Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55

Author Topic: Roll to Become a Hero - Christmas Event, First Challenge: Siege!  (Read 81341 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is a dark time in the lands as the Demon Lord's armies have begun to lay siege to the human kingdoms, war rages everywhere and news of another battle being lost, another village be slaughtered, comes more often then news of a victory for the human side. It's a time where heroes are needed, and when many will step forward to try and become those legendary heroes legends are told about, songs are sung for, and people pay respects to even hundreds of years after their great acts. You six are such people who've come forward to forge onward down the path of a hero, will you manage to survive and carve your name into history or will you die with your name to be forgotten in the sands of time?

-----------------------------------------

Roll to Become a Hero is a fairly simple game wherein the objective is to become a hero by meeting three requirements, the first of which is to reach Level 10, the second to commit at least one Great Act, and to come to own a Legendary Item of some sort. Throughout the game you will take part in various missions chosen from a small set I offer to you each time you complete one, during these missions your aim will generally be to gain experience, items, and attempting to commit a Great Act worthy of the title hero. I'll be taking six players at first, and there will be a waitlist as I expect players to die rather quickly if they mess up.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Great Acts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Legendary Items (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Mysteries of Magic (click to show/hide)

Current Players
- Dermonster as the Level 2 Apprentice Necromancer Chronus
- Berius as the Level 2 Guardsman Jase Bladeheart
- Sarrak as the Level 1 Blacksmith Zein
- killerhellhound as the Level 1 Guardsman Mark Juno
- Unholy_Pariah as the Level 1 Poacher Elric
- Yoink as the Level 1 Merchant Shandrem Blanchfoot

Waitlist
- darkpaladin109
- scriver
- Remalle
- Xeron
- Pufferfish
- TamerVirus
- NAV
- Spinal_Taper
- Salsacookies
- Nidilap
- SaberToothTiger
- Hawk132
- Ochita
- Generally me
- Andres
- spazyak
- Illgeo
- Haveroszaur
- ATHATH
- Cinder
-

Those Lost in Time
- scapheap as the Level 2 Shepherd Clair Gemini
- Lyeos as the Level 2 Woodcarver Lucy Verim

Those Who Failed
- Sinvara as the Level 1 Science Scholar Aeryn Vutran | Slain by a Skeletal Warrior in Alerd's Tomb
- The Froggy Ninja as the Level 1 Scholar David | Slain by a Skeletal Knight in Alerd's Tomb
- SomeStupidGuy as the Level 2 Poacher Trevor Abbot | Slain by a Skeletal Knight in Alerd's Tomb
- BlitzDungeoneer as the Level 1 Cultist Zack Abrams | Slain by Peasant #2 in the Village of Belton

Hall of Heroes
None

Update Index
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:59:18 am by adwarf »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:27:26 pm »

Name: Chronus

Past Profession: Scholar

Trait: Exceptional Potential - You gain 25% more Experience.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 05:29:38 pm »

I'm in.

Name: Jase Bladeheart

Past Profession: Soldier/Guardsman

Trait: Sure Strikes
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 05:31:51 pm »

Name: Lucy Verim

Past Profession: Woodcarver! (Or lumberjack, if that isn't acceptable.)

Trait: Sure Strikes
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:34:07 pm by Lyeos »
Take a closer look at this text!

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 05:38:51 pm »

Name: Clair Gemini

Past Profession: Shepherd.

Trait: Charismatic
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 05:43:29 pm »

Name: Trevor Abbott

Past Profession: Poacher

Trait: Marksman
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Ethereal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 05:51:59 pm »

Name: Ethereal

Past Profession: Archer

Trait: Marksman - You gain +2 to your accuracy rolls when using ranged weapons.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 06:23:15 pm »

Name: David

Past Profession: Scholar

Trait: Encyclopaedic Knowledge - A +2 to having oddly convenient knowledge of relevant trivia
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:50:17 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 06:26:37 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 02:58:30 am by adwarf »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 06:34:21 pm »

((Is magic allowed for a player character to start with? If it is then I'd like to be put on the waitlist. I'll make a chat sheet later.))
It is not, you can learn it as the game goes on but you won't be able to start with it.

((So the plan is for all players to be warriors at the start and branch out to magic later in the game? Or is it possible to start out as a character that can do hitting stuff as a side thing and center on casting spells?))
Your starting base will be focused on pretty much whatever you want but you'll have to turn to magic later when you find the materials to learn and use magic, you can't start with any traits that give bonuses to magic.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 06:35:58 pm »

((Actually, waitlist me. Just found out there's some stuff that might interfere with me being able to get on for a while.))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 06:39:23 pm »

Name: Zein

Past Profession: Blacksmith

Trait: Ambidextrous
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 1
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 06:45:02 pm »

The six of you sit gathered in a room off to the side of the tavern's main area, you can hear the faint sound of drunken singing, laughter, and much talking through the shut door but all of your attention stays firmly focused on the board in front of you. It was the reason all of you are here, its the town's Request Board where several jobs are tacked up waiting for adventurers, mercenaries, and wannabe heroes to take them up and help the town out for rewards, glory, or more. Right now there are only three jobs tacked up,

Whispers in the Darkwood - Recently people in the village have begun to notice strange things occurring around the Darkwood, those who pass by hear strange voices coming from within that always remain at a whisper, some people have seen odd lights from within, and recently a family has claimed that their child disappeared as he was walking home one day with the forest being along his route back home. The family, and the village mayor is promising a reward for stopping the disturbances in the woods and getting back the lost child ... or at least finding out what became of him.
   Reward: 50 Gold Per Character, 4 XP for Quest Completion

Bandit Troubles - Recently a group of bandits has taken up home in the decrepit remains of a fort made to safeguard the highway leading to the capital, they've been using this position to terrorize caravans and travelers on the road. The mayor and numerous caravan guards are requesting you go silence the bandits to make the road safe again.
   Reward: 60 Gold Per Character, 4 XP for Quest Completion

Greenskin Extermination - For a few years now a tribe of goblins has taken residence in a nearby cave system where they've harassed the village and the outlying farms killing numerous people, countless animals, and burning dozens of harvests worth of crops. The people of the village have had enough and are offering a large reward to the group that can clear out the infestation and bring back proof of some sort that they are truly dead.
   Reward: 50 Gold Per Character, 4 XP for Quest Completion

Spoiler: Chronus, Dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lucy Verim, Lyeos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Clair Gemini, scapheap (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ethereal (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:47:46 pm by adwarf »

Ethereal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »

Do we just pick one of the jobs now?

I'd like to pick
"Whispers in the Darkwood"

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 06:53:01 pm »

Do we just pick one of the jobs now?

I'd like to pick
"Whispers in the Darkwood"

Likewise. That one seems the most interesting to me. Unless you want us to interact a bit now?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:54:41 pm by Lyeos »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55