Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: DF has a SHALLOW learning curve  (Read 39197 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF has a SHALLOW learning curve
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2014, 03:00:49 am »

Cause like I specified a couple of posts back, what I'm more annoyed by is admittedly not so much the verbal phrase alone, but when people actually attempt to draw out the graph and STILL totally screw it up, as in like, not even making their graphs internally consistent. People who just throw up some axes that sound reasonable, and then draw shallow and steep curves obviously without having thought about what they actually mean on the graph they drew, and then calling it a day. Seriously? Who posts an infographic without actually stopping and thinking about the data in the infographic?

Or arguably even worse, one or two I saw seemed like they DID notice that it didn't add up, and yet instead of reconsidering or stepping back for a moment, decided to just flip the graph around so that everything shallow became steep, lol? Nevermind that's not how graphs work, the turn of phrase must be correct so this must be the way rawrrr!!!

It just oozes dumb. 

The verbal phrase alone though is totally different, because it's vastly easier to just say without considering the actual axes etc. (and understandably so) And that's cool, I get that.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2014, 03:36:37 am »

I think the learning curve of both colloquial and technical usages of learning curves is quite steep.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2014, 07:21:03 am »

Can we just give up this argument?

As for the graphs, learning curve is not how much you need to learn, it is how hard it is to learn and progress.

Thus, DF's curve goes straight up, while other games have a smoother learning curve.

((Nerd cred? Seriously?))
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2014, 08:53:26 am »

The only acceptable method to settle the argument is to mod in DF those so called "steep learning curve" and "shallow learning curve" guys and then make them fight in the DF arena.
:D

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2014, 09:05:24 am »

As for the graphs, learning curve is not how much you need to learn, it is how hard it is to learn and progress.

I am pretty sure the game starts off hard to learn and progress and becomes easier as time passes, produce a downwards slope.

(Oh god, what have I become :P)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2014, 09:32:14 am »

Cause like I specified a couple of posts back, what I'm more annoyed by is admittedly not so much the verbal phrase alone, but when people actually attempt to draw out the graph and STILL totally screw it up, as in like, not even making their graphs internally consistent. People who just throw up some axes that sound reasonable, and then draw shallow and steep curves obviously without having thought about what they actually mean on the graph they drew, and then calling it a day. Seriously? Who posts an infographic without actually stopping and thinking about the data in the infographic?

Yet these graphs you are talking about are also using the colloquial meaning. They're drawn to be funny, not to be published in any professional psychology papers.
Love, scriver~

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2014, 09:42:50 am »

People who don't really give a **** about whether they are technically correct, but whether they are understood. There's no logical reason to switch meanings that everyone understands back to their "correct" usage, just semantics. I, personally, would rather people understand what I'm saying then what I am saying be technically correct.

((Who even says "whom" anyway?))
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2014, 09:44:29 am »

People who don't really give a **** about whether they are technically correct, but whether they are understood.
Are you saying people could care less?  :D
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2014, 09:45:34 am »

People who don't really give a **** about whether they are technically correct, but whether they are understood.
Are you saying people could care less?  :D
*Highfive over the internet.*
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2014, 10:00:39 am »

I've always understood the learning curve to be time in the x axis, and the amount you need to know in order to function properly on the y axis. So for DF, you'd get the graph going up rapidly in the early stages, then slowly levelling off, while other games that introduce concepts one at a time would have the shallow curve.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2014, 10:23:37 am »

I understand GavJ's point, and he's technically correct, as far as traditional usage goes. HOWEVER... When the phrase "steep learning curve" is used, it doesn't refer to the same methodology - it's actually reversed. The reason is as follows:

Mountains are steep, and take a lot of skill to climb. Hills, on the other hand, are shallow, and are a relative walk in the park. No pun intended.

Making this graph correct:

It's an interesting point in English. English, like most languages, isn't defined academically, but by what the population as a whole accepts a word or phrase to mean. When the great majority of people say "a steep learning curve", they mean "lots to learn in order to play", making the commonly used definition correct. The important thing is that you are understood, and intuitively, "steep" or "rapid" sounds considerably more difficult than "shallow" or "slow". This is contrary to the traditional academic definition, yes, but most people don't specifically study this, so if you say DF has a shallow learning curve to anyone at all? They'll think it means it's easy.

If you say "steep learning curve" to anyone at all, unless you're talking specifically about academics and not games (and the person you're talking to is aware of it), you're using the definition that defines the phrase as (and it's from the wikipedia article you quoted, GavJ):

Yes, it represents rapid progress, but this is because in order to survive in the game at all, you have to pick things up quickly or you lose... much as in the same way as you need to learn quickly if you're going to go mountain climbing.

Therefore, GavJ is both right, and wrong.

I'm going to duck back out of this now. :P But guys, don't fight, and don't pick at other people. That's not how we do things here, right?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:26:16 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2014, 12:27:39 pm »

It was time for Science! to give a conclusion

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:29:39 pm by Robsoie »

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2014, 01:02:13 pm »

Only on the DF forums do we get into this heated a discussion over a graph.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2014, 01:32:16 pm »

Alright, how über did you make the steeps?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

seaturtlehorsesnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2014, 01:38:24 pm »

ok, here is my solution!

it's a pie chart eating a sideways bar graph.

the section of the pie chart that's shaped like a pie chart represents the pie chart section of a pie chart.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15