Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 62

Author Topic: Bizarre Magical Items  (Read 79967 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre Magical Items
« Reply #465 on: October 18, 2017, 12:21:30 am »

Intrest:
This is a simple silver coin which creates an exact copy of itself once every second, which will then start making it's own copies. If any of the coins are melted down or otherwise stop being coins, they lose the magical effect and become inert silver. Side effects of this item may include making silver valueless.
Silver will technically become valueless as everyone who values it (as well as everyone who doesn't) is crushed beneath an unstoppable wave of exponentially multiplying silver coins.
Eh, just takes some dragonfire to end the reaction forever. :P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 18, 2017, 03:17:07 am »

On one hand it’s potentially infinite energy.

On the other hand the magic probably either obey entropy or the setting doesn’t obey entropy anyways.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 18, 2017, 03:20:15 am »

Self limiting.

It doubles every second, so it experiences true exponential growth, until it melts or destroys itself some other way.  That means that after a short period, it will have reached sufficient mass to deform the coins under their own weight, and rate of duplication will slow down, limited to only those coins remaining undamaged on the surface of the enormous ball of silver.  Eventually, the doubling will result in a gravitational mass sufficient to crush all new coins, stopping the process.

In short, this "coin", is how you create a new super-giant sized planet composed entirely of silver. Just toss it out an airlock and wait.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 18, 2017, 04:35:36 am »

Self limiting.

It doubles every second, so it experiences true exponential growth, until it melts or destroys itself some other way.  That means that after a short period, it will have reached sufficient mass to deform the coins under their own weight, and rate of duplication will slow down, limited to only those coins remaining undamaged on the surface of the enormous ball of silver.  Eventually, the doubling will result in a gravitational mass sufficient to crush all new coins, stopping the process.

In short, this "coin", is how you create a new super-giant sized planet composed entirely of silver. Just toss it out an airlock and wait.

Naw, there's nothing to keep them together at the beginning, see? They'll float away from each other. This is how you make a goddamn nebula from pure silver, where it reaches such incredible mass after billions upon billions of years that it rips reality a new one and suddenly black hole, in which resides a new universe, untouched by the evils of man, where everything is silver. It continues to collapse in on itself, this silververse in a black hole, until the very atoms are rent at their ultramicroscopic seams.The laws of physics takes a lunch break while this creation rearranges its very being to new and exciting elements. After untold millenia, life appears. Centuries later, they discover that silver is the building block of life. The alchemic quest to turn gold into silver succeeds. And in this hypothetical silverse, an intrepid amphibian rules his slave masses with alcohol and fire to acquire a strange blue metal discovered deep under their home planet's crust, not knowing (or caring) what lies beneath...

The clinking of innumerous coins echoes from the darkness below!
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 18, 2017, 04:52:27 am »

No, the silver coins will have a net barycenter of gravitation. Even with them trying to "plink apart" on the duplication, by the time they reach planetary mass, they will have already begun coalescing into clumps of coins.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 18, 2017, 05:57:30 am »

Still would probably go full black hole. Eventually.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 18, 2017, 09:19:40 am »

What would it be like to stand on a planet made of pure silver?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 18, 2017, 09:24:39 am »

Well, it would be either a lot smaller, or a lot heavier, with almost twice the average density of Earth. Probably better to pick the former if you want to "stand", of course.

And very shiny, no doubt.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 18, 2017, 09:33:32 am »

The former would have higher tidal forces, though.
...Also it occurs to me that this planet would have to be pretty massive, because to ever stop growing it has to become massive enough to crush silver coins on the surface. Yeah, best not to stand there.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 18, 2017, 09:49:10 am »

I didn't model this or anything, but I'd guess it'd get hot enough to melt silver coins on the surface first, so you might be able to stand there after it's cooled. I'd recommend sending someone expendable to try, though.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 18, 2017, 12:19:58 pm »

Silver isn't a super durable metal, maybe the coins would bend and no longer count as coins long before they melted?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 18, 2017, 12:22:30 pm »

I think a coin is still a valid coin as long as you can see the queen's face.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 18, 2017, 12:37:17 pm »

I think a coin is still a valid coin as long as you can see the queen's face.

Looks like we need to make one of these coins and throw it onto some unimportant planet to test it.

Infinite Cloths Hanger

This ordinary looking plastic hanger stores clothing hung on it in an extra-dimensional space on an identical hanger.  When tapped on the top once it stores any clothing on it in complete stasis.  When tapped twice on the top a randomly selected stored item or set of items appears on the hanger.  There are rumors that a powerful Stylmancer can retrieve specific garments from this device.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 21, 2017, 04:08:48 pm »

Stylmancer: Rare summon with unquestionable fashion sense. Prefers to look humanoid, but can change form at will to meet the height of fashion in whatever society they wander into, regardless of what species said society is composed of.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 21, 2017, 04:15:08 pm »

Stilemancer: A magic user specializing in the ancient and powerful magical art of summoning steps to climb over fences.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 62