Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goofy 12x12 tileset & WIP graphics set!  (Read 9485 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Goofy 12x12 tileset & WIP graphics set!
« on: May 14, 2014, 02:32:28 am »

The graphics set is available! Currently only has images for dwarves, but I'll soon begin work on other civs.
Here's the DFFD link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8593
The download includes both the purist and symbol tilesets.
Here's a video showing off the set(mind the strange fuzziness): http://youtu.be/hyvJcYDJVcY

Finally, here's some screenshots, too, for good measure:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are two versions of the tileset: Purist and Symbol.
Here's the first sheet, the Purist version:

The second version is the Symbol version:

Here's the screenshots of this:

The 255 tile on both of them is a pillar. If you want, you can set [PILLAR_TILE:255] in the d_init.txt file to use it. Thanks, Rogue Yun for showing me that!

Comments and criticism are welcome! Thanks!

Spoiler: Updates (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:07:06 pm by Jack_Bread »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Re: Goofy WIP 12x12 tileset
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:51:58 pm »

I love it! The upper and lowercase "Z" and the number "7" look a little out of place to me. But I think the rest look astoundingly good. The style reminds me a bit of jolly bastion, but yours is still very unique. Keep it up! Maybe we con bounce ideas back and forth. Or at least I can learn from you. You are good.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 01:30:20 am »

Thanks! I've already fixed the Zs and the 7 in my version. I slanted them too much. I did take some inspiration from Jolly Bastion, among other things. Talking sounds fun, but I don't think I can teach you. I'm a terrible teacher, haha.
EDIT: Just updated it with new walls and symbols.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:25:18 pm by Jack_Bread »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 12:16:43 pm »

I REALLY like your style. But what I like most so far are the smoothed walls/tracks. They look very clean and simple and that is what I am striving for in my tileset. I like them... A lot.. I don't know if I will use them but may I ask your permission in case I do?

*edit*
I recommend a separate pillar tile in your 255 slot that coincides better than the "O" with the walls. But since this is a WIP you are probably working that way anyway. Again, awesome job!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:36:40 pm by Rogue Yun »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:35:24 pm »

I REALLY like your style. But what I like most so far are the smoothed walls/tracks. They look very clean and simple and that is what I am striving for in my tileset. I like them... A lot.. I don't know if I will use them but may I ask your permission in case I do?

*edit*
I recommend a separate pillar tile in your 255 slot that coincides better than the "O" with the walls. But since this is a WIP you are probably working that way anyway. Again, awesome job!
Thanks! Yeah, you can use my walls if you want. Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean with your edit. Is there something special with that slot or would it be for someone to switch out in case they don't like the O?

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 04:17:58 pm »

*edit*
Thanks! Yeah, you can use my walls if you want. Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean with your edit. Is there something special with that slot or would it be for someone to switch out in case they don't like the O?
The 255 slot is used by a couple other tilesets in the repositories for the purpose of providing a better pillar tile (It is one of the tiles that is not used for anything by the vanilla so it is generally used by modders). I just thought I'd give you the recommendation. You can test it by changing the [PILLAR_TILE:'O'] to [PILLAR_TILE:255] in the d_init.txt file. I am overjoyed that you are working on making a 12x12 graphic set. Feel free to ignore my zeal. I am just doing unto you what I wish others would do unto me :P What made you decide to do a 12x12 set?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 12:47:12 am »

Oh, I didn't know you could do that. My only experience with making graphics in DF was a graphics set I made for 40d. Nice to know, thanks. :)
My old graphics set was made in 16x16 and after coming back, I felt that 16x16 is actually a little big and decided to figure out a reasonable smaller size. 12x12 came to mind.
I also found it funny when I came here to see if there was a 12x12 base I could work off of and saw your thread.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 11:16:51 am »

Welcome back! You have my support! I'm excited to see where you go with this. Whatever I have is at your disposal.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 06:07:21 am »

Updated with 2 tilesets, one is normal and the other has symbols for things like crowns, levers, furniture, etc. I think the tileset is pretty complete at this point, so I'll start the graphic set at some point.
Thanks for the support, Rogue Yun!

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Re: Goofy WIPish 12x12 tileset
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 09:46:46 pm »

First things first! I love it! If you were around before I might have used yours and never started working on my own! I don't think I can express how impressed I am.

Now to be more specific in my praise! I absolutely love the design of the beds! Great job! My beds looks so plain and yours look very masterwork. With your permission I would like to dissect your idea and see what I can do with it in my own tileset.

Your coins look EXTREMELY good. I struggled with making my coins look like coins... (I still struggle), and you look like you got it right off the bat. It is another idea I would like to ask your permission to borrow and play with.

I like your metal bars! I don't know how well they would look as metal doors but they should look good as both bars and driftwood. Its hard to make all three of those comply :P

The on and off switches are great!!! I tried to do something similar and it just didn't look right to me. You pulled it off without a hitch. Well done.

Some suggestions.

Just a fair warning... sometimes hatch covers invert (where anything colored becomes black and the background becomes the color) depending on the material used. I am not sure why this is so... but some of your hatches may look like a black or empty square. If you are willing to use mine as an example you can see where I have a hatch design sketched out in pink in the middle of the grayscale hatch just in case it is inverted.

I could be wrong but I do believe cages are also inverted. I'll have to test that.

This is just what I can speculate from just looking at it. I'll give it a spin tonight and see if I can tell you anything more.

Keep it up good sir!

May I ask what program you are using to edit your tileset?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:51:52 pm by Rogue Yun »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 10:55:26 pm »

Yeah, feel free to use my stuff as long as you're not blatantly stealing it and calling it your own, haha.
I forgot about the hatch covers. I didn't think of that. I actually had a barrel sprite, but I got rid of it because of the inversion. I actually don't have any hatch covers in my current fort, so I didn't notice.
Also, I believe the cages would look fine inverted. I haven't done in extensive testing of the symbol set, as I'm not a fan of how changing certain symbols messes with the font. It was mainly a fun exercise. I'll still look into it, though.

As for my program, I use GraphicsGale. I recommend checking it out if you haven't already. It's rougly 20$USD to buy, but buying it mainly lets you save GIFs and a couple of unimportant formats.
Thanks for the compliments, too! I'm usually pessimistic about my own work, but it's always nice to hear someone who likes what I do. :D

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 09:56:51 am »

May I ask what program you are using to edit your tileset?

As for my program, I use GraphicsGale. I recommend checking it out if you haven't already. It's rougly 20$USD to buy, but buying it mainly lets you save GIFs and a couple of unimportant formats.

If you're cheap, I use GIMP for pixel art. It's quite servicable once you've set things up correctly. (eg, like this.)

I like the tilesets, they're a different style than most. The screenshots remind me a little of Tarn's crayon drawings, in a good way. Good show.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:01:37 am by Taffer »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 08:24:58 pm »

Like I said, you only get the ability for saving GIFs, ICO(program icons), CUR(cursors), and ANI(animated cursors) if you buy it. But whatever floats your boat. Also, thanks!

Anyway, I've started working on the graphics set. I'm going to be recording myself making this and uploading them to my youtube channel, if anyone's interested.
Here's the first video: http://youtu.be/U59kJz0cwoE

Here's also some screenshots and the first version of the set if you're interested in going with it incomplete:

I think I need to increase the contrast between the grays and maybe make them a bit brighter, I think.
Also, children are too small and I made the babies look like larva.

EDIT:
Done with the next part. My mouse died on me and I now have a temporary mouse until I can get batteries. Unfortunately, I still had to make this video with my touchpad as I thought I could make it through while my wireless mouse was still usable. Link: http://youtu.be/Y-HO1CO-F-M

Progress screenshots + WIP version:

Updated both purist and symbols tilesets. Nothing big, just realized the '7' was too far to the right.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:22:45 pm by Jack_Bread »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 06:15:26 pm »

Very impressive! Well done!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 03:56:59 am »

Just finished the dwarf part of the set and uploaded it to the good ole' DFFD: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8593
Here are the screenshots linked on that in case you don't want to go over there:

I haven't made a tileset since 40d, so I was referencing other tilesets to see what all they've done, but I might've missed a couple of things. Please inform me if I did!
The 3rd part of the Youtube series is up and the 4th part along with a show-off video will go up tomorrow.
I'll start with elves or humans next. I still haven't decided.
Pages: [1] 2