Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 55

Author Topic: Roll to Become a Hero - Christmas Event, First Challenge: Siege!  (Read 81409 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 35.?: Final Preparations
« Reply #690 on: June 03, 2015, 07:07:50 am »

Working on the update now, while you guys wait have some lore tidbits to hold you over. This is mostly just general knowledge stuff to help give a better view of the current world situation, and key in on some major threats you all may, or may not end up facing in the end.

The Kingdom of Eldast

The Kingdom of Eldast is a nation that was forged during the fall of the Old Kingdom when the Demon Invasion first began, and numerous groups rose up to break free of the Old Kingdom's tyranny beneath a Pantheon of Gods that demanded the suppression of those parts of human society they deemed lower beings. On the western edge of the Old Kingdom near the last holds of Dwarven kind a slave by the name of Elidan led a revolt that would lead to a long bloody war ending in the foundation of a new kingdom who worshiped Elidan and a small group of his companions who managed to ascended to godhood. Elidan's bloodline is the royal family, and all of the nation's rulers originate from it as Elidan chooses the member he deems most capable of leading the Kingdom upon the death of the current ruler leading to no succession problems as the general populace (and most all nobles) are devout followers of Elidan.

Currently the Kingdom stands on the brink of destruction as the Demon Lord's vast army has fought its way through the remnants of the Old Kingdom, and the Red Wastes have finally begun to encroach on the eastern border of the kingdom. Most of the kingdom's resources are devoted to maintaining the war front, and with each passing season more and more soldiers pour towards the border forts to replace losses sustained from the intense fighting. However the kingdom does not stand alone as the Dwarven holds have banded together, and allied with the Kingdom of Eldast devoting their soldiers, engineers, and craftsmen to aiding in the war against the demon army.

Due to the nation's need to focus their strength on the eastern front the kingdom's lands have begun to fall into disorder as local threats well up to take advantage of the weakened lands. Goblins come forth from their tribal homes in the southern mountains, or deep in the western jungles to raid farming villages for supplies and kidnap humans for sacrifices to their dark gods. The threat of the Arch-Lich, and his undead hordes sealed on the island of Castle Gelden loom over the capital just waiting for one of the hidden groups following the Old Kingdom's Pantheon to come forth and break the seals unleashing death to the entire kingdom. Along side that Trolls, Orks, and the ever present threat of the Elven tribes who treat humans as prey ravage the countryside throwing the nation into a state of disorder.

However it is in the darkest times that heroes are born, and from the common populace a large number of wandering adventurers have begun to well up doing their best to cleanse these evil forces from the face of the Kingdom, and help those in need. For the right price of course.

The Dwarves

The Dwarves much like the Elves existed long before the Human race came to these lands, but unlike the elves their race was already in decline when the Humans were born into the world to begin their reign. The dwarves are master craftsmen, and architects capable of creating masterpieces and structures that were envied by all especially the Elven race who were poor craftsmen and had only their natural disposition towards Nature magic and dexterity to give them an edge. This envy led to a war between the two races that lasted centuries ending only with the arrival of the human race as the elves found new, and easier prey. While the dwarves created weapons of war that devastated the elven race their birth rates were extremely low while the Elven race was widespread and abundant. The war took its toll, and by the time humans came into the world only a few hundred thousand dwarves remained alive compared to the millions that existed when their grand kingdom was at its height and spanned the known world.

In this age of disaster only a few tens of thousands of dwarves still remain in the northern Dwarven holds, and the race has recognized their coming fate as even their Gods begin to fade from existence entirely. In their final hour some dwarves have given up entirely, and taken to extravagant lifestyles in their private homes, but many have decided to leave one last mark on the world. To leave the world so that the dwarven race will be remembered until the end of time for its might. With this in mind they threw their support to the Kingdom of Eldast, and now the dwarven forges sing with the sound of hammers raining down on metal, and old dwarvish war songs left unsung for centuries are sung as dwarven warriors march to face the demon legions in the Red Wastes.

((Note: This is basically copy-pasted out of my notes so there may be an abundance of errors.))

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 03, 2015, 09:12:27 am »

Great world building good job
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 03, 2015, 10:45:02 am »

Great world building good job
+1 love this game if though I'm not in it

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 03, 2015, 04:29:56 pm »

Can I be wait listed now as the thief I made a while back?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 03, 2015, 04:38:37 pm »

You already are, but as I explained before I just haven't got around to updating the waitlist. When I do update it anyone I missed can feel free to correct me, but just realize until someone new is added onto that waitlist I haven't had the time or motivation to shift through the past dozen pages or so to get everyone whose waitlisted onto it.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 03, 2015, 08:35:01 pm »

You already are, but as I explained before I just haven't got around to updating the waitlist. When I do update it anyone I missed can feel free to correct me, but just realize until someone new is added onto that waitlist I haven't had the time or motivation to shift through the past dozen pages or so to get everyone whose waitlisted onto it.
Derp my bad, sorry. :P
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 05, 2015, 01:33:25 pm »

Derm needs to either become the Arch-Lich's apprentice, or kill it and commandeer his stuff.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 05, 2015, 01:44:10 pm »

>Implying I'm not going to use his soul to power an abominable machine of pain and destruction.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 05, 2015, 07:42:32 pm »

>Implying I'm not going to use his soul to power an abominable machine of pain and destruction.
We thought that was implied when we said commander his stuff.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 07, 2015, 01:45:31 am »

Spoiler: Waitlistin' (click to show/hide)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: June 09, 2015, 01:12:43 am »

We thought that was implied when we said commander his stuff.
And while he's being tortured for all of eternity powering your stuff, you can use a Speak With Dead spell to force him to tell you his secrets! It's brilliant!
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 36: Goblin Extermination Squad
« Reply #701 on: June 18, 2015, 06:58:46 pm »

Entire Party
As your party gathers to set out on the goblin subjugation you're stopped by a man that comes running up the road in clothes of a finer make giving off the air of someone who if they aren't rich is at the least fairly well off. Introducing himself as Shandrem Blanchfoot he reveals that he's a merchant turned adventurer, and that after the little event in Belton the mayor recommended he come join up with your adventurer group in the hopes of replacing the losses suffered so far. With no grounds to really refuse one more arm in the mission to come you accept him, and set out in the direction of the goblin lair following a roughly drawn map given to you by the Mayor himself.

-------------
Later at the Entrance to the Goblin Lair
-------------

Somewhat cautiously your group begins to approach the cave up ahead through the forest that is quickly thinning out as it climbs the slope of the mountain, the area is deathly silent and as far as any of you can tell there are none of the greenskins lying in wait for you. The cave entrance itself would look normal if it wasn't for the crude signs cobbled together around the entrance, and symbols drawn in some kind of red paint all over the area marking it as the tribe's personal territory alongside several ritualistic totems created from what look like animal and human skulls off to the side. Pausing at the edge of the clearing surrounding the cave entrance you take a moment to decide on how to proceed ...

Spoiler: Loot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Chronus, Dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zein, Sarrak (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Elric, Unholy_Pariah (click to show/hide)

GM Note of Great Import: Encumbrance

So as we're all well aware currently there is no real system in place to restrict the number of items or weapons a player can carry at any time leading to things like Beirus being a walking armory, and Dermonster carrying a small library around in some kind of hammer space pockets. My question is would you guys prefer for the system to stay the same, and you all somehow utilize a mysterious invisible storage space capable of holding vast quantity of items or should I implement an encumbrance or inventory slot system of some form? Either way is fine for me, but I figured I would leave it up to you guys to decide.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 36: Goblin Extermination Squad
« Reply #702 on: June 18, 2015, 07:35:44 pm »

Meh, keep it as is, but maybe make us cull obviously terrible examples of hyperspacery.

Right up until we buy the Hero RV.

"Hm. Now seems a good a time as any. I was reading a text from the library recently that allowed me to summon spirits heroic and mundane. Let me call upon a scout. The book did not describe how they would appear, so prepare yourselves."

Summon Spirit.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 19, 2015, 01:24:52 am »

Finally!

I say to keep the inventory system as is.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 19, 2015, 01:34:33 am »

Begin overwatch, follow group.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 55