Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35

Author Topic: Phantasy Star Online 2 - Fighting a capital ship with a laser greatsword.  (Read 56883 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

READ THIS: IF YOU ARE IN THE SEA REGION, YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR LOCALIZED VERSION, JP VERSION HAS IP BLOCKED SEA PLAYERS - THE MNGMT

Phantasy star online! There are almost certainly plenty of people that remember that game. The hunt for red boxes and timing based combos has, indeed, made a return. But, before I get into describing this, I'd just like to say, the game is only released in japan. As a result it's fairly anime! Recent events have made it fairly obvious they will not be releasing this game in america. However! It's possible, and endorsed by sega, for american players to play on the japanese servers. There's no IP block, and the connection is actually pretty good! Similarly there's a ship that english players have more or less made their home (ship 02), japanese players have more or less adjusted to the influx of english players, and on top of all of this, the playerbase has basically translated most of the game for us. It's a pretty sweet deal! If this sounds acceptable to you, then please carry on.

Phantasy star online 2 is, in all respects, a direct upgrade to PSO. Combat has been improved, it's a bit more monster hunter-ey now, loot is instanced, no more wrestling over those red boxes, any race and gender can be any class, you can switch classes, you can subclass, skill trees are mostly passives/buffs, offensive skills drop from monsters, it has it all. Read on for more specific information!

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Classes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: General Advice (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Force advice (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Useful links (click to show/hide)

That's that! If you're convinced, Go here for a guide on how to get things translated and how to sign up for a japanese SEGA ID. It's not super complex. Please note patching will litterally take days, even on the best connections. The game's been out for 2 years and it looks pretty good, so it takes a while to get up to speed. The PSO2 tweaker available on that website will both translate the game for you and provides a better patching alternative (Click the orb, find the option that says check for PSO2 updates, let it finish over the course of days, install the patches through that orb, you're good). PSO2 tweaker will resume downloads from the point they were at before disconnect/crash/cancel. Official patcher will not! Use PSO2 tweaker or you will cry salty tears constantly.

If you were interested in what the OP title was referring to, well, here you go! You can break off all those turrets and shit that are around. It's a great fight.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:28:36 am by Seriyu »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Well the fanbase translate it, not sega. An there'd be all sorts of legal shenanigans to go through to officially impliment it, an it's not allllll translated, so it's not quite an ideal situation, and they'd need a publisher or need to get sega of america in on it and bla bla bla.

All the important stuff is translated, though, so don't let that sway you too badly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Wasn't this on Gamecube some time ago?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Well, if I heard right, this actually is coming to America. They're having a beta in... July, I think. It was on Gameinformer, but was taken down.

Nah, this game came out years ago, and that's from the initial announcement of july 9th, 2012. It got me a lot too!

Wasn't this on Gamecube some time ago?

The original was yes. PSO2 plays more or less like an amped up, slightly more restricted version of that game, notably the combat has been drastically improved (you can actually die outside of normal mode! Quite often!), and classes are now limited to fewer weapons. There are still all class weapons higher in the ranks, which is the only way you can use a subclass weapon.

Plotwise it's.... barely related, if at all, if anyone cared about that. PSO never had an amazing plot so I doubt it.

Mags are still around, for the record. Everyone loves mags. New mags are cash shop though (just to clarify, you get one for free initially), so be sure to get it right the first time.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I played the shit out of this on GC.  I remember realizing I had played a LONG time, when I was feeding my mag every 20 minutes, and realized I was on my 8th count of feeding for that session.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I remember the Gamecube version too! That was the first time I used the name Sirus!

Must try this out.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

I have similar memories. I did eventually make it to ultimate difficulty (difficulties are still in by the way).

Several of the areas draw clear inspiration from PSO1 areas to boot. First area is forested, second area is a lava cavey area, like the 6-7th area is a mines-esque area (complete with little zappy robot assholes), and final area is ruins.

There's a few extra areas that are based off PSU I think too.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

I forgot some pretty central stuff to the game oh no! I've put it in the OP. Notably a wiki link and... well, if you like crafting, check out the crafting spoiler.

Crafting is very very useful. Kind've a resource/meseta sink, not much to it, but useful. And the best part is you can ask other people to do it for you if you don't care to! Wow!

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile

Registered an account, currently downloading the setup package. The registration page linked in that guide didn't work for me so I had to do it on the website directly and there was no service selection at the end to pick PSO2. I'm guessing the process changed and you don't have to add free services manually anymore... I hope. Otherwise I'll have to fumble through the website.

I've forgotten a lot of it, but I still have some knowledge of japanese from playing a lot of Monster Hunter Frontier a few years back.

Edit: O.O that is one hell of a long install.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:21:57 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is anyone else having a lot of trouble getting the kana characters right during registration? :/

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is anyone else having a lot of trouble getting the kana characters right during registration? :/

I had to retry a few times, eventually I got one that wasn't too confusing. just keep at it i guess :P

I'm in the middle of character creation at the moment and wondering which class uses dual pistols or dual machineguns. Ranger obviously comes to mind, but the Braver class mentions using both melee and ranged options.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I swear I had it perfect a couple of times, but I keep getting error messages.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I swear I had it perfect a couple of times, but I keep getting error messages.

copy the error message and dump it into google translate. Also, a lot of characters are pretty similar like あおちるわね and then there are combined characters like (kya)きゃ which is made up of き(ki) and や(ya).

Also, the cirnopedia wiki thing seems to be offline, is that recent? Does the website often have issues?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tried Google Translate, but it just says "There is an error in the input content. Please try again." Not all that helpful.
Apparently the captcha only lasts for two minutes? That's a pretty short time to re-input all the data and find the proper characters >_>

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well the fanbase translate it, not sega. An there'd be all sorts of legal shenanigans to go through to officially impliment it, an it's not allllll translated, so it's not quite an ideal situation, and they'd need a publisher or need to get sega of america in on it and bla bla bla.

All the important stuff is translated, though, so don't let that sway you too badly.

It's been officially translated to English by Sega for the SE Asia release as well.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35