Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nimemonol: The Lonely Mountain (succession fortress)  (Read 9656 times)

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
Re: Nimemonol: The Lonely Mountain (succession fortress)
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 08:35:21 pm »

Run the thing however you like, but my opinion: More people (including myself) would probably be interested in this without the seemingly very time consuming and extraordinarily detailed blueprint component to it. Looking at the existing blueprints, I felt that learning how to even interpret the legend alone on the file would have taken longer than an entire normal community fort turn, and got very discouraged.  Also, following somebody else's down-to-the-tile blueprint feels like busy work, whereas translating a rougher concept into DF terms would involve good creativity, even if the basic vision were pre-decided.

It seems like a handmade quick sketch with some rough indicators of how many z levels are intended to align with the sketch would be sufficient and in many ways actually superior for this purpose?

Just my 2 cents though.

(Note that if done this way instead, you might need more leeway on the length of a turn. Something like "1-2 years, try to keep it to 1 but some room for going over if needed to finish a section")

Thanks for the input! I pretty much agree with you and I should have been more clear on some of my points. The .psd is what I was working on before I thought to use the world as a succession fort. It shouldn't be nearly that detailed and a lot of it is just doodles really. The front facing image would have been sufficient. I was intending to update it by now. The only things we need to keep consistent are the dimensions of the wall, the z level of fortifications and how far it is recessed into the mountain. This is because it will probably take several years to dig the whole front of the mountain and you can't put the natural rock back once we dig it. It would be good to have blueprints for the entrance and throne room because they are connected to the front wall but it will be those of who ever starts building and not my own. Actually maybe not the throne room because someone might end up putting it somewhere else. It's just that we can't have someone try and put a room right where we will need to put the wall and enterance and it will be hard to tell becase the wall will be like 20 blocks in at the bottom. I will try and reword the rules so they are more clear. Your idea of going more than a year might work but we would have to see what the other players think.

I know using photoshop/gimp for blueprints is a pain. Like I said they can be in what ever format you want and sketches would probably be preferable for most cases and be more fun to look at. It is not necessarily for this fort but I have been playing around with a web app for dwarf fortress blueprints and the basic gui is completed. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/134665186/draftdorf/draftdorf.html I have the code for actually drawing to the canvas but I am still optimizing it. It is similar to what I was doing in photoshop except visually much closer to dwarf fortress(or what ever tileset choose). This app is more intended for quickly making smaller blueprints that need correct placement like water pumps. It will also export for use in quickfort faster and more fun than with excel.

*edit* I have simplified the wording of the rules. Check it out and see what you think. I have also removed my .psd file because it is too confusing and the front view should get the idea across.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:08:34 pm by MadMonkey »
Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 05:44:15 pm »

Okay that sounds cool then. Don't put me down for a turn just this moment, but I will keep an eye on the project and may be interested later. =)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 04:29:20 pm »

Have you considered just using a freeware 3d CAD program like Google's Sketchup? All you'd have to do then is detail each room as a separate file, then join them together in a master file that shows just where exactly everything goes.  That or you could use a freeware lego builder like Ldraw to build your plans and just link to those files - even better if all that you use are square blocks and square flats so that everyone can see exactly what you're meaning to build.  Anyway, if everyone then contributes these designs, then the OP can excavate them as they're approved and post the new save files too.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 05:27:00 pm »

Legos do have a nifty accidental (? Toady may have been inspired, actually) feature of having 1/3 size plates that essentially are perfect analogues to floors versus tiles in dwarf fortress. Not saying that's actually time usage efficient. Just an observation.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 06:57:43 pm »

3d might be cool but it takes a lot of time so I wouldn't do it other than for statues. You guys can do what ever you want. Be creative and get your ideas across. How much longer should we wait before I start the first year? People might like how it's going and want to join once after we but I don't want to start if we arn't going to have enough players.

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 01:11:29 pm »

Bump! I think it might be best to wait till the update in July to start this. We need more people and there will be more people with free time over the summer. Will the world gen come out the same on the next version though?

Urist McHello?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 02:49:42 am »

Id love to get a spot in this, not so sure on the whole blueprint thing though. Would just be better to have a rule like "No killing dwarves on purpose unless it's a noble".

EDIT: Damn, just realised how old this was, shouldn't of had the blueprint thing cause this could've caught on pretty well.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:51:17 am by Urist McHello? »

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 11:43:44 am »

Can I join?
Edit: Didn't check the date.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:50:38 am by zlob »
error: 'long long long' is too long

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 02:39:41 pm »

PTW, if this succeeds I'll be impressed.

Also, @MadMonkey: You misspelled Entrance in the OP, just a heads up before a Grammar Nazi walks in and rages.

Edit: Ah, this appears to be dead. Sorry 'bout that.

TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2020, 11:46:18 pm »

What the fuck happened to this thread? I don't even remember. I might be interested in revisiting this concept if I can find a similar embark.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 05:41:49 am »

Posting to read along, won't be taking a turn, but am interested in a proper dwarfy deal.

Edit: Didn't notice the second page. Take this as an interest post should you choose to try again
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:50:02 am by delphonso »

Nautilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 02:08:28 pm »

If this gets revived I would join.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2020, 03:54:54 pm »

I’m gonna PTW for now, but if it comes back, I’ll probably take part.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 [2]