Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Endless Legend  (Read 19297 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Legend
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2018, 09:17:04 am »

Really though, an endless legend is just a leg.
This joke has no leg to stand on!
     I always thought a legend was a foot.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2018, 12:39:40 pm »

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like Endless Legend. Disinstalled it after 11 hours.

It's not a bad game. Far from it.
It looks very pretty but, for me, it tries to do too many things. It feels like a bunch of half-finished games put together to provide an artificial feeling of depth and complexity.

It's a 4x with quests, basic RPG elements, a rudimentary city builder and very basic tactical combat.
These single parts of the game are mediocre at best. Put together, they make a mildly entertaining 4x game.
To me, the result has been a very bland and uninspired game.

Did you play before or after some of the (later) DLCs?

Those were exactly my thoughts on the base game and I was amazed at how much it had changed. All the systems were there previously, but they didn't really work together.
I thought Tempest especially added a lot, but all of them combined stopped it being bland. The other thing is the different factions, I thought some were pretty rubbish, whilst others were great fun - I can imagine trying out 2-3 factions and thinking it wasn't great just because they didn't fit your playstyle.

I still wouldn't say it's the best 4x ever, but it's certainly very entertaining now in my opinion.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2018, 03:58:59 pm »

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like Endless Legend. Disinstalled it after 11 hours.

It's not a bad game. Far from it.
It looks very pretty but, for me, it tries to do too many things. It feels like a bunch of half-finished games put together to provide an artificial feeling of depth and complexity.

It's a 4x with quests, basic RPG elements, a rudimentary city builder and very basic tactical combat.
These single parts of the game are mediocre at best. Put together, they make a mildly entertaining 4x game.
To me, the result has been a very bland and uninspired game.

Did you play before or after some of the (later) DLCs?

Those were exactly my thoughts on the base game and I was amazed at how much it had changed. All the systems were there previously, but they didn't really work together.
I thought Tempest especially added a lot, but all of them combined stopped it being bland. The other thing is the different factions, I thought some were pretty rubbish, whilst others were great fun - I can imagine trying out 2-3 factions and thinking it wasn't great just because they didn't fit your playstyle.

I still wouldn't say it's the best 4x ever, but it's certainly very entertaining now in my opinion.

There's a bunch of DLC in my library, including guardians, shadows and shifters. But not tempest. I think I bought a bundle on some sale in the past.
I have a weird feeling for this game.
I realize it's very polished and quite unique in the 4x genre. Right from the description I thought "this looks like something I could play for hundreds of hours".

But then it just didn't click. I will give it another try at some point. Like you said, maybe I picked the wrong faction. I don't remember wich one. They have human (or maybe elven) archers in their units.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2018, 04:18:46 pm »

There's a bunch of DLC in my library, including guardians, shadows and shifters. But not tempest. I think I bought a bundle on some sale in the past.
I have a weird feeling for this game.
I realize it's very polished and quite unique in the 4x genre. Right from the description I thought "this looks like something I could play for hundreds of hours".

But then it just didn't click. I will give it another try at some point. Like you said, maybe I picked the wrong faction. I don't remember wich one. They have human (or maybe elven) archers in their units.

Tempest was one of the bigger DLCs and there were a ton of free updates around then.

The faction you were playing would probably be either the Vaulters or Wild Walkers - they're by far the most standard of all the factions - nothing wrong with them, but they're basically just stereotypical 'humans'.

I'm not saying you'll love it, but I went from feeling exactly the same as you to putting in a good 50 hours or so after the Tempest update so it might be worth dipping back in when you get time.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]