Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Stories of Times You Introduced Friends to Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 15289 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Stories of Times You Introduced Friends to Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2014, 06:34:21 am »

My best friend is a huge skrub, but I consider him a successful convert, since I gotcha him to play TF2 and various other F2P games where he only played CoD before. Despite this, all my efforts to get him to play DF have fallen on deaf ears and he insists that it is shit.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2014, 02:35:23 pm »

My best friend is a huge skrub, but I consider him a successful convert, since I gotcha him to play TF2 and various other F2P games where he only played CoD before. Despite this, all my efforts to get him to play DF have fallen on deaf ears and he insists that it is shit.

My friends are all terrified of it, but I've noticed there seems to be a direct correlation between "yeah, it's kinduva good game" and "CoD is shit."  At least among my circles.

Conclusion:  Intelligent individuals are more likely to at least respect the amount of detail that goes into Dwarf Fortress, if not try playing it themselves, while recognizing that Call of Duty is, in fact, a steaming pile of crap.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2014, 06:43:53 pm »

Tell him you can manufacture and customise hats.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GodlyTeapot

• Bay Watcher
  • "Don't feed the badger..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2014, 02:59:25 am »

I don't think its possible to persuade someone to learn to play DF. Its like learning to play an instrument, nothing will sink in unless they enjoy it. I've introduced three friends to DF. The first enjoyed it but I think he got distracted by some other games and his enthusiasm tapered off, although he wants to hang out soon so I can show him h ropes again. The second really got into it and is a capable player "fuck you and your plumphelmets Jake, I'm making a Llama farm" he doesnt play it that much anymore, but hes really into cataclysm. The third told me I should check it out and I confessed that I'd been playing it for about four years, although hardly an expert I would gladly help him out.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2014, 10:54:47 pm »

Well I've got this one friend that I sort of got to play it, but FUN frustrates him on an almost neurotic level. He definitely likes learning the details of these complex game systems, but hates experimenting with them when failure is a possibility.

It didn't help that we had some communication failure about using the designate menu when he was just starting. I -think- I wasn't so terrible as to not explain it, but I know him well enough that I should have expected him to not hear a lot of details with the way I did explain it.

I've got a suspicion that people you can get to play this game are also people that would stick it out/see it through if I were teaching them how to program (old/simple videogames.)

if they need a graphics pack to get into DF they're likely to quit sooner or later. I love the asc II but it just hurts my eyes to much, which is why I use ironhand.
That said, finding a font that isn't quite as harsh on the eyes can be about as big of a step up as those graphics packs.

Personally I tend to like having graphics for the different dwarf professions, as something about the color shades for the face all running around each other just kills my ability to visually track a specific dwarf, but beyond that I easily keep track of other species on a colored letter basis (except the rare cases where I'll have the same letter and forget which is green vs brown.)

I think that using graphics packs actually made me really bad about the sizes of creatures though. I almost need to having some game design creep in and slap me with an isolated box of flavor text that states the size relative to my active race/species.

LoL and shooters are like "Start match, kill somebody, die, kill, die times 100, end match". What's so entertaining about them? You just do the same things over and over.
It's sports but you don't have to run until your lungs hurt and it's soooorta not something those damn jocks that you hated would be into.

One of the less obvious draws to it is that you can develop a lot of skill at the game and then still play it without really having to invest a huge chunk of time, which is great for folks that have a full time job and a fair deal of children rearing duties to attend to.

How the hell do I explain fucking Dwarf Fortress to someone who has never played a video game that hasn't been on an iPhone?
If you've got awhile explain roguelikes in general (Squidi's 2 out of 3 metric still holds pretty true: something like ascii art, procedural generation, hard as nails or even downright unfair until you've learnt so much through countless deaths that you instantly assess the situation and know exactly what you should do. His third thing was a lot more pithy though.)

If you need something way shorter you could say "it's sort of like The Sims but they're alcoholics that build and live in a compound together, and have all of these quirky behaviors like drowning themselves when they try not to get attacked by fish. It's really bizarre but the scant few that get past that find out that it's super engaging."
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2014, 11:24:01 pm »

Its like Lord of the Flies, but with bearded midgets instead of kids, and megalithic superconstructions instead of shelters. Also the inhabitants can leave whenever they want, but the only rescue usually lies in madness and death. The conch is named Armok.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2014, 05:28:25 am »

I introduced DF to my friend. His reaction was "WTF IS THIS" and going back to playing some stupid FPS. I seem to never meet people who like strategy or "scientific" (ie. Kerbal Space Program) games. They all prefer to play League of Legends or shooters. I once introduced my friend to KSP. He said that it looks boring and started grumbling about how come I don't like LoL. LoL and shooters are like "Start match, kill somebody, die, kill, die times 100, end match". What's so entertaining about them? You just do the same things over and over. The only game we managed to play together was Minecraft, and they still got bored after a few days.
Shooters have a certain appeal. You can become good in them, kill other guys. TF2 is a good example. I'm good in it, and it's just fun to wreck shit every now and then. Same goes for MOBAs. CoD is far from a bad game when you look just at the game and ignore the community and the fifty billion games that came before it and were just the same.

These games are fundamentally different from DF and bashing them for stupid reasons is stupid. "You just kill somebody, die, kill somebody and die again repeat as nauseum". Well, in DF one just digs a hole, builds something, digs another hole, digs something, repeat. See, I can leave out every single detail from a game and make it seem boring too!

Different games for different people. If you bash FPSs as a whole you're also bashing Quake, Doom and the likes. If you bash MOBAs as a whole, you're also bashing Awesomenauts, etc. For bashing specific games, we have a board called "Other Games" :v

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2014, 07:18:08 am »

Its like Lord of the Flies, but with bearded midgets instead of kids, and megalithic superconstructions instead of shelters. Also the inhabitants can leave whenever they want, but the only rescue usually lies in madness and death. The conch is named Armok.
Sig'd

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2014, 08:08:09 pm »

words
Different games for different people.
words
Very much agreed, but thought that I should add that a lot of these kill contest type games have a lot of almost hidden objectives that the average person won't even realize are there when they look at or play the game a bit.

It's sort of like my dead stare at any of the FIFA games that have been on wall mounted televisions of late. Two teams kick a ball into a net over and over* ad nauseum.
*Well, more like once or twice per game.
Now, there's this whole game of keep away that they're constantly playing, and what I'm sure is a complex system of not only moving the ball through gaps in the other team's defenses, but straight up trying to exploit and otherwise out think them in order to create those gaps where you need them in the first place- but I've never experimented with that and have always practically assumed I have no aptitude for it, so I've never really tinkered with the system to get past the 'it's just a bunch of blinking pixels on a screen' stage. Even with the actual scoring of a goal there's this impenetrable black box of mechanics in whatever it is people do to get the ball past the goalie, but to me it's just 'he catches it most of the time but sometimes he doesn't and the score goes up one.'

As I stand right now? The game isn't very interesting, and even if I try to pay attention I just get bored. The stuff I know to look for seems really simple and there are a few things I can see, but don't really get what makes or breaks them, so that's basically just random to me.

Now imagine how easy it would be for me to actually think that if I didn't have such a spergy obsession with seeing things from other people's points of view. I'd still deserve a little bit of blame for my ignorance if I said that like I were an authority on the game but actually gaining that kind of understanding of it requires a bizarre devotion to that impenetrable display of little figures dancing around on a screen. As familiar as that sounds I'm tempted to say that the real difference is popularity and social reinforcement.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2014, 08:32:54 pm »

impenetrable display of little figures dancing around on a screen.

Dwarves cannot dance, as they have no knees.

I fully agree that Dwarf Fortress isn't for everyone. From my experience, anyone that doesn't like strategy games (the genre, such as Starcraft or Civilization) will not like Dwarf Fortress. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, in the same way that people argue over any other like and dislike. It's just a difference in taste that renders them fully incapable of higher thought processes, and elevates us to the position of a clearly-superior mental elite that is perfectly understandable.

Anyway, joking aside, isn't this a thread for posting stories of times we showed this game to friends? Maybe we should stay on-topic, these discussions never end well :\
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2014, 04:46:43 am »

Yeah, DF certainly isn't for everyone. (And I don't really like strategy games myself (especially RTSs), but I do like DF. DF's scale is much smaller than most rts games.)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2014, 06:42:48 am »

Anyway, joking aside, isn't this a thread for posting stories of times we showed this game to friends? Maybe we should stay on-topic, these discussions never end well :\
B-but how can we have a circlejerk over how great DF is if that's not what we're talking about?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

FeBeardAuFinger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2014, 11:11:47 am »

I discovered DF from XKCD.  My wife just calls it building squares game.  Probably because I mostly stare at square workshop rooms around the central staircase.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2014, 11:14:56 am »

When I introduced it to my eight-year old nephew:

"...

I'm going to play Terraria instead!"

When I introduced it to my dad:

"Looks like that cat and mouse game we had on our old computer!"
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2014, 09:11:01 pm »

I have never met anyone in person brave/determined enough to try Dwarf Fortress, excepting my brother, who dabbles.
Many people are interested when I tell them stories about my or others' fortresses. No doubt some are also off-put by my morbid sense of humor as expressed through DF's video game cruelty potential.
Oh well!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5