be too scary to do...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 06:09:10 pm »

I don't have a lot of faith in this.  They never bothered to get multiplayer working well in endless space.  Desync's and corrupted save files galore.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 07:40:42 pm »

I'm very excited - I personally loved Endless Space and I'm not sure where all the negativity towards it came from (other than the forced loading mentioned before).
As far as multiplayer, these games are pretty much geared towards single player, and so I don't blame them for not trying too hard with the multiplayer although the one time I did do it it worked out ok. They listened very hard to the user base and even had the games2gether thing for deciding on future improvements which seemed nice. The art style is functional and pretty good compared to most 4x games, and the races/factions at least moderately believable/interesting.

Overall, I've got great faith in them, and I'm convinced they'll do something good with it although nothing they've really said has made me think it's completely revolutionary.

PTW

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 02:02:51 am »

Is anyone playing it? How is it?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 01:50:02 pm »

I'm playing it, and I like it, but it's pretty unfinished (AI and a lot of things are not done yet).
The visual style is as nice as ES one, the world is more interesting.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 02:12:24 pm »

I'm sorta sad that they updated a lot in Endless Space, then quit, after all the large mods were put on hiatus for not wanting to change anything, as apparently the structure that enables modding can be very finnicky when it comes to changes, being in .xml.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 02:28:16 pm »

I'm sorta sad that they updated a lot in Endless Space, then quit, after all the large mods were put on hiatus for not wanting to change anything, as apparently the structure that enables modding can be very finnicky when it comes to changes, being in .xml.

As much as I loved Endless Space, I think they kinda got everything they could out of it, there wasn't much more that I could think of that would have been a major improvement without something really drastic which would have taken a lot of work.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 03:37:51 am »

Endless Legend is out now.

I've been playing it in Early Access for a while. I think it has nice atmosphere and several interesting mechanics, but the diplomacy is bland. It is weird they didn't do anything about it, since it was bland in Endless Space too. I guess that is my number one issue. The other is that the initial location you spawn in matters too much, especially with a couple of factions. For example, with the Necrophages, if you start in a food rich enviroment, you will rock. If you start in wastelands, you will suck. This is especially true for AI that can't adapt the way human player can. Not to even mention enviroment-specific bonuses some factions have. Yay, my people fare well in deserts, but we start in icy wasteland...

I hope the creators fix these issues. In addition, I'd really like there to be random events and such, now the game is a little too predictive. Buying generic heroes from a hero market is likewise bland and boring; heroes should appear through events or something. Now they lack personality completely, as they don't even have unique abilities.

Despite these complaints, I think Endless Legend is the best fantasy strategy of those that have come out recently (Warlock II, Age of Wonders III, some niche games like Eador). There are interesting, unique things like the cycle of winters that keep getting longer and worse (Game of Thrones mod anyone?) as the game progresses. All factions have some unique tweaks which make their strategies subtly different.

If you have an itch for fantasy 4X, I recommed EL verry muchos. 

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 04:47:49 am »

Official word from Amplitude was that they put off updating Endless Space so they could focus on Legend and DotE, and that they wanted to do at least one semi-big update for Endless Space after Legend was fully released. The real question is whether or not they are going to follow through with it.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 06:28:05 am »

some niche games like Eador

I kind of put that in a different category. As I wouldn't compare Heroes of Might and Magic with Master of Magic.

Though yeah Warlock 2 stunk! (SORT OF... though yeah).

But Given I havn't played Age of Wonders 3...

This is so far not very high praise.

By the way is the endless of "Endless Legend" mean anything? or did they just add endless?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 07:11:52 am »

I actually liked Warlock 2, just...not enough.

Endless points to the species in the Endless Space, transcended ancients who destroyed each other in a civil war between those who uploaded themselves into computers and those who perfected their physical bodies. They left behind nanostuff called Dust, which is the currency in the game, explaining how you can use it to finish building something instantly. (Just throw more nanostuff at it.)

Endless Legend takes place in the same universe, before the Endless Space. Humans crashlanded on the planet at some point and split into various factions, plus been mutated by Dust. Then there are left a few constructs of the Endless who are brainwashing people to worship them (the Cult of Eternal Ending), parasitic xenomorph-style indigineous aliens (who I take are the ancestors of the space locusts in Endless Space), dead human survivors with their minds immersed in their space suits and...umm... dragons. Dragons supposedly being former servants of the Endless.

The "magic" in the game is basically learning how to use technology left behind the Endless or manipulating Dust to do nanostuff. Heroes are people who have been immersed in raw Dust and instead of being disassembled (what happens to most people exposed), the Dust has integrated in their bodies on a cellular level, making them nearly immortal superheroes. (If their bodies are destroyed, Dust eventually reassembles them again.) 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:13:54 am by Majestic7 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6