Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35

Author Topic: Phantasy Star Online 2 - Fighting a capital ship with a laser greatsword.  (Read 56441 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile

I remember playing this game back in the day with a buddy. My biggest complaint was that smaller enemies weren't synced between players, so playing with a friend felt weird, as you'd see them swinging their weapon at nothing and somehow hitting monsters that are nowhere near them. Kinda makes it feel like you're playing two different games rather than working together. I dunno if that's changed since, but I know for a fact that larger bosses are synced, so hopefully the game has plenty of those.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Yea that was definitely a problem in PSO1 and PSU.  I think it happens in PSO2 as well but somehow I remember noticing it less often in 2 vs in universe or the original. In 1 and Universe I distinctly remember people being on opposite sides of a room and beating on the same rappy.  In 2 I very rarely noticed extreme desyncs like that.

It may be that I played enough of the Phantasy Star MMOs that I was used to it by that point and stopped standing out in my memory, maybe it was because I didn't pug and instead ran with small groups of 2 or 3, or maybe its just be because the game is faster paced you notice it less.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile

So it's out, I'll probably be playing on ship 2 when i'm off work later tonight. Hope we can get a clan together again.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile

Went to check this out. Microsoft store + win 10 only? Oof. Microsoft store says "currently not available." Is it it's way of saying i must update to last windows version?
Also, how they did split servers? If this thing will happen to catch me (i never was into grindfests), what is the chance i will be able to play with other bay12'ers(i'm from Ukraine)?  :P
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:30:11 pm by MCreeper »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yea it is windows 10 only, and from what I understand you have to be updated to a certain version to get it to show up.

Outside the US I'm a little less knowledgeable on.  I've seen folks on reddit say that people in europe have to set their region in windows to the US in order to see the game available for sale, but that's apparently something you can do to get the game and then just set it back to your proper country when done.

As for servers, I myself am going to ship 2.  That's where all my friends went, and it is where most of the folks who played on the Japanese servers back in the day went because ship 2 was the unofficial non-jp players ship back in japan.  I'm not entirely sure a designated list has been made yet of who is planning on going where outside of that.

EDIT: According to reddit everybody, their mother, and their pet rappy is going to ship 2.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 07:21:41 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eh, will fiddle around with this tommorow.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried it, spent 6 hours downloading it only to run into some mess of error codes that told me nothing other than "download failed". Gave it a few more tries thinking it might just be server issues. Apparently it had filled up the drive it was on (including an extra 20GB or so beyond what it said it needed) and simply couldn't write anymore thus failing. Once that was resolved couldn't get past the
"Press enter to continue" screen. Pressing enter did nothing. No error, nothing to tell me what was going wrong. Just no response. Best I managed to figure out is it didn't like my computer account being a local account rather than a microsoft account (even though I was logged into the store on a microsoft account). At that point I gave up and uninstalled. Not going to create a whole new user account on the computer to play a game.

Game looks good from what I saw, but the whole experience in getting to it was a mess. Sorry Sega. Please rethink your choice to tie everything to microsoft. A choice, I should note, you did not make your Japanese players deal with.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile

I shit you not guys, i can't update my Windows! Looks like it would be rather futile too. How did people get this shit to work "in old way", and is it currently available?  ::) Asking for a friend.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile

I played the game a bunch yesterday and had a lot of fun. Microsoft seems to have gone the extra mile and gotten english voice acting for the game. I'm keeping the english voices for the australian Afin cringe factor.

A lot of things could cause issues with windows 10 updates, some of the larger ones caused various issues in the past and windows 10 does weird things. If you installed it a long time ago you may be better off installing a fresh version at some point since old updated installs build up differences. I was pretty surprised by all the differences when I switched to my new pc and had to install a fresh windows 10 and so many things were different. Differences(and likely bugs) building up over time due to microsoft letting you keep some things the "old way" from back when you installed it can't be helping.

Any chance you toyed with some system settings in the past to avoid microsoft's forced updates? That might have caused issues.

Edit: the NA version of PSO2 is weird, in some ways it's further ahead feature/content-wise than I thought, in some other ways behind. For example, there doesn't seem to be a way to disable tap to dodge. I could've sworn I had turned that off ages ago on the japanese version, way before some of the content I'm seeing in the NA version
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:54:25 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From what I understand Microsoft is footing the bill for the move over to NA so that's why you have to go through xbox or the Microsoft store.  And yea lots of folks seem to be having issues with the install process, I was one of the lucky ones, but I know a few close friends having issues. 

From what I understand if you ever did any modifying to remove the xbox stuff from win10 yer gunna have a bad time because even the pc version is connecting to xbox servers.  If you did the hack to make windows 10 never update yer gunna have a bad time because older versions of windows 10 don't work and don't tell you why, and while the game says it only needs 10 or so gb of storage the game already has half a decade of free expansion content it needs to add, post install, bumping actual storage space requirements up to closer to 80gb.

All that said as far as I can see all the issues are on Microsoft's side of things.  And if it wasn't for Sega's deal with Microsoft people would still have to jump through all the hoops needed to connect to the JP servers. I think that's still possible, and their should be instructions for that earlier in the thread, since this thread was originally for the JP client.

Speaking of the JP servers I've heard that the folks in charge of the translated client for the JP version are working on a method to bypass the Microsoft store on the NA client.  So hopefully in time all that gets sorted.  I've also heard rumors of a PS4 and steam version in the works, but take that with a traincar full of salt.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:53:20 pm by Greiger »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it's more like "Microsoft pulled an Epic and bribed them for a year of exclusivity." At least from what I'm hearing. But rumors be rumors. The fact that there were leaks suggesting that it was going to be on other platforms also suggests that this exclusivity is a relatively recent thing and not the original reason it's being ported over.

I really do think the NA release has been in the works for a while and microsoft just came along at the last minute and said "Have we got a deal for you!"

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile

I just installed japanese version from pso2tweaker for now. I think it's borked (including missing translations) due to installing mid-update, though. Real quick - is there a way to pick secondary armor color i'm somehow missing, or the lewdest armor is forever stuck with this pink disgrace? All options in collapsed groups are greyed out - what are those?

Update in question is pso2tweaker update, in which they apparently offer american version. After it dropped, tweaker now refuses to download last 10 GB's or so and there are some missing icons in editor.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:00:16 am by MCreeper »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the armors and layeredwear only have one color per piece you can set.  Outside of character creation you have to buy the different colors too though people will usually sell that kind of stuff in their personal stores for meseta so you usually don't have to buy new outfits it for real money..  I think there's an item called a color pass or something to that effect as well that allows you to directly change the color of gear, but I've never used it so don't know how well it works and if it lets you change other colors.

The collapsed options are for modifying the locations of any accessories you added.  Like hats and glasses and such.  They each go to the accessory you added in slot 1-4, so go to the first collapse to modify whatever is in accessory slot 1, 2nd for 2, ect.

I vaguely remember having some very minor issues with icons not showing when I played jp as well.  Sadly it was a few years ago so I can't say how I fixed it. If I even did, I recall it being very minor and I very much fall into the method of "Don't risk major problems by attempting to fix minor ones".  Probably why I never really got good in computer repair to be honest.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 01:36:31 pm by Greiger »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile

Found how to make launcher download rest of the game, everything runs alright now. 68 GB's and graphics below Jedi Academy. Dear god, just how much hats there are?

Hub is bustling with activity. xD
Also pictured: absolutely nobody starting sentence with capital letter, evidence of me rapidly mashing screen button in a chat. Not pictured: dude in giant violet cuckoo costume that i missed despite that.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:56:27 pm by MCreeper »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Glad to see there are still some english speaking players on JP, I was a little worried that all the English speaking players would vanish off of ship 2 and leave all those friendly Japanese players that put up with us refusing to speak moon runes hanging :P.

An advantage of being on the JP servers is that they are quite a bit farther ahead content wise than the english server.  I remember when I last played on JP there was weapon crafting, the english servers don't have that yet.  You are also going to have a much bigger variety of clothing options.  Theres a lot of collaboration clothing in JP that I don't think is ever going to come across the pond/  Pretty much all the clothing options currently in NA are Wedding themed, edgelord themed, PSO1 themed, Uncanny valley Sonic, or having a day job themed.

P.S. I remember it being possible to buy arks cash if so inclined on JP something I didn't think was possible back in the day.  But there's a capcha. If you thought capcha's were hard before try it in a foreign script. is that the character that looks like a tilted smiley or is it the one that's a tilted winking smiley?  Who knows!  Apparently even the natives have to reload those because they are so impossible to parse.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:29:35 pm by Greiger »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35