Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Might & Fealty  (Read 9337 times)

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Might & Fealty
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 06:50:15 pm »

Anything that plays in a browser is pretty small-time. That said, if there's a lot of players, then I guess they're doing something right and shouldn't be part of your examples. I wouldn't know, since I always felt vaguely ridiculous when contemplating on clicking a Travian web ad.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 07:16:36 pm »

Anything that plays in a browser is pretty small-time. That said, if there's a lot of players, then I guess they're doing something right and shouldn't be part of your examples. I wouldn't know, since I always felt vaguely ridiculous when contemplating on clicking a Travian web ad.

I don't play Travian. A quick Google reveals:
  • Translated into 41 languages
  • 5+ million players worldwide
  • 300 game servers worldwide
  • Profitable enough to lay the foundation for what is now a 230-employee company
I don't know. That doesn't seem to deserve a dismissive "small-time" label simply because it's plays in a browser.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 07:58:32 pm »

Well, it can't be denied that the game is having a bit of a rough start, but that doesn't change the obvious potential it has. Tom is certainly lacking in a lot of skills a successful one-man-army game dev would want to have, but he knows how to code and has experience in doing this sort of long term game, and most of his ideas are actually good. As long as he has a playerbase, its obvious to me that there will be constant improvement, man spends most of his waking time thinking about the constant onslaught of problems his ambitious game has and naturally that makes him a bit sensitive on the forum

By the way, the current in-game map:

P.S. I think the opening post should have a sentence or two about the limited nature and equilibrium of resources in the game.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:00:33 pm by Mookzen »

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 08:49:23 pm »

This just proves you never even bothered to read my post, if you don't understand why I mentioned Travian.

Trolls are so tiresome... Always wasting time that could be spent productively.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 08:51:00 pm »

Well, it can't be denied that the game is having a bit of a rough start, but that doesn't change the obvious potential it has. Tom is certainly lacking in a lot of skills a successful one-man-army game dev would want to have, but he knows how to code and has experience in doing this sort of long term game, and most of his ideas are actually good. As long as he has a playerbase, its obvious to me that there will be constant improvement, man spends most of his waking time thinking about the constant onslaught of problems his ambitious game has and naturally that makes him a bit sensitive on the forum

By the way, the current in-game map:

P.S. I think the opening post should have a sentence or two about the limited nature and equilibrium of resources in the game.

Why do you say he knows how to code? A small player base browser game doesn't exactly require intense coding knowledge.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 11:50:55 pm »

Trolls are so tiresome... Always wasting time that could be spent productively.

Actually, last place I saw your posts, you were at RPGCodex organising a grand crusade against goonsquad in Eve, and the only person taking you seriously was a goon plant stringing you along. Suffice to say, you seem unable to find productive and reasonable uses for your time even when not being trolled.

How'd that 4000 player anti-Goon coalition work out for you?

Quote from: MoLAoS
Although its only 4000 people, well its like Kickstarter, there is a main goal and stretch goals, its 4000 of the math lovingest, tedium shrugging offest, most organized space browser strategy gamers in existence. I wonder how Goons will handle 400 people with coalition level Titan fleets who all play 8 hours a day or more and have multiple monitors and special combat languages specifically for multi boxing, well text games not 3d but still semi real time combat, and who think nothing of blowing 5 hours a day on economic activities like mining ops and planetary interaction.

Sounds like a serious guy here. A real live wire.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:09:05 am by Gervassen »
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 12:20:48 am »

....  I see this line of conversation is going downhill.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 12:53:35 am »

Yeah I'm pretty sure we aren't supposed to bring other forum drama here. All I know is that I clearly explained that Travian and OGame solve the problem of single universe takeover by constantly spawning new empty universes, leaving a string of dead ones behind as the player base moves on.

Anyways, I think it will be interesting to see what happens with the now broken up Rathgar, assuming people don't get whiny and leave.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 02:07:59 am »

Not trying to drag that Drama over here, but I find the point interesting and I think it's relevant to people wanting to play the game.

If you want to offer a game with RP and political drama, Dev-intervention should not be a thing in my opinion. Roleplaying largely depends on being consequent with your role, and accepting the good with the bad. If the community just cries foul every time someone gets up a big alliance and it gets hammered afterwards, what's the point of trying to achieve something in the first place?

To give an example, in my opinion it's naive and childish to expect bigger players to willingly cripple themselves by fabricated events or handycaps, to adjust to smaller ones. The idea should be, that the smaller ones either unite against the common bigger threat, or try to survive via political means or tribute until they're big enough to compete.

Dont get me wrong, cooperation is also important. Sometimes it can be fun to create a crisis as a big player, just so it gets interesting again. And it's also cool to sometimes lend Newcomers a hand to get some more competition going. But if the Dev would come around to just nuke a Realm once it gets to a certain size, I dont see the point of even trying to go beyond a certain amount of progress.

And if stuff like that really bothers Tom, he should just implement some backdraws to larger armies. Slower moving, Supply-issues, whatever. But just forcing your Players to disband their alliances or outright nuking them himself is bullcrap.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 06:39:34 am »

Yeah I'm pretty sure we aren't supposed to bring other forum drama here. All I know is that I clearly explained that Travian and OGame solve the problem of single universe takeover by constantly spawning new empty universes, leaving a string of dead ones behind as the player base moves on.

Anyways, I think it will be interesting to see what happens with the now broken up Rathgar, assuming people don't get whiny and leave.
Unlike these games though, there is limited resources, which mean Rathgar was the strongest as long as it was united (which it wasn't already). Plus, with the expansion of the game, it would have been a comparatively smaller realm over time. The headstart in this game is only building time, after that, food consumption limits your army.
There was no other reason to disband Rathgar than because other players saw it as a too big realm and feared it, even when it was not aggressive. It was disbanded because of how people outside it saw it.
What changed was that the color of the north is not plain yellow, but there is various colors now.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 11:05:30 am »

Not trying to drag that Drama over here, but I find the point interesting and I think it's relevant to people wanting to play the game.

If you want to offer a game with RP and political drama, Dev-intervention should not be a thing in my opinion. Roleplaying largely depends on being consequent with your role, and accepting the good with the bad. If the community just cries foul every time someone gets up a big alliance and it gets hammered afterwards, what's the point of trying to achieve something in the first place?

To give an example, in my opinion it's naive and childish to expect bigger players to willingly cripple themselves by fabricated events or handycaps, to adjust to smaller ones. The idea should be, that the smaller ones either unite against the common bigger threat, or try to survive via political means or tribute until they're big enough to compete.

Dont get me wrong, cooperation is also important. Sometimes it can be fun to create a crisis as a big player, just so it gets interesting again. And it's also cool to sometimes lend Newcomers a hand to get some more competition going. But if the Dev would come around to just nuke a Realm once it gets to a certain size, I dont see the point of even trying to go beyond a certain amount of progress.

And if stuff like that really bothers Tom, he should just implement some backdraws to larger armies. Slower moving, Supply-issues, whatever. But just forcing your Players to disband their alliances or outright nuking them himself is bullcrap.

The drama was Codex drama, not MaF drama. We can still discuss MaF. Regardless of how it feels to the player who became powerful, if people feel that one group is too dominant, they quit. That's what happened in the others games I talked about. One group became so powerful it wasn't worth playing anymore. Rathgar was more powerful than the entire rest of the game and the Empire players were quitting at a rapid rate. Even single Rathgar clans had armies more powerful than other major realms, or even multiple other major realms.

My problem is that people are selecting political solutions from real life when the game is not at all comparable to real life. There are no historical cultural conflicts within Rathgar like in real world empires. Players in the other nations can just quit, unlike in real life where there is no off button. Well there is but it doesn't let you do other fun things, you just aren't anymore. No more you. There is no death among powerful rulers which can cause various conflicts. Players are essentially immortal given the speed a browser game moves.

Real life politics is not effective in a video game. Of any kind. Because those strategies are based on parts of real life that don't exist in the simulation of MaF.

Rathgar can roleplay a united nation all it wants, even though it wasn't supposed to be one, but they can't get mad when there is push back to that. Sure they can demand that they get to roleplay their super nation until every other player in the game quits. But since Tom is trying to make a living, or part of one, on these games, do they really think he can allow that?

I know it seems like there are easy solutions to this stuff but there aren't. That's what all my references to other games are. Hundreds, if you count each universe or reset, of examples of what happens when one group gets to strong. Everyone else leaves. I've had fun roleplaying a leader on a weak side and drumming up support, both inside and out of game. But when it gets to the point where it is in MaF that's not roleplaying the underdog. That's roleplaying the person who already lost. No one has any long term desire to do that.

Rathgar, or a clan in Rathgar, started the war. Then when the enemy started to overcome said clan the entirety of Rathgar came in and stomped it. So aggressive Rathgar clans have no risk in aggressing other player states, because if they start to lose Rathgar lands they can bring down the hammer.

Major Rathgar players understand this problem and agree with it. Megalomaniacal Rathgar clan rulers don't give a crap. Part of the agreement for playing Might and Fealty was to not become overpowered. This is a common rule in many roleplay communities. You have to give other people a chance to be involved. Being much more gamey than is normal probably confused certain Rathgar leadership into not understanding this rule. Or perhaps Tom was unaware that most people cannot handle cooperative roleplaying very well. Its rather a niche activity. I personally am not the best at it.

If you disagree, perhaps you'd like to point out stable mmos which have resolved the problems of one side eventually becoming more powerful than everyone else. And I mean everything on the table MMOs. WoW or Planetside don't count. Also any MMO over 400000 active people in one universe doesn't count. Because that is not an option available to Tom, balancing by sheer game size.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 07:26:08 am »

By those restrictions, I dont have an example (duh). But this stuff just speaks against the game and not the people playing it imho. If the Dev has to run around with the Delete-Function every once in a while, i'd say the game lacks certain features and possiblities, or as Tom says it, Players. But both of those scenarios just basically convince me that the game is not worth playing either way. Games like EVE or similiar titles fix it by either the sheer amount of players, or plenty of mechanics to deal with people that are much bigger than yourself.

I stand by my point. With Dev-Intervention being a thing in a Game like this, the outcome and progression im "allowed" to make are limited and eventually predetermined. Expecting people to play by some arbitary rules of fairness goes pretty much against anything I find interesting in political- and other Drama.

Maybe the Game would improve in this regard when (or better "if") it gets more players, or the amount of possibilities via Gameplay increase. Otherwise I cant really see where it would offer anything more than just Roleplaying on the table or via Forums (Or Games like CK2 or the like.)
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 08:11:21 am »

Wow, my town really is in the middle of everything, according to the map..

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 12:33:43 pm »

By those restrictions, I dont have an example (duh).Of course you have no examples. Because you cannot create a game that stabilizes without either having a world too large for one group to dominate. There is a reason every single long lasting text based mmo has world resets or multiple universe. Its simply the only way to handle the issue. But this stuff just speaks against the game and not the people playing it imho. If the Dev has to run around with the Delete-Function every once in a while, i'd say the game lacks certain features and possiblities, or as Tom says it, Players. But both of those scenarios just basically convince me that the game is not worth playing either way. Games like EVE or similiar titles fix it by either the sheer amount of players, or plenty of mechanics to deal with people that are much bigger than yourself.

I stand by my point. With Dev-Intervention being a thing in a Game like this, the outcome and progression im "allowed" to make are limited and eventually predetermined. Expecting people to play by some arbitary rules of fairness goes pretty much against anything I find interesting in political- and other Drama.

Maybe the Game would improve in this regard when (or better "if") it gets more players, or the amount of possibilities via Gameplay increase. Otherwise I cant really see where it would offer anything more than just Roleplaying on the table or via Forums (Or Games like CK2 or the like.)

Well, I'm not going to argue. Tom was foolish to open up a roleplaying based game to the general public. If you play the various Imperium Offtopicum games on the CivFan forum the game runner will often intervene in certain cases. Because they are not smart enough to design a robust game system.

No game has any mechanics to deal with players/groups much stronger than one's self. That's just nonsense. The majority of text based browser games that work well are made by companies who can afford to accrue large enough player bases to limit a single group. As long as outside communities like Goons for example don't come in and ruin it. Which they often do. In that case we get back to the major solution, which can often discourage groups like Goons.

Nearly every major text based mmo like browser game has either universe restarts or launches tons of new universes to deal with the problem of one side becoming too powerful.

The ones that haven't, like Bloc and MaF, invariable go down the shitter as power continues to build on one side.

So, when you say that MaF is not worth playing I agree. But since Tom invested so much time and effort into it, he has no choice but to do dev intervention. Even if it doesn't save the game, it delays its total collapse. As I said, the worst of some terrible options.

If you think there is some sort of gameplay mechanic that can save MaF, without being just as restrictive as dev intervention, look at EVE. Even the paragon of open sandbox MMOs is collapsing under the weight of super coalitions, except for hi-sec, but the game play there is so dull it doesn't matter.

However, there are lots of roleplayers who purposefully refuse to exploit the rules of a system to dominate it who would be fine with MaF. Granted, I'm not certain a large enough number of them know it exists and care for text based browser games. Limiting oneself to maintain game equilibrium is an inherent part of roleplaying.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 01:33:13 pm »

It could probably be better handled by throwing up strong incentives for groups of players to start up rebellions if a big realm gets too big for its britches.  Instead of manhandling it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4