Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Storyteller Gothic ASCII tileset [16x16]  (Read 17874 times)

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Storyteller Gothic ASCII tileset [16x16]
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:45:12 pm »

- --Storyteller-- -

When I made this tileset, I wanted to make DF feel a bit more like an ancient tale. I wanted every minute of gameplay to be like a page in an old manuscript or picture book lovingly hand-illustrated by monks with a strange obsession for cats, blood and cheese.

The tileset is entirely ASCII (with some artistic license) except for certain tiles, to make sure that the strange text and sometimes mixed-up tiles that come from graphics packs aren't present. I hope you enjoy it!

Pros:

-Beautiful Gothic script
-Terrain doesn't look cluttered
-It's ASCII so you can still retain your sense of superiority over graphics pack users
-High res gives more detail per tile

Cons (at least I'm honest!):

-I, J and L look very similar
-T, C, U, and E look somewhat similar
-High-ish resolution makes it a bit cramped on smaller screens

All screenshots are taken with custom colours on, specifically from Taffer's tileset.
Spoiler: screenshots (click to show/hide)

The tileset:

The tileset (∩ as ASCII):

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:31:58 pm by Dirtcopter77 »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Storyteller Gothic ASCII tileset [16x16]
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:18:03 am »

This is a very nice set. 

Would you consider making an alternate image for the ∩?  It is used for hills in the over-map, and appears a bit odd as a cross. 

(this is why some folks use ascii.  Each symbol is used ambiguously for multiple purposes, and if you make them too specific for one purpose, then they look out of place for another).

Also, why do so many sets throw out character 64 (@)? (edit: im a moron, 64 is bellow the 0, not above it) It's used for a bunch of things.  Does everyone just assume that you'll be using creature graphics along with the character tiles, so it will be redundant?

Edit:  I assume you don't use this with TTF mode?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 02:51:40 pm by puke »

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:16:27 pm »

The letters are beautiful. I'm going to try a new fortress with this.

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:06:27 pm »

This is a very nice set. 

Would you consider making an alternate image for the ∩?  It is used for hills in the over-map, and appears a bit odd as a cross. 

(this is why some folks use ascii.  Each symbol is used ambiguously for multiple purposes, and if you make them too specific for one purpose, then they look out of place for another).

Also, why do so many sets throw out character 64 (@)? (edit: im a moron, 64 is bellow the 0, not above it) It's used for a bunch of things.  Does everyone just assume that you'll be using creature graphics along with the character tiles, so it will be redundant?

Edit:  I assume you don't use this with TTF mode?

Here's a version with a normal ∩. And yes, I don't usually use truetype.
EDIT: And I'll put up a version with a better μ soon.
EDIT2: Done.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:22:44 pm by Dirtcopter77 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 06:31:50 am »

Might I take this font and merge it into the Obsidian Soul tileset? It would fit quite well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:03:15 am »

awesome, thanks for customizing it!  I really like the look of the whole thing. 

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:34:21 pm »

Might I take this font and merge it into the Obsidian Soul tileset? It would fit quite well.

Go ahead, as long as you give credit.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 03:55:11 pm »

What do you think about opening up the solid arrows (16, 17, 30, 31)? 

I like the subtle 3d work that is on them, but they seem to stand out from the light and airy look of the rest of the set.

Something similar to what I've mocked up here, except not as crappy and hackish as what I've done:

I don't mean to criticize, I really like your set.  Enthusiastic input is flattery, I hope.

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 06:24:10 pm »

What do you think about opening up the solid arrows (16, 17, 30, 31)? 

I like the subtle 3d work that is on them, but they seem to stand out from the light and airy look of the rest of the set.

Something similar to what I've mocked up here, except not as crappy and hackish as what I've done:

I don't mean to criticize, I really like your set.  Enthusiastic input is flattery, I hope.

That's interesting- I might add that. I originally had the arrows as giant arrowheads, because the sideways ones are used for ballistas only.

EDIT: Done. I might tinker with them a bit later, but they're good for now. I might work on the hearts, clubs and spades next, but it's not high priority.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:31:22 pm by Dirtcopter77 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 02:35:41 pm »

Just wanted to let you know that I added your tileset, with credit given, to the Masterwork DF mod. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 03:51:38 pm »

EDIT: Done. I might tinker with them a bit later, but they're good for now. I might work on the hearts, clubs and spades next, but it's not high priority.

Wow, nice!  I'm totally excited to be an influencer!

I'm pretty happy with how you've done the french suits.  How were you thinking of changing them?  More texture / depth like the current diamond, or more hollow / filigree like the new arrows?

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 02:54:19 pm »

Sorry for the late reply! I haven't checked this thread in a while.

Wow, nice!  I'm totally excited to be an influencer!

I'm pretty happy with how you've done the french suits.  How were you thinking of changing them?  More texture / depth like the current diamond, or more hollow / filigree like the new arrows?

I've got a 'basic' version of the new suits already on my computer, but they're not quite perfect yet. I refined their shapes a little to make them less blocky, and added a bit of depth (although it's not too noticeable).

Just wanted to let you know that I added your tileset, with credit given, to the Masterwork DF mod. :)

I'm honoured!  :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:59:59 pm by Dirtcopter77 »

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 06:07:18 am »

I love the set o:
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 01:05:29 am »

It bothers me that the default tileset is so boring compared to the few gothic ones there are.

because they look great

oh_no

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 08:19:43 pm »

How do I install this?
Pages: [1] 2