Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Early Medieval Arms and Armor Mod (11th-12th centuries)  (Read 3173 times)

kninja50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Early Medieval Arms and Armor Mod (11th-12th centuries)
« on: December 10, 2014, 08:07:29 pm »

Download link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10221

The intent of this mod is to change the era of weapons and armor seen in Dwarf Fortress from 11th-14th century
Medieval Europe to 11th-12th century Medieval Europe. An additional effect is the somewhat un-complicating of combat
and weapons/armor since there are less pieces to worry about.

Since most weapons in vanilla DF weren't historically used much in Europe until the 14th century (or used at all really) I decided to make this mini mod, which basically removes weapons and armor in DF that were used mostly after the 12th century. This serves to make a more Early Medieval Ages feeling and simplifies the game somewhat with less weapons, armor, and weapon moves in combat. It should also make the game slightly more Fun since you'll be lacking plate armor and armor specifically for your hands and feet. (Hint: wear leather gloves and boots.)

The new arming sword is between the short sword and long sword, and the flachion should be a cross between the arming sword and battle axe. The two-handed axe is just a bigger version of the battle axe. I thought about adding a two-handed mace, but I couldn't find much information about their existence.

Instead of using mail leggings to protect your lower half you will have to use mail chausses, and all plate armor has been removed (helm, breastplate, gauntlets, greaves).

I hope you enjoy! :)

Weapon and Armor eras:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Atir Ustuthborik, Metalcrafter has been possessed!
Atir Ustuthborik, Metalcrafter has given birth to a girl.

Fountainice, my first Dwarf Fortress Let's Play.

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
  • looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
    • View Profile
Re: Early Medieval Arms and Armor Mod (11th-12th centuries)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 08:21:13 pm »

No helmet?
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

kninja50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:25:25 pm »

No helmet?

Nope, only caps are available. They cover the same parts I believe.

I may look into mail coifs for a future addition to this mod.

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
  • looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:07:47 pm »

No helmet?

Maybe if dwarves can make masks we can have full face protection?
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

kninja50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:31:27 pm »

No helmet?

Maybe if dwarves can make masks we can have full face protection?
I don't think vanilla masks cover the face either, only togas, leather armor, chain mail, cloaks, coats, dresses, and robes do, according to the wiki. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Armor

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 05:36:36 pm »

Breastplates and helmets and greaves have been around since ancient ancient times, like bronze-age?  They fell out of use in the middle european ages due to the effectiveness of mail armor over padded clothing, though enclosed helmets never really fell out of use, they just evolved.

Pikes, great axes, mauls, whips, flails, those have all been around since ancient times as well.

I understand the focus of this mod is on a particular time period of a specific region of european warfare history.  During that time period, certain types of weaponry and armor were uncommon, due to the changing landscape of warfare in the region.  Yes, breastplates were very uncommon in 12th century central Europe, because a Hauberk was cheaper and offered excellent protection to the common weapons of the day.  That is, until metallurgy and crafting expertise improved significantly, as well as the type of dangers encountered on the battlefield also changed, then breastplates (for cavalry mostly) became the obvious superior protective armor in the late 14th century.  Helmets were always a thing, caps were just the most common for your men-at-arms due to cost and weight.

There are significant economic and technological factors relating to the popularity and general use of arms and armor in historical context.  The skilled labor and quality metals needed to craft closed helms and breastplate/cuirasses for normal men-at-arms was just not available in early middle ages, so mail and padded jerkins were the go-to solution.  Against a soldier in mail, one does not need the armor penetrating power of a war hammer or morningstar, where a properly tapered sword of the oakeshott type XI will penetrate just as well, with greater agility and more combat utility, and where a spear or pike (and they definitely still used pikes) were extremely effective at penetrating mail.

However, before mail was a commonly known armoring art, breastplates, greaves, and all of the multitude of Roman, Mesopotamian, and Persian/Arabic composite and layered armor types were also known.

What I am getting to is this.  Breastplates were still a thing, people knew how to make them.  Same with helmets and greaves.  They were just less cost effective and reliable than mail (at the time).  Pikes were definitely still around, and were still a core consideration in warfare.

And I know you are aiming to make an early medieval arms/armor mod, but I don't want to live in a world where dwarves don't have war hammers.  That is just insane!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:41:30 pm by Wannabehero »

kninja50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 06:45:09 pm »

Breastplates and helmets and greaves have been around since ancient ancient times, like bronze-age?  They fell out of use in the middle european ages due to the effectiveness of mail armor over padded clothing, though enclosed helmets never really fell out of use, they just evolved.

Pikes, great axes, mauls, whips, flails, those have all been around since ancient times as well.

I understand the focus of this mod is on a particular time period of a specific region of european warfare history.  During that time period, certain types of weaponry and armor were uncommon, due to the changing landscape of warfare in the region.  Yes, breastplates were very uncommon in 12th century central Europe, because a Hauberk was cheaper and offered excellent protection to the common weapons of the day.  That is, until metallurgy and crafting expertise improved significantly, as well as the type of dangers encountered on the battlefield also changed, then breastplates (for cavalry mostly) became the obvious superior protective armor in the late 14th century.  Helmets were always a thing, caps were just the most common for your men-at-arms due to cost and weight.

There are significant economic and technological factors relating to the popularity and general use of arms and armor in historical context.  The skilled labor and quality metals needed to craft closed helms and breastplate/cuirasses for normal men-at-arms was just not available in early middle ages, so mail and padded jerkins were the go-to solution.  Against a soldier in mail, one does not need the armor penetrating power of a war hammer or morningstar, where a properly tapered sword of the oakeshott type XI will penetrate just as well, with greater agility and more combat utility, and where a spear or pike (and they definitely still used pikes) were extremely effective at penetrating mail.

However, before mail was a commonly known armoring art, breastplates, greaves, and all of the multitude of Roman, Mesopotamian, and Persian/Arabic composite and layered armor types were also known.

What I am getting to is this.  Breastplates were still a thing, people knew how to make them.  Same with helmets and greaves.  They were just less cost effective and reliable than mail (at the time).  Pikes were definitely still around, and were still a core consideration in warfare.

And I know you are aiming to make an early medieval arms/armor mod, but I don't want to live in a world where dwarves don't have war hammers.  That is just insane!
Yup, you pretty much just summed it up. :)
The period of arms/armor I'm aiming for with this mod is the transitional period after the Dark Ages but before the arms/armor of old were brought back into major use you could say. I included only weapons/armor that were commonly used at the time and place (place being Europe since that's what vanilla DF arms are focused on), but I'm not trying to say that other things weren't in existence at the time.

I'm not sure if enclosed helmets were in use much in this time frame, it's possible that the "pot helm" was, but I haven't found evidence of this in the 2 afternoons of research I spent when making this mod. I'm also not sure if pikes were a major consideration during this time, the earliest usage of Medieval pikes I could find was the Battle of the Golden Spurs in 1302. If you have any sources saying otherwise then I would be interested in reading about them. :D

I believe it's possible that greaves and vambraces were used in this era, made of metal strips perhaps, but until I can find historical evidence of this and DF can have armor strapped onto arms/legs I decided to leave them out.

Back to DF though, in addition to this mod you could leave in hammers, plate armor, etc. for dwarves since they are better than the rest when it comes to forging. 8)