Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]

Author Topic: ⚔DUELING BLADES⚔ - PbP 4v4 Competitive Dungeon Crawling (OOC)  (Read 21116 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: ⚔DUELING BLADES⚔ - PbP 4v4 Competitive Dungeon Crawling (OOC)
« Reply #315 on: June 09, 2014, 04:51:18 pm »

It's up to you guys to decide whether information is sensitive enough to be kept out of general OOC.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2014, 11:54:23 pm »

Also, please make sure that your sheet is up to date before you post an action. This is mostly aimed at Solgeid. Otherwise I'm going to have to start keeping my own personal copies of your sheets to make sure nothing gets lost or forgotten.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 18, 2014, 04:13:57 am »

I'm going to be away from the 25th of June to around the 6th/7th of July. Am I alright to be auto'd during that period?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 18, 2014, 05:01:59 am »

Sure, just give control of your character to someone else.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 18, 2014, 05:03:46 am »

In that case, any takers?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 19, 2014, 05:23:25 pm »

Sorry updates aren't prompt, I'm recovering from having my wisdom teeth taken out.

Also, I added a new combat maneuver to the book based on how medieval combat generally played out. You can now perform a finisher. Here's the description:

As a full round action, you may finish off a target who is prone on the ground. Someone who is sitting may be pushed prone as a half-round action as part of a finisher. A finisher hits automatically, but it opens you up to an attack by the target before you can strike if they are conscious. If you are not hit by them, you may choose where to aim and hit without rolling. One-handed weapons will deal double damage, except for dagger type weapons, which deal triple damage, and armor is ignored. This is because you are aiming for vital points and weak spots on an enemy.

It's meant to be used in conjunction with a shove or certain knacks, which can put enemies on the ground. It's also useful for finishing off downed opponents, of which you can be one. With certain weapons, against a certain level of armor, it's basically impossible to deal damage, so a finisher is a good counter to armor also. Daggers can't pierce fullplate, but if you send one through the eye slit of his helmet, it's probably gonna hurt.

Also, fun fact: When common infantrymen went up against a fully armored knight, the general tactic was to take a blunt object like a mace and hit him in the chest hard enough to break his ribs, and then have your mates jump him and stab him in the joints which are less armored.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 26, 2014, 09:09:51 pm »

You know, Squeegy, you're kinda bein' a dick when you interpret the orders so literally when it's fairly damn obvious what people are supposed to do.

Especially since this is such a realistic(read: likely to get you killed) system.

EDIT: Not trying to be rude or anything, but...food for thought, man. Be a courteous DM, not a malicious one.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:18:19 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 26, 2014, 10:29:02 pm »

It might be obvious to you, but I can't read your minds. The only time I interpreted orders literally were when you had days to weeks to notice your mistake and fix it and didn't. Any other time you might be talking about, I probably just assumed you meant what you said.

But while we're on the topic of shortcomings, you guys have been really lax on keeping track of your inventory and health. I can count the number of people actually deducting durability, ammunition, or limb damage on one hand. If you want me to be fairer, then take some of the work off my plate, because I cannot trust your guys' character sheets right now.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 26, 2014, 11:01:04 pm »

It might be obvious to you, but I can't read your minds. The only time I interpreted orders literally were when you had days to weeks to notice your mistake and fix it and didn't. Any other time you might be talking about, I probably just assumed you meant what you said.

But while we're on the topic of shortcomings, you guys have been really lax on keeping track of your inventory and health. I can count the number of people actually deducting durability, ammunition, or limb damage on one hand. If you want me to be fairer, then take some of the work off my plate, because I cannot trust your guys' character sheets right now.
I didn't even know we had to deduct durability.

And I tried to deduct health accurately but screwed up somewhere so. >.>
I'm talking about stuff like 'pelvic thrust the door' or 'use cleverness to attack'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 27, 2014, 12:40:34 am »

I told you in this thread that you had to:

ALSO: I've updated the PDF (at the same link) to include something I'd meant to get in before I started this: weapon and armor durability. The relevant changes are on pages 119-122. You'll need to update your sheets with the new Weapons/Armor tab. Let me know if you need help doing it. The main thing spurring this change is that I wanted to make armor more reliable, so I changed it to a flat DR rather than a roll. However, this made it possible to have armor good enough that you simply couldn't be touched by lesser weapons. So now it's possible for your armor to be broken, allowing weaker weapons to damage you, but it's still better for armor-wearers than it was before. Also, equipment will gradually degrade over time even when repaired, so eventually you'll need to replace them. I gave them fairly generous HP pools, however.

And I tried to deduct health accurately but screwed up somewhere so. >.>
I'm talking about stuff like 'pelvic thrust the door' or 'use cleverness to attack'.

You probably didn't deduct bleeding. Neither of those even made any sense. What do you even expect me to make of those commands? You cannot use Cleverness to physically attack (I don't even know why you'd think you could) so I interpreted it the best I could and gave advice based on how well he rolled, which is what Cleverness does. (FYI: if he had moved one square to the left while you were fighting him he could have easily made every one of his shots). I was also annoyed by Jboy's futzing around and penalized him for being stupid. That wasn't taking him literally, it was merely GM fiat.

I've said that if you have any confusion on the rules, you can ask, and every time you have, I've answered. If you do something stupid without asking, I don't feel particularly sorry for you, and if your commands are so vague that I have to fill in the blanks, you're not taking enough time and I'm not apologetic if it doesn't turn out how you wanted.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 27, 2014, 12:53:06 am »

Ah. I was probably absent for that and missed it in the flood of posts that happened around that time.

As for Jboy, I don't disagree with him being stupid, but I think the idea was clear in that he wanted to hit the door again. That said, he was being stupid and I can't disagree with your wrist-swat.

For the other guy, I think he was just frustrated with his own helplessness and trying to figure out if he could ever do anything useful(cuz' it sure seems like this thing is whooping our asses).

I'll try and work on the armor/weapon durability when I have time. Hopefully it's not too complex...

But anyway, my point is, I've been getting the feeling that when we try to make this less serious and more fun, you punish us. Which is...upsetting, to say the least. I understand if you want your game system to be taken seriously since you've obviously put a lot of time and effort into it, but...still.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 27, 2014, 06:16:26 am »

I understand that, but I don't feel like taking it seriously and having fun are mutually exclusive. If they are, I must be doing something wrong. I get the feeling that this style of game isn't really in the vein of most forum games on Bay12, and I appreciate that you guys have sacrificed some of the things you're used to doing in order to fit in with that. I want to be clear that I'm not trying to kill you off. I want you to succeed. I'm just not trying to tip the scales in your favor. I'm trying to be firm and fair.

James's failures were entirely the fault of bad luck and nothing more. It was just rolls that didn't go his way. Yes, there was something he could do to make himself more useful -- move 2 meters west. But I guess he didn't read the PDF enough to realize that was the case. That's why I tried to tell him on that Cleverness roll.

That's all I can really say without giving anything away. Welcome to Foot Soldiers. Be glad you still have all your limbs on.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #327 on: August 28, 2014, 04:27:38 pm »

Bamp. :I

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 28, 2014, 04:50:26 pm »

IIRC, Solgeid was not taking their turns, so I stopped updating.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #329 on: August 28, 2014, 06:27:38 pm »

I see!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]