Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 58

Author Topic: Vanigo's Empire Game- Turn 72; Game over man  (Read 45396 times)

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vanigo's Empire Game- 5/6
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 03:24:50 pm »

I'm up for trying it out. IN
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Vanigo's Empire Game- 5/6
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 04:58:41 pm »

Yeah, but making things pentagonal is rather annoying on smaller maps, especially for resource distribution. It isn't impossible, but it is still annoying.

Anyways, here is the map.

Special Rules:
Pegasi Traders: You can buy pegasi from the flying pegasi traders at a cost of 10/30/60 money for 1/2/3 per turn.
Blood Mine: The Mithril Mine in the center has a cumulative cost of 1 food/turn/turn for as long as you own it. This cost is not reset by losing control of it. You cannot trade away this tile to another player, but you can abandon it.
-----
Any balance concerns about the map? Suggestions?
-----
In order to allow people to give suggestions about the map (without screwing over other people that have already picked), picking sides will be delayed until tommorow.
Ehh, scratch that. People can begin picking a starting tile (any tile not adjacent to a mountain is acceptable) and color now.

Tip: You probably want to start close to the river.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:02:47 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Vanigo's Empire Game- Map made
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »

Tile 4,4 as my start is my claim.  Color: Red.

Tip: You probably want to start close to the river.

There may be a lot there, but I want my capital protected by a buffer zone.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:09:03 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 05:50:39 pm »

x 20, y 3 as my claim. Color= Teal or Orange. Whichevers easier for you.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 09:41:06 pm »

X 20, Y 20 as my starting tile. Also would like Medium Blue
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 10:01:28 pm »

4, 3 Poipol!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 10:35:21 pm »

As much as I would enjoy you and Zanzetkuken having a battle royale starting on turn one, you cannot actually build a city adjacent to another city.

That said, if you still really want to fight Zanz from the start, you could go (6,4) instead.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 10:39:10 pm »

4, 3 Poipol!

Can you please get your own sixth?  I've already got that one.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 10:46:39 pm »

Didn't see him, Ill take 12, 19 then.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 03:58:42 am »

I've read the explanation of how the interface is used, but is there any explanation of the mechanics of the game? I.e. what buildings and units there are, how resources are gained, how new cities are built etc.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 01:14:21 pm »

If you look at a (owned) city in the admin interface, it shows you all the buildings, their cost, what they give you and what buildings/units they allow. Note that some units/buildings have more then one prerequisite.
If you create a army in the admin interface (by clicking on the box that says no armies->new army) then click on new unit, it shows you a list of all the units in the game as well as their costs (although not the buildings required to build them).

As for resources: Every tile you own produces resources each turn. A tile's resource output can be improved by building an improvement on it (which range from farms (+1 food) to mines and mana taps (which allow you to use special resources on the tile)). Improvements require that you own a city either adjacent for size 2-3 cities, or sqrt(5) of a size 4-6 city.
Land is claimed by clicking on the "Unclaimed" button (while you have at least one spare pop). Cities are built on claimed land by clicking on the "Uninhabited" button (again, while you have at least one spare pop).

You gain 1 population by consuming Population/2 food, and each population eats two food per turn (so if every population you have makes 3 food, you get 2 more population per turn, but if your average is 2 each, then you gain none). It is because of this that having higher food income is very important. E: If you have more food you grow faster and can support larger cities, which allows you a significant advantage. This is why you probably want to start near the river (since it will result in you having a faster initial growth).

Building anything requires labor, which is gained based on the size of your cities. Size: 2,3,4,5,6 cities produce 0,1,1,2,3 labor (size 6 cities require a special building to build however). Since everything requires labor, the more labor you have, the more total production you have. More labor is also extremely important. The person with the most labor will probably win, since they are able to grow the fastest (due to having the most production), and build the most and strongest troops.
-----
With all that said, I still need your and darkpaladin's starting positions.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:23:42 pm by lemon10 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 01:40:56 pm »

You get the resources for the tile your city is on, right? Can you build a city on a river? Co-ordinates imminent...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 01:55:17 pm »

You get the resources for the tile your city is on, right? Can you build a city on a river? Co-ordinates imminent...
You get the resource for the tile your city is on, but you cannot build any improvement on that tile (which means that you want to avoid building a city on a tile with a special resource that requires a improvement to gather).
There are three rules for where you can build cities:
1) You must own the tile (which is irrelevant in this case).
2) It cannot be adjacent to another city.
3) It cannot be in the ocean.

So, yes, you can build it on the river.

EDIT: If you really want to get a feel for how the game plays, check out one of the completed games.
Although it will take a while, if you go either of those threads you should get all the minor notes on how the game works (eg. boats can invade coastal cities, a unit requires full movement points to move into a enemy city, a armies initiative is determined by the speed of the slowest unit in it), what strategies work well, what works poorly, what to avoid, and what the winners did.
Note that the longer of the two games was using a older ruleset, and there are some pretty big balance changes between that game and now (although things work fundamentally the same).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 02:11:10 pm by lemon10 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 06:41:41 pm »

I'll go 6,14. Sorry for the delay.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile