Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what do you want to know? (SETTING)

General! (Like SparkNotes for history!)
- 0 (0%)
Civilian! (Common ways of life in the future and you!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Military! (Everything protective, destructive, and inbetween!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Criminal! (Not everythings a bright ray of sunshine!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Politics! (Glorious, good old factionalism!)
- 2 (33.3%)
Tech! (Prostetics, cloning, electronic fields oh my!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Other! (List in a post what you want!)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]

Author Topic: Survival At Its Finest: Waking Up From Sleep Mode (Q&A)  (Read 58112 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: Waking Up From Sleep Mode (Q&A)
« Reply #480 on: June 11, 2014, 02:38:14 pm »

These perks are really cool.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 11, 2014, 02:44:29 pm »

Hm. What does a Death-Defying Action do? Does it directly Defy Death, or is it more like Ignore Death For A Bit While Doing Something Else?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 11, 2014, 11:45:18 pm »

That's actually quite cool. Frogdo has now essentially become Ali G.

I'll add onto the 'what is death defying action' question.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 12, 2014, 09:20:07 am »

Read the OP, guys.

From there:
Death Defying Actions: These are only available when you are brought below the red line. You can attempt them anytime you are below the red line, but the penalties for failing them (or success in some cases) is always death. However! If you succeed, you are brought back to Badly Wounded. Death Defying Actions are always the first action in a round, with multiples depending on initiative. Note that the Iron Man attribute doesn't work on people attempting Death Defying Actions.
The actions are:

- Massed Flee
-- You attempt to flee the entire situation and every enemy around you.
-- Every enemy in range to strike you gets a free attempt to do so, if a single hit lands you die.
-- If you succeed however, you go back to Badly Wounded.
-- There has to be enemies in range to strike you however.

- Massed Assault
-- You attempt to strike every enemy within range of you
-- You get a free attack on every enemy in range, if you miss a single hit however you die.
-- If you succeed, you go back to Badly Wounded.
-- There has to be enemies in range of you however.

- Critical Moment
-- You do something absolutely crazy with the last of your strength.
-- You get a free critical on almost any action of your choice, you die afterwards.
--- If the action chosen is an attack, the enemy is assumed to have rolled a one to dodge/resist it.

- Deadly Face Palm
-- This only and always activates if you are dying due to your own actions
-- You attempt an attack on yourself, and if you succeed to strike yourself you die.

Although to be fair, I think I'm the only one who has had to do a death defying action.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 12, 2014, 04:23:47 pm »

Well, in my defense, it's been over half a year since I've looked at the OP. But now my trait sounds pretty useful!

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 13, 2014, 12:07:28 am »

Apologies, had a bit of a computer crisis for a bit. All (more or less) fixed now. I've still sadly lost two day however.

Death Defying Actions: To be fair: A) Its been a good while since anyone's looked at the thread, B) I admittedly don't say anything when I've updated the front page with info or restructuring, and C) Its only come up for one character. As long as we're on the front page though, I hope the directory has been as useful to you all as it has been to me. A bit of a bother to keep up to date, but it really pays for itself.

I'm not too terribly surprised people don't know about Death Defying Actions. But yes, basically DDA are actions that are (normally) only available for people below Badly Wounded. It allows one to bring themselves back up to badly wounded, but its risky because if you fail (or succeed) you die.

Its meant to be a sort of last chance roll, for when you don't have a medic/someone who can stabilize you, you know you have a good chance of dying, but you want to give it a last shot. So DDA's tend to be crazy things that you normally couldn't do, like taking a shot at everyone in range or trying to dodge all the hits coming your way to flee, or putting the last you got into one final action. Its honestly a lot safer (if more boring) to just drag yourself out of combat and get a medic to stabilize you than use them.

So in that light, Freddie's ability is strong, but restrictive and self-destructive. But I feel that fits pretty well with a man who almost pulled the proverbial trigger.

Back to your Regularly Scheduled Broadcast: I'm glad you guys like the perks. I tried to make them useful, fitting, and interesting. They were fun to think up and figure out, and it appeases my obsession with littering setting tidbits in a bunch of odd places.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:12:25 am by Xanmyral »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]