Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Priorities  (Read 1240 times)

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Priorities
« on: May 18, 2014, 06:24:54 pm »

I had an interesting event recently happen.  Due to a linux hiccup I lost some of the data on my hard drive, and this is how my loss-tallying went:
"There goes my large ill-gained music collection... darn"
"and my 4000+ firefox bookmarks... whoops"
"and all those research papers I need to read by August... crap"
"and the paper I was working on... shit."
"Well, this sucks.  Oh well, from now on I'll do regular backups.  Now I'll let off some steam and play DF...
OH FUCK!"

After a great deal of panicking, I remembered that I did a backup about three weeks ago.  After an hour of digging through my room I finally found my external hard drive and got most of the stuff back (luckily I haven't played DF in about a month!).  I think my priorities are a bit off.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:50:23 pm by snjwffl »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Priorities
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 06:30:30 pm »

I would be pissed off about screenshots and notes about things to write stories about and stuff in my DF folder, but actual fortresses, meh. You don't get bored of them in a week or two anyway and start new ones?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:49:46 pm »

I would be pissed off about screenshots and notes about things to write stories about and stuff in my DF folder, but actual fortresses, meh. You don't get bored of them in a week or two anyway and start new ones?
I'm the same, except for two.  For some reason I always find myself always coming back to Fishcrystals and Worthyboulder (currently, 20 and 12 years old, respectively).  I can somehow always find new projects to keep doing (e.g. mining every last piece of candy; a whole "castle setup", with city walls, inner battlements and a keep; draining large swaths of the magma sea; etc.), even if there are a few (real-life) months between them.  In addition to those are all of my nostalgia forts (my first decent military, my first candy smithing, etc.).

Beyond forts, there are my key-bindings (which are very different from the defaults, though I guess it wouldn't be too much work to recreate those; I play by feel, so I would have to just play and then realize what button isn't doing what it was supposed to), my worldgens (these would be a pain to re-create, since I've put tons of time into tweaking them to be perfect for me), and my raws (not too many changes from the originals, but enough that I don't remember them all).

Although, the issue that spurred me into action was the fact that I'd have to do work to get things reconfigured, instead of just boot up and vent.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:16:02 pm »

Your priorities are WAY off, friend.

Why were you thinking about all that other stuff, before DF?

^_^
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 11:22:12 pm »

Why were you thinking about all that other stuff, before DF?

^_^

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 06:13:02 am »

Why were you thinking about anything other than DF?

^_^

FTFY
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.