Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Endless Legend  (Read 19330 times)

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
Re: Endless Legend
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2014, 03:02:43 am »

Just picked this game up on the turkey sale on steam, been eying it (and endless space) since they came out.
Can't wait to play :D

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2014, 04:40:19 am »

turkey sale?

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2014, 05:26:27 am »

Just wanted to chime in to say I've been playing it quite a bit over the last few days and have to say it's probably my favourite non-space 4x - it's really, really good.

It's pretty much taken all the best bits from other 4x games and mixed it with some rather enjoyable RPG elements. As others have said, the different races are very, very different (and enjoyable), so it has a ton of re-playability, and being made as a pure single-player game it works well.

The only cons are that the turn based combat is a bit so-so, there's not a great deal to do with it, and I've found that the auto battle consistently makes you lose where you'd have easily won had you done it manually. The AI is admittedly quite weak, but with 4x's it's always easy to stack the game against your favour if you're in need of a challenge.

I was always a fan of endless space, but it did have it's downsides - this seems to have cleared most of those away and come out with something pretty lean and very cool.

10/10 - must buy.

I'll take your word for it, I'll pick it up right now then :)
I've been after a good fantasy 4x that isn't FFH2 (played that to death). Age of Wonders 3 was really fucking good, but after a while it got painfully obvious that all the races were just carbon copies of eachother. Only thing that was putting me off was that I got really disappointed with endless space and the obviously ridiculously cheating fleet-spawning AI.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2014, 09:51:45 am »

turkey sale?

American Thanksgiving holiday.  Steam has not started selling turkeys; if they have any at all, Gaben has reserved them for his personal consumption.

-----

I really would like to sink my teeth into this game, but alas, my frankenbox is only a dual core...  :(
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2014, 08:56:19 am »

Been playing it on and off now since I bought it yesterday and it has promise but there is something missing. It feels... clinical. I don't know how to describe it, it just lacks something. Mechanically it works, the UI is easy to get into but lacks some depth in my opinion for a 4x. It also feels like nothing really ever happens, I have met and talked to two ai players so far and all we did was introduce ourselves. There are no "barbarians" and nothing dangerous in the world.

I don't know, I don't see myself playing this for long after I finish my first game. It's good, but it's once again, nothing special.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2014, 09:25:18 am »

Huh. Although I agree after playing this some more there's some vague feeling of stuff missing in some places, there certainly are barbarians. The little villages (of which there are 1-3 or so in each zone) occasionally spawn in a stack of of their units who wander around attacking your armies and cities.

The AI seems to like to burn them down pretty quickly though. I guess it's possible that you got lucky and they killed all the villages really quickly or something.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2014, 11:01:49 am »

Been playing it on and off now since I bought it yesterday and it has promise but there is something missing. It feels... clinical. I don't know how to describe it, it just lacks something. Mechanically it works, the UI is easy to get into but lacks some depth in my opinion for a 4x. It also feels like nothing really ever happens, I have met and talked to two ai players so far and all we did was introduce ourselves. There are no "barbarians" and nothing dangerous in the world.

I don't know, I don't see myself playing this for long after I finish my first game. It's good, but it's once again, nothing special.

That definitely hasn't been my experience. I've had a few nasty encounters with barbarians which were actually able to take out my heroes (early on) and siege cities. Make sure you put it on the hardest setting though/balance things against yourself, as otherwise it's pretty easy.

The one thing I hate is how bad the outcome for auto-resolving conflict is compared to doing it yourself. In absolutely all the battles where the odds have been relatively in my favour, I've been able to do it without a single loss, whilst auto-resolve has had me lose at least 1 or two units every time. Even against really easy foes you seem to lose one or two units randomly.
This has actually made me stop playing it a bit/only in short bursts, as it becomes such a grind to go through all the barbarians/low level armies when I have to do even the easiest battle manually or risk needlessly losing units. This does seem to be somewhat reduced if you're using a melee based army - I think it just positions (or whatever it does) your ranged units badly, which ends up with them getting mulched by melee units.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2014, 11:05:07 am »

Yeah. I've had some odd experience as well. Sometimes in a manual battle the enemy will just rush at one of my units continuously no matter what and I'll lose that unit, and all my other units are unharmed, but auto battling makes it so that all my units take a bit of damage each but none of them die.

It's just odd sometimes...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2014, 12:04:34 pm »

Yeah, combat has been the shortcoming of the Endless games so far. To be honest, that's been true for most 4X's I've played that try to add a combat layer. Auto-resolving usually works if you don't have customisation. GalCiv II did this OKish, though it wasn't amazing. I think the combat system in Endless Legend has potential, but if you're fighting a lot the game will grind the game to a halt. Again, a problem most 4Xs have, including the MOOs.

Either way, when you setup a new game you can make combat animations faster! It's in one of the advanced settings pages, and has a weird name. I'd still like to generally make things flow faster, in and out of combat. It looks good, but it's interfering with my ability to speed past the uninteresting parts, and that's something that gets on my nerves.

I also had an easy run in my first game, but I was really taken in. I usually get drawn in by gameplay, but dayum the music and look on this game... it felt so peaceful and amazing! To be fair, I really needed to relax, and I got that from playing this on easy. I just decided to restart in a size 4 world for 6 players, so space is going to be at a premium, and a level above normal. We'll see what happens.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2014, 01:39:21 pm »

I'm always wondering how the hell all modern fantasy 4X-es manage to screw up combat, if the first fantasy 4X that I know - Master of Magic - did a very good job on that. The combat space is just big enough for maneuvering, the combat itself is fast, the combat magic feel powerful...
._.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2014, 02:48:31 pm »

I don't think the fighting itself is actually that bad - especially being able to customize your own army so much (which is really awesome!) - it's just that it's so tedious to have to fight through every single battle or risk losing units.

Although I've tried just taking the hit with auto-combat - which is actually ok as the game really isn't that challenging - but it just feels so insulting to constantly lose troops when you could easily win it manually. When the battles are important/difficult I find the combat quite acceptable though.

I agree with how beautiful and peaceful the game is - I felt exactly the same with HOMM4, it's probably the worst entry in the series, but it's just so peaceful somehow.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2014, 05:38:42 pm »

So, how is this compared to Fallen Enchantress and other similar games? I couldn't pick it up this month (or any other game during the current sale), don't have the funds. But it looks really nice. Think I might pick it up during the Winter sales if I can.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2014, 08:58:43 am »

I found Elemental and all its reboots utterly boring, while I've had the interest and energy to play Endless Legend. It is not the new Master of Magic, but it is pretty good and the different factions are actually different instead of being bland like in Elemental/Fallen Enchantress.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2014, 11:14:17 am »

But does it have the world-changing uber magic?

I absolutely loved the world-shaping abilities Master of Magic gave to the player with spells like Armageddon and Meteor Showers and stuff.
._.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2014, 12:05:31 pm »

As Majestic7 says, it's definitely different from Master of Magic, but it's very enjoyable in a different way. The main thing is the difference of the factions - they all play completely differently, and have different strengths and weaknesses that are much more pronounced than in most games. Similarly, it has a lot of RPG elements in it (customising heroes with skilltree, customizable equipment, loot) and quite in depth city building.

No world changing magic as such, but the world is quite dynamic. This is mainly in the 'winter' mechanic which basically makes everything harder for a set number of turns each year. This extends over time, so eventually you get very harsh winters that last for a long time - eventually becoming endless. However, some races can deal with this better than others, leading to quite interesting  late game scenarios which do help mitigate the end game grind. Things can dramatically change if you were a summer-based race playing against a winter-based race, as suddenly you realise that you don't have quite the strength you thought you did.

Very interesting, but be wary of the early game combat grind.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6