Sweden
- 0 (0%)
Switzerland
- 0 (0%)
United Kingdom
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Eurovision 2019 netherland is coldplay  (Read 29914 times)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eurovision 2016: Glory glory UKRAINE! Aussies and Ruskies vanquished!
« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2016, 05:56:51 pm »

I wish Eurovision would have released the total votes each song got by the televoters. could be interesting to see how it would have changed the rankings, considering countries like San Marino that gets equal weight despite contributing probably less than 1% of Germany's total votes.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2016, 07:43:55 pm »

I don't think that's how it works. There is a rather large history of previous Eurovision winners being largely defined not by their songs, but by the "message" that making them the winner sends to the "world".
How I missed this?

The whole idea of any good song is a message to listeners. Good songs try to provoke emotions and thoughts. If song fails to do that than it is a forgettable combination of sounds.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2016, 09:19:38 pm »

Good songs try to provoke emotions and thoughts. If song fails to do that than it is a forgettable combination of sounds.
Clearly you are missing out, dude.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 16, 2016, 03:19:21 am »

The only song i'll remember from this Eurovision is Bulgaria's, which also should have won in my opinion. i already forgot all of the other songs except Israel's and France's but next week those will get forgoten as well.

Overall it was an extremely weak Eurovision.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #244 on: May 11, 2017, 06:19:09 am »

HOW EXCITED ARE YOU WE ARE SUPER EXCITED DEFINITELY TOO EXCITED FOR GRAMMAR. - British Newspaper, announcing Eurovision 2017

UK, Italy, Spain, Germany and France are automatically through to the finals, although the UK is to hold a telereferendum on voting to leave Eurovision, with France demanding voting reform or else they'll go on singer's strike. Russia pulled out last month and will not be singing this year, after learning they weren't allowed to annex the stage. Australia is pleased that 2 years in, no one has noticed their brilliant infiltration scheme. Moldova, Azerbaijan, Greece, Sweden, Portugal, Poland, Armenia, Cyprus and Belgium won through the first semi-finals, with the full list of contestants to be revealed upon the conclusion of tonight's second semi-finals!

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Eurovision 2017 git hype
« Reply #245 on: May 11, 2017, 07:14:00 am »

Now that Russia is out of the contest due to Yugoslav-tier petty nationalist bickering, the big question arises - who will vote for whom in the former USSR?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2017, 07:46:31 am »

Now that Russia is out of the contest due to Yugoslav-tier petty nationalist bickering, the big question arises - who will vote for whom in the former USSR?

Could it be that for once people will just pick the song they liked and vote for that?

Nah, that'd be stupid; who would miss out on an opportunity to bicker on international level.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2017, 07:54:04 am »

I was thinking of sitting this year out, frankly. It seems more like a gap-year, with all the Ukranian-Russian blocking and counter-blocking in the air. Still, I decided to see the first semi-finals, and it is certainly amusing. It will do.

I still cannot believe that Man In Suit, On Treadmill lasted into the finals. It is a perfectly servicable, sensible little bit of pop, but that is about it, really. Still, fingers crossed, for the glory of the fatherland.

Brief description of the highlights: Moldova attempting to tap into the old well of Numa Numa magic, with reasonable success. Also features Epic Sax Guy, Esq., which is a pleasant reunion. Azerbaijan provides a pleasant whiff of emo from the past, though the haze of dementia and horse masks. Meanwhile, Australia soldiers on, simply happy to be there, in the shape of what appears to be Birkan Tore's younger brother in hastily blackened clown shoes. They make a strangely natural edition to the festivities, geographical location be damned. Did not pass, I fear. Neither did Finland, despite a lovely, mellow sing-song, featuring a grand piano filled with liquid nitrogen.

Belgium, meanwhile, abandoned a 17 year old girl to fend for herself on stage. I do not know if the song is supposed to be sung as if the singer is one moment away from breaking down in tears, but it is rather memorable for it, I must say. Greece decided to spice up their number (singing woman, salmon pink dress) with two beautiful men in breeches pretending to do their laundry. Luckily, Portugal were on hand to diminish the confusion by putting the audience to sleep, with their usual contribution of slow latin meander.

Also, Poland. Evidently, someone have stolen her top from the wardrobe, and she had to lash her breasts down with the help of a towel. She did a remarkable performance in spite of this, mind. Montenegro decided to make a mark by sending in a very balletic gentleman with a gigantic pony-tail. I imagined he has repeated the performance many times before; that thing could take your leg off.

Sweden sent the afore-mentioned Man with Suit, treadmill and back-up quartet. As I have said, there is an odd sense of in-offensive efficiency about it, but I cannot say that it is the candidate I would have liked to see. Still. It could be worse. Such as whatever it was that possessed the Latvians to select their performance. It is a monument to tackyness, with a vague rave motif that reminds of a mid-nineties high-school party. I do not know what happened, but I imagine that there was a terrible fire in their wardrobe at some point, and while they were desperately making new sets and costumes, the power went out, and they had to do so in pitch darkness. I also imagine that the glue and paint went to their head at some point during those trials.

Oooh, it will be very amusing, seeing the next batch tonight!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2017, 08:29:26 am »

Could it be that for once people will just pick the song they liked and vote for that?
Nice joke comrade

@Silverthrone your commentary is amazing

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2017, 09:54:38 am »

Honestly, I was pretty disappointed by the first semifinal. iirc Sweden's was good and there was another moderately OK one and then the rest were pretty lame. Silverthrone's summary kind of sums it up - there were lots of unique acts but they weren't unique in an artistically pleasing way. Also, most of the songs were boring/tuneless/annoying.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2017, 11:17:25 am »

[thefunk@archenstein .df]$ git hype
git: 'hype' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
        grep
[thefunk@archenstein]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2017, 06:20:29 am »

[thefunk@archenstein .df]$ git hype
git: 'hype' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
        grep
[thefunk@archenstein]
sorry I don't speak italian

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 13, 2017, 08:41:44 am »

Right, the finals is due in a few hours. Rather exciting.

Some of the more noteworthy performances from Thursday's Round Two.

Serbia.
While eager and able, one gets the impression that a mistake has been made somewhere, and the performance turned into an advert for some brand of mineral water. A sponsorship deal, perhaps. It would appear that it quite en vogue this year with beautiful men in breeches appearing on stage. Perhaps one of Greece's men got loose.

Austria.
A man, singing a song, perched on a glittering polystyrene crescent moon, bathing in a sea of stage smoke. Lovely stage-work, shame about the song. It is rather banal, it never quite gets airborne, and the smoke cannot hide that for long. Surely?

Macedonia.
A lovely, cosmopolitan little party song. Not enough on its own to move further, I fear, but we are all the richer for having made acquaintance with it.
Referring to my notes, it also says 'Sexy', underscored three times, followed by 'the best kind of'. I stand by that, were there a special award for attractive performance, this matter would be settled.

Malta.
Once more unto the breach for Malta. It is basic, it is smart. A lovely woman with a pleasant voice singing something soft and melodic. About the only bell-and-whistle is the background screen, with fleeting portraits of the singer mixed with equally fleeting portraits of what seems to be an angel's busom.

Hungary.
A delightful gypsy folk song performance. Something different, with rap, fiddle and belly dancing, oh, my. Rather reminded me of The Hunchback of Notre Dame (hopefully with a marked absence of Frollo). It is my favourite of this round, without a doubt. I am glad that someone got the 'celebrate diversity' memo in time, and remembered to put something of their culture front and centre.

The Netherlands.
Three sisters, singing a song and doing it very well. They wear different variants of black, glittery stage dress, which does make me think they must have raided Eddie Monsoon's wardrobe on the way. They have a good presence on stage, and an excellent chemistry between them. Reliable little performance, all things told.

Croatia.
A fat man with a fantastic voice enters the stage. He has endeavoured to sing for two, and does so well. It is odd, but it is a fairly remarkable one-man act. The stage also features the most rainbows of the year.

Romania.
The Romanians managed to pay the entry fee this year, although I fear that the expense is reflected in their Spartan wardrobe. Still, they are here, and will yodel the night away in happiness and joy, backed by their background screen served hot from Clipart.
Despite these budget constraints, they do a rather good job of it. It is an oddity, and a fun one at that.

Bulgaria.
Another youngster abandoned before the microphone. He is, however, a very gifted and able performer, and really takes command of the stage. Even if this Eurovision business does not work out, I do believe that he can look forward to a promising career in music.

Denmark.
Denmark goes back to the very basics, with a pleasant little pop song, performed very well indeed by the most Danish woman by mortal born. Her voice is excellent, but it is, sadly, a rather mediocre song that it is put to work with.

Ireland.
Well. Castrate Harry Potter, basically. Young boy, aboard an air balloon wreathed in smoke. Not a poorly done performance at any stretch of the word, but it is awfully soft and high in pitch. It simply gives the impression that a mistake has been made, and that somewhere, an adult pop-singer has been cast in the Children's Eurovision Song Contest.

Belarus.
White. Dazzling, blinding white, like the sun over the frozen steppe. Their clothes are white, the stage smoke is white, the plywood hovercraft that they are perched on is white, even the man's guitar has been draped in white lace. It is fitting, for it all resembles soft-serve vanilla ice cream. It is soft, airy, thick and really rather sweet. And as long as one eats it before it melts or attract flies, it is perfectly serviceable.

Norway.
I fear that a group of wanted criminals at large might be trying to use the Eurovision contest as a means to escape the law. That strikes me as a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why most of the Norwegian back-up performers are in disguise. Nice masks, mind; Daft Punk on the dole, as it were. Techno-pop with a good beat and a pleasant sound, which might very well make it to the top. Fairly significant competition for Mr. Treadmill to think of.

Switzerland.
Come with me, let us wander through the yellow and purple haze of Apollon! Let us lie down, and let the waves of high-grade popcorn pop give us a precious moment of peace and stillness.
The singer is, I must note, also remarkably beautiful, one of the few individuals who can wear a great yellow dress, while also perched on top of a yellow pillar, and make it all complement her so well.
It is my second favourite of the evening. I do not know why, I suspect hypnosis.

Israel.
Unable to afford sleeves for his shirt, the Israeli performer must manage without, but I imagine that the ventilation is welcome for his muscles. He sings quite well, so perhaps sleeves were but a dead weight that he is the richer for having shed. Some escaped lunatics in tattered strait-jackets enters the stage, possibly because they failed their try-outs to become Men in Breeches for all the other performances. Lively, jolly, futuristic hopping-pop.

Highlight Reel.

Ms. Jana Burceska of Macedonia did not pass the selection (a bit of a shame, I quite liked it), but she received a damned good consolation prize when her boyfriend took the opportunity to propose while on air in the green room. Lovely to see, absolutely lovely. I suppose such things are difficult to value, but I would say that a husband is more than comparable to a shot at the Eurovision trophy. Best hopes and wishes to the couple, of course.

They also give suitable credit to Jon Ola Sand, head chief of the whole business, and leader of the Swedish expeditionary force dispatched to help the Ukrainians run the show. I find it rather sweet, I must say.
“Tjyort vos'mi, Boris! Show is not work! Situation is slipping out of fingers!”
“Tvojio mat! We need expert chelp! Wait, I of know! I call him now.”
-Telephone rings-
“Good börk, Sviden speeking!”

Meanwhile, the Three Men in a Boat of the evening, the on-stage presenters, keep soldiering on, valiant before their lack of charm, timing and chemistry. Well, to be fair, one of the three (Timur, possibly Lenk), spends the programs banished to the “Khreen chroom”, while his two mates manage the factory floor business.
Timur Lenk tries, oh, do he try. And yet, quite a number of the performers simply cannot understand what he is saying. A meaningful exchange thus depends on how well the performer groups have mastered English. Of course, despite such problems, it is all jolliness and peace, which is precisely what this little get-together is all about.

What intrigues me this year is that the big Scandinavian Three all made it in. A bit of neighbourly competition, which could take some fascinating turns. I believe Finland will have a great deal of influence, depending on if they will give some loyalty votes (and for whom), or if they will beat their own path.
Bulgaria has thrown a rather nasty trick in the works, I must say. Very young performers tend to harvest quite a lot of sympathy votes, at least on national level. Of course, this is the finale. This is where no convention cannot be broken, and where anything can happen. We anticipate.

Of course, tomorrow, the Big Five (Germany, France, Italy, Great Britain and Spain) joins the frey. Italy has a man in an ape-suit join the stage, which is always notable. The British performance will be interesting to see. I do hope they work their way to a good spot in the table this year, or the Daily Mail readership will likely demand an exit from Eurovision, as well.
As a final note before the finale, the Portugese song seems to be strangely popular, and is a very real contender for victory. How? I cannot understand what people seem to see in it. It puts me to sleep, as lovely and... Song-y as it is. It certainly cannot compete with Mr. Epic Saxophone Man, nor with the Italian Gorilla. Surely.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 13, 2017, 02:40:24 pm »

And Belarus were shit. Sounded like a song from a new Disney movie set in Africa.
Still better than all the shit Belarus have sent to ESC over the past years.  :-\

P.S. Moldova is very generic. Not even the Epic Sax Guy can help it.

P.P.S. Either Bulgaria or Italy will win this year.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:42:10 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2017, 02:49:37 pm »

Moldova forgot you can't force memes. Netherlands actually made someone here fall asleep. Hungary pretty Magyar, 10/10. Italy's song was catchy, had a gorilla (why?). Yet to see something really noteworthy
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21