Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I just dig tiles in dfhack?!  (Read 21380 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I just dig tiles in dfhack?!
« on: May 10, 2014, 06:23:21 pm »

This is making me go crazy.  I can't figure out how to do what should be the simplest thing ever.
Just wanna insta-channel one tile at the cursor.

Can I do that?

Also, can I just remove constructions in dfhack?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: How do I just dig tiles in dfhack?!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 06:35:21 pm »

Do you mean with advfort?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 07:12:48 pm »

dunno what that is.  Just dfhack or any plugins available for it.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:13:24 pm »

Do you mean in dwarf mode or adventure mode?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 07:26:05 pm »

dwarf mode.

If theres something for adv mode too though all the better.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 07:28:22 pm »

Oh, I see what you want.

I think TileTypes should work.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 07:48:37 pm »

Possibly, but there is no apparent documentation of it. What would be the actual command?

After about half an hour I eventually figured out how to sort of remove aquifers using that tool, with point brush only. Cannot figure out how to do pretty much anything else. Including changing brush type, brush size, or setting a tile material type, etc.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 07:51:16 pm »

"help tiletypes"

also, readme

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 08:20:35 pm »

Yeah, neither of those gives me the necessary info to do what I'm trying to do. Or really much of ANYTHING, for that matter.

1) If I want to dig a channel / remove stuff entirely.
"help shape" within tiletypes lists:
ANY
NONE
EMPTY
FLOOR
[bunch of other obviously irrelevant stuff, although I tried some of it]
FLOOR leaves a floor still. EMPTY does nothing at all. NONE does nothing at all. ANY does nothing at all.
So how do you channel, or at least remove the floor (don't care if I have to add ramps myself afterward, but I can't get rid of the floor)?

2) Painting a hematite wall? No idea, help and readme are useless.
"paint material stone: hematite"
"paint material hematite"
"paint material stone:hematite"
"paint material stone hematite"
"paint stone hematite"
none work. Always gives error or paints conglomerate??
The readme explicitly even says "paint stone microcline" as an example, which yields an error in the actual program (lol).

3) Neither the readme nor inline help even attempts to tell you how to change brush size. Would love to figure out that too.
brush 2
brush size 2
paint brush 2
brush
etc. do not do anything (or provide extra help on syntax)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 10:35:08 am »

Yeah, neither of those gives me the necessary info to do what I'm trying to do. Or really much of ANYTHING, for that matter.

1) If I want to dig a channel / remove stuff entirely.
"help shape" within tiletypes lists:
ANY
NONE
EMPTY
FLOOR
[bunch of other obviously irrelevant stuff, although I tried some of it]
FLOOR leaves a floor still. EMPTY does nothing at all. NONE does nothing at all. ANY does nothing at all.
So how do you channel, or at least remove the floor (don't care if I have to add ramps myself afterward, but I can't get rid of the floor)?

2) Painting a hematite wall? No idea, help and readme are useless.
"paint material stone: hematite"
"paint material hematite"
"paint material stone:hematite"
"paint material stone hematite"
"paint stone hematite"
none work. Always gives error or paints conglomerate??
The readme explicitly even says "paint stone microcline" as an example, which yields an error in the actual program (lol).

3) Neither the readme nor inline help even attempts to tell you how to change brush size. Would love to figure out that too.
brush 2
brush size 2
paint brush 2
brush
etc. do not do anything (or provide extra help on syntax)
I'm not an expert with DFHack by any stretch of the imagination, but I have noticed that materials are case-sensitive.  DFHack wants the name from the material token (which is always UPPERCASE) rather than the solid state name you see in-game (which is always lowercase in vanilla).  It makes sense to use "prospect all" to get a list of the local materials as exemplars.  If a material name has embedded spaces, enclose its token in quotes on the DFHack command line.

Hope that helps.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 10:42:09 am »

filter any WALL
paint shape FLOOR
range 1 1 1 (this is the brush, for a 1 x 1 spot, 1 z lvl high)

That will give you the result you are looking for, with tiletypes.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 03:54:38 pm »

To dig a channel (a hole on the current level):
Code: [Select]
paint shape empty
paint material air
Use "filter any" and "point" if you want to reset the filter and brush beforehand.

To simulate a dug c[h]annel:
Code: [Select]
Top level:
paint shape ramp_top
paint material any

Bottom level:
paint shape ramp
paint material any
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 04:03:29 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 04:01:11 pm »

filter any WALL
paint shape FLOOR
range 1 1 1 (this is the brush, for a 1 x 1 spot, 1 z lvl high)

That will give you the result you are looking for, with tiletypes.
But I don't want a floor. I want to get rid of the tile fill AND its floor.  It might just not be possible with that tool.
Thank you for the brush size info though, that works great!
edit: paint shape empty + paint material air
together will remove the floor. Super intuitive ... >.>  But works.

I'm not an expert with DFHack by any stretch of the imagination, but I have noticed that materials are case-sensitive.  DFHack wants the name from the material token (which is always UPPERCASE) rather than the solid state name you see in-game (which is always lowercase in vanilla).  It makes sense to use "prospect all" to get a list of the local materials as exemplars.  If a material name has embedded spaces, enclose its token in quotes on the DFHack command line.

Hope that helps.
Further research suggests that it is in fact simply not possible to change a tile to hematite, for instance. You can only specify "stone" or "soil" etc., which makes it whatever the default stone or soil are for that layer, not whatever you want. Which seems silly/strange, but it is what it is.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 08:01:39 am »

Newer builds of DFHack do allow painting arbitrary materials by way of creating or extending mineral inclusions - you're probably using r4, so you don't have that option.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 08:44:14 am »

This is making me go crazy.  I can't figure out how to do what should be the simplest thing ever.
Just wanna insta-channel one tile at the cursor.

Can I do that?

Also, can I just remove constructions in dfhack?

Hey gavj I΄m trying something similar, but  I cant even start tiletypes. Please tell me how to make it work. I just open the console with ctrl+shift+p, then type tiletypes, but it tells me that it needs an interactive console to work
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
Pages: [1] 2